Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No F#$ckin BMI Way

Trying to figure out where to stop and hold so just figured i would give the BMI calculators a try. Right now getting to thin in many areas and starting to look sick,

So what is ths ............. Still obese? No way im losing another 45 (I could do it, but would look frale) Now I am totally confused

This is the results

or the information you entered:

Height: 6 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 245 pounds

Your BMI is 31.5, indicating your weight is in the Obese category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 144 to 194 pounds.

People who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.

Anyone who is overweight should try to avoid gaining additional weight. Additionally, if you are overweight with other risk factors (such as high LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high blood pressure), you should try to lose weight. Even a small weight loss (just 10% of your current weight) may help lower the risk of disease. Talk with your healthcare provider to determine appropriate ways to lose weight.

For information about the importance of a healthy diet and physical activity in reaching a healthy weight, visit Healthy Weight.

BMI Healthy Weight
BMI Weight Status
Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5—24.9 Normal
25.0—29.9 Overweight
30.0 and Above Obese

I've always said BMI scale is very vague; doesn't account for genes. Bone structure. Build.

I'm 6ft0 and I'll be happy to get to 185-195lbs but on the bmi scale that is 25-26 and overweight which is ridiculous...

I don't ever plan on being below 180. I got to about 195 in 2012. And people thought I was sick unwell...

I'm going to be happy to get to overweight status. Anything under 210 on my frame will make me look like a cancer patient. BMI is crap and I've said that for a long time.

I just wanna be "Overweight" and no longer obese. At least now I'm no longer "Morbidly Obese." Those charts are often extreme.

A side comment about being sick-looking...I found that immediately after my intentional weight loss (I was at a BMI of 23.2), I looked pretty Skeletor-ish and got my fair share of comments from others. My eyes sockets were dark and sunken, my neck looked sinewy and turkey-ish, the skin in various places looked melted-candle-ish, and I generally had a frail look about me (both as a self-assessment and of the opinion of others whom I trust).

Now, I am almost 7 months into maintenance, AND weigh 12 lbs LESS than my Skeletor phase (I'm at a BMI of 21 now), and personally I think (as do others I trust) look soooooo much better. My face has filled out (no more sunken eyes, my cheekbones don't look cadaver-y anymore), my neck lost its turkey look and I am looking surprisingly firmer and stronger all over (except my butt...still working on that, lol). Now, the fact I am eating more carbs, and keep up a regular exercise routine is likely a factor in these changes.

So I guess I'm saying that I think we need to let our bodies settle in a while before we decide that a certain weight results in a too sickly look.

...just a thought.

P.S. full disclosure though, I am getting an arm lift and side boob fix this week. Though in all honesty, if I hadn't already had this booked and paid for, I *could* consider not having the procedures because I don't hate them with the fire of a thousand suns like I used to...just maybe the one sun now. 😎

15 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

A side comment about being sick-looking...I found that immediately after my intentional weight loss (I was at a BMI of 23.2), I looked pretty Skeletor-ish and got my fair share of comments from others. My eyes sockets were dark and sunken, my neck looked sinewy and turkey-ish, the skin in various places looked melted-candle-ish, and I generally had a frail look about me (both as a self-assessment and of the opinion of others whom I trust).

This is me for sure looking like being sick - I will see in January if it changes will be on normal eating schedule and on maintenance so looking forward to it -

THIS WLS STUFF IS A PAIN IN THE ASS! but still the best decision i have made, If i go below 245 that will not work at all for me. Will look all messed up -

Agree @AJ Tylo I don't want to go below 185 either; personally.. unfortunately I don't really have any muscle at all so I'll have to start some weights soon I think :)

56 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

side comment about being sick-looking...I found that immediately after my intentional weight loss

If I drop weight too quickly i look sickly in the face. Don't know why but thats where the strain of the rapid loss show first for me

4 hours ago, AJ Tylo said:

This is the results

or the information you entered:

Height: 6 feet, 2 inches

Weight: 245 pounds

Your BMI is 31.5, indicating your weight is in the Obese category for adults of your height.

For your height, a normal weight range would be from 144 to 194 pounds.

People who are overweight or obese are at higher risk for chronic conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and high cholesterol.

Anyone who is overweight should try to avoid gaining additional weight. Additionally, if you are overweight with other risk factors (such as high LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high blood pressure), you should try to lose weight. Even a small weight loss (just 10% of your current weight) may help lower the risk of disease. Talk with your healthcare provider to determine appropriate ways to lose weight.

For information about the importance of a healthy diet and physical activity in reaching a healthy weight, visit Healthy Weight.

BMI Healthy Weight
BMI Weight Status
Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5—24.9 Normal
25.0—29.9 Overweight
30.0 and Above Obese

BMI charts are for the masses (pun intended) A one size fits all assessment is not likely to work for everyone. Too much diversity unaccounted for 😔

Perhaps Doctor's should add the very important category of quality of life/happiness factor in (addition) on an individual assessment basis.

That might change how people feel about which categories they ultimately fall into/want to reach/stay in 😬

4 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

BMI charts are for the masses (pun intended) A one size fits all assessment is not likely to work for everyone. Too much diversity unaccounted for 😔

Perhaps Doctor's should add the very important category of quality of life/happiness factor in (addition) on an individual assessment basis.

That might change how people feel about which categories they ultimately fall into/want to reach/stay in 😬

Yup! To me I'm happy with what I've lost so far. I'm off all my pills, off my CPAP and more, all in less than 2 months. I'm going to hit a weight where I think I look good, I'm happy with my clothes and all the ancillary stuff and then I'll stop. I may go 10-15 pounds under that weight, just for some cushion as I figure I'll gain a bit as I learn maintenance mode.

I had this same question and asked my nutritionist about it and my personal trainer and they both gave me the dirtiest look and in so many words said "bmi is f-ing stupid."

Im 236 and still "obese" lol ill take being an obese 236 all day.

My goal was 140 because that's what I used to be a few years ago. My dietitian agreed I should be between 135-140. I am STILL losing weight and now at 120 and think I still look good. I am surprised because I thought I would look sickly. I am afraid to lose more though because I will be in kid's clothes. =/

Body fat percentage is better than BMI. If you have access to a dexa scan or something similar go for it.

3 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

Body fat percentage is better than BMI. If you have access to a dexa scan or something similar go for it.

^^ agreed

So many people think they will look too thin at normal weight because being overweight is so normal that we have forgotten what normal weight should look like.