Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about caffeine

Hi Everyone,

If I wasn't in the dread of finals week, I would research this myself, but I figured someone here might know the answer.

I'm in the pre-surgery diet stage, surgery is on the 18th. I have been following the no-caffeine rule and am off it; drinking Decaf.

My questions are:

1.) If your doctor took you off caffeine was it because of carbonated pop? Or, do you know if it is the actual caffeine in all products?

2.) What is the pre-surgery reason for coming off caffeine?

The basis for my questions come from wondering if I can add a bit of caffeinated coffee to my diet right now (finals) - not pop (I'm tracking on carbonation), but coffee. I don't want to mess anything up, obviously, and I know my liver needs to shrink. Strikingly, I Googled a tiny bit and what I found was that the latest research indicates that coffee actually helps remove fat from the liver, thereby shrinking it. As you can imagine, that sounds positive for me, but....I want to check here and see if anyone knows that actual, specific medical reason (not just the blanket answer).

Thanks.

Red

I did not have a no caffeine rule pre-op so I'm not sure why you did but I know all doctors are different. I also only had a 1 day pre-op diet.

I stopped caffeine the day of surgery and haven't had any since.

No caffeine restrictions here but carbonation is really tough on the tummy

I drink a Diet coke every morning it is hard to do but i need the caffeine to make me happy!

I didn’t have any restrictions pre-op so that wasn’t a problem, but my surgeon had some restrictions after surgery. Caffeine can act like a diuretic so they want to make sure you are hitting your daily Water goals before allowing it back. I was hitting my goals right after surgery but waited about a month until I started drinking it again. Good luck though, finals are definitely rough with no caffeine!!

1 hour ago, RedDackel said:

Hi Everyone,

If I wasn't in the dread of finals week, I would research this myself, but I figured someone here might know the answer.

I'm in the pre-surgery diet stage, surgery is on the 18th. I have been following the no-caffeine rule and am off it; drinking Decaf.

My questions are:

1.) If your doctor took you off caffeine was it because of carbonated pop? Or, do you know if it is the actual caffeine in all products?

2.) What is the pre-surgery reason for coming off caffeine?

The basis for my questions come from wondering if I can add a bit of caffeinated coffee to my diet right now (finals) - not pop (I'm tracking on carbonation), but coffee. I don't want to mess anything up, obviously, and I know my liver needs to shrink. Strikingly, I Googled a tiny bit and what I found was that the latest research indicates that coffee actually helps remove fat from the liver, thereby shrinking it. As you can imagine, that sounds positive for me, but....I want to check here and see if anyone knows that actual, specific medical reason (not just the blanket answer).

Thanks.

Red

If you want a little black coffee during finals it won't do a thing, go for it ! 0 coffee 3 days prior and at least 30 days post you will be just fine , + what Karlee Al and Ivida said. I stopped 2 day pre op and wll wait 6-8 weeks ( a healing stappleline loves an + alkaline lower P H environment .) untill I bring it back. Love my morning coffee ! :)

I was told decalf before surgery, but at my 1 month follow up they said I could add it in in moderation. I have a 12 oz cup of coffee 4-5 days/week and my doctor is fine with that. They just said don't have like 3 cups a day.

I think it is to avoid any irritation that could delay healing or cause ulceration. I switched to Decaf as well, but then just went to herbal teas, as the decaf tasted like dirty Water after surgery. Avoid acid (even in decaf) is a good idea.

They had me wean off caffeine before surgery. I"m not sure if it was necessary for the surgery, or if they just wanted me weaned off ahead of time so it was one less change I'd need to make post-surgery (I couldn't have caffeine until I was six months post-op)

I was just told to reduce it, I'm sure it can increase stomach acid. Caffeine also restricts blood vessels so wouldn't be good post op for healing but honestly if you could stick to one a day during exams you will be fine. Also good luck with them!

I had no caffeine (hardest thing i have ever done physically- seriously) as of 3 days before surgery and i got back on the caffeine like 4 wish weeks after. Every Dr is different. I noticed Drs in Europe and some in Australia and even mexico say you can have caffein right away... it is the caffeine though not coffee in and of itself. Caffeine is acidic and can hurt your new sleeve so pre surgery it shouldn't be an issue really. I know some quit caffeine for life or years.

Yea Aussie here my surgeon had no issues with coffee or tea in general