Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel so stupid right now....

You will be able to eat soon enough. Just try and get busy distracting yourself. Once the weight comes off, you can try on clothes and see how great your progress is and then the sacrifice will be easier.

Remember, you will be able to eat food again, but in moderation. Keep busy so time will go by faster!

This feeling is TOTALLY normal. Most of us have used food as a coping mechanism and now it's been removed. After a bit of time this feeling should ease as you develop different coping mechanisms. Hang in there, it WILL get better!

Totally normal - Its Called WLS head games - Just focus on how healthy you will be and how happy you will be

This is natural and normal and part of the healing process. ((hugs)) Doesn't make it any easier. Feel that sadness and process. See if you can discover WHY this idea makes you so sad? Work through it. It's an opportunity for doing headwork and for beginning a new relationship with food on YOUR terms in ways that fit a new healthy lifestyle.

Get out and take a little walk. You really will feel better and more empowered.

Ooh, empowerment! That's a great way to sum up why we do this. We are getting ourselves healthier, on our own terms. Thanks for adding empowerment as a good reason why we do what we do!

Nothing stupid about it! food is a safety zone and now you are living a different way of life. Also you are just a few days post-op so you are extremely limited on what you can have. I had to get some sugar- free Jello yesterday and it was the first time I walked thru the grocery since surgery. My mind immediately started checking off things that I can’t have. I thought that was very intresting! But this is a process which also deals with our thinking! You have this. Start replacing the negative thoughts immediately with a positive one. It’s gonna take time.

3 hours ago, RaeSavage said:

I’m literally sitting here sad. I’m sad because I can’t eat food. It sounds so dumb to me. But I’m literally MOURNING and I feel ungrateful because of it. I’m 3 days post op and I’m complaining. Is this normal??

YES 💚

Edited by GreenTealael

3 hours ago, RaeSavage said:

I’m literally sitting here

Whenever you find yourself "literally sitting" it is time to get up and move! :) Makes you feel so much better.

I was sort of down yesterday and feeling stressed. Decided to go for a bike ride and I felt soooo good once I was doing it and then much more empowered afterward. "literally sitting" is a bad place to be. It is depressing, inward looking, unmotivating, and really sets one up for emotional eating. Getting some blood circulation to the brain and releasing some endorphins is a much better place!

6 hours ago, RaeSavage said:

I’m literally sitting here sad. I’m sad because I can’t eat food. It sounds so dumb to me. But I’m literally MOURNING and I feel ungrateful because of it. I’m 3 days post op and I’m complaining. Is this normal??

Yes fairly normal. 10 days out and HUNGRY ! lol Think I'll have some Soup.

Edited by Billy Bob

6 hours ago, RaeSavage said:

Perfectly normal hun, don't feel bad about feeling bad. This is a huge change so mourning the loss of what you knew is pretty healthy behaviour, as long as you think it through, understand why you feel this way then focus on moving forward. xx

It's particularly difficult during the liquid and soft food phases after surgery when there is so little variety in what you can eat. I'm now in maintenance and can eat a broad range of foods in small quantities--and I don't want any more than that. I feel essentially "normal" at this point.

@raesavage yessss🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻. I’m 6 days post op and was trying to figure out, “am I seriously hungry after surgery? Did I do this for nothing?” But once I get to do something..I see I’m not hungry, just craving. Just wanting to eat out of boredom or comfort or for whatever reason. It’s SO hard. I’m broken down a couple times. It’s shown me how addicted I am to food.