Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass surgery and holidays

mamakoch

Which bits, in particular, are you struggling with?

Have you tried any sweet stuff? I couldn't stand it! Now I crave really salty strong flavoured things and pickle juice!

When you are craving how about a Protein Bar ? that way you get a 'sweet' hit but fill up on Protein.

Be careful too much sugar or sweets can make you sick with bypass

At a bariatric group meeting we discussed what was termed rescue foods. These are healthy foods that we keep with us whether in the car, a purse or backpack that are readily available for satisfy a hunger pang or craving. In your case since you crave sweets a good Protein bar could be the answer. For me I portioned out 1/4 cup of nuts or shelled sunflower seeds and used them. I also use the costco brand Protein Bars. The key is to not use the rescue food as an all day snack. If you start snacking then you will in all probability start regain weight.

As for holiday gatherings, after WLS I tend to stay away from the food and concentrate more on talking with others. I'm also minding the kids while everyone else is eating. This way no one notices that I'm not eating since they are themselves occupied with eating.

At a bariatric group meeting we discussed what was termed rescue foods. These are healthy foods that we keep with us whether in the car, a purse or backpack that are readily available for satisfy a hunger pang or craving. In your case since you crave sweets a good Protein Bar could be the answer. For me I portioned out 1/4 cup of nuts or shelled sunflower seeds and used them. I also use the costco brand Protein Bars. The key is to not use the rescue food as an all day snack. If you start snacking then you will in all probability start regain weight.
As for holiday gatherings, after WLS I tend to stay away from the food and concentrate more on talking with others. I'm also minding the kids while everyone else is eating. This way no one notices that I'm not eating since they are themselves occupied with eating.

I like the nut idea but dk when I can have them. Also I do all the cooking.... It's hard to stay away

Sent from my 5032W using BariatricPal mobile app

1 minute ago, mamakoch said:

Also I do all the cooking.... It's hard to stay away

THIS is me!!! Me me me! I feel your pain to the soul. I’m only 5 days post op!

when I'm craving chocolate I take a thing of super low calorie vanilla yogurt (like Light & Fit, Two Good, or Carbmaster) and mix in about a half tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. If I want something more festive, I'll sometimes top it with a little sugar free Cool Whip and/or a few raspberries.

54 minutes ago, mamakoch said:

Protein bars make me sick

Sent from my 5032W using BariatricPal mobile app

oh shame, what about some strong dark chocolate that you can slowly dissolve in your mouth?

Mixing TwoGood yogurt with Protein Powder (I highly recommend PEScience select) makes almost a frosting like consistency. Very little sugar depends on the flavor of PEScience maximum 4 grams. But lots of Protein and low calorie. Even with a full scoop of PEScience it’s 190-200 calories for a whopping 36 grams protein. Very filling. You can top with a bit of sugar free land o lakes whipped topping to make it a sweet treat.

if you crave salty Snacks BariatricPal has so many options. I keep trying new things. Also not all protein bars are created equal, it could be an ingredient that made you sick or being too early on for them.

try not to feel left out of holidays just because of food. It’s that kind of thinking we need to change. And you can have your own treats in your bag with you that fit your plan.

and honestly if cooking tempts you too much, can someone else do it? Or get things pre-made.

I cook for my mom but have never been tempted to eat what I cook while I’m cooking. For years I worked on the head part of things, not eating just because my company I was with was eating or more so not eating what they ate just because .. I had a hard time if a friend gave me food I wouldn’t turn it away or waste it. She mocked me for it.

Honestly I’m not much good for advice in this department since it just my mom and I now. What little family we have is in another state, doesn’t care, and my sister would prefer if I didn’t exist.

anyway, the advice to occupy yourself with other things while people eat is also very good advice. And what food you do have, savor it in tiny bites.

Edited by Darktowerdream

I had surgery Dec. 11th a year ago and Christmas was easy breezy because you can't eat much and the surgery is still new and you'd hyper aware of making good choices. Remember why you did this in the first place and it'll keep you on track.