Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG cramping after purees, otherwise I'm a bottomless pit for fluids

I was moved to purees end of week 2. I noticed that my stomach cramps at anything not liquid. After 10-15 minutes of cramping, it stops and I just feel full for an hour (and much happier). Is this typical? Doesn't matter what the puree is! I have an extremely difficult time burping and I think air may play a role here.

Second, I can drink liquids without ever getting full. 8-10 oz an hour...maybe even more. I definitely get full on 3oz puree, but Water or Protein Drink is simply this bottomless pit with no resistance. I accidentally gulped water after a walk out of habit, braced for the overflow, and found it went right on through anyway. Also typical?

4 DAYS OUT , SAME WITH ME ON Water AND shakes. FUNNEL EFFECT. DOESN'T WORK WITH THICK Soups OR SOLIDS THOUGH.

Take your time moving to the next phase we all are different, Just because they say 2 weeks your body is the time decider. Go with lighter and less. Just take a little at a time over 30 min. If you are cramped or does that mean you are full stop.

This is a pain in the ass to figure out, how much you can handle and how fast took me a long time. No reason to be uncomfortable so let your body tell you.

10 hours ago, jason2483 said:

I was moved to purees end of week 2. I noticed that my stomach cramps at anything not liquid. After 10-15 minutes of cramping, it stops and I just feel full for an hour (and much happier). Is this typical? Doesn't matter what the puree is! I have an extremely difficult time burping and I think air may play a role here.

Second, I can drink liquids without ever getting full. 8-10 oz an hour...maybe even more. I definitely get full on 3oz puree, but Water or Protein Drink is simply this bottomless pit with no resistance. I accidentally gulped Water after a walk out of habit, braced for the overflow, and found it went right on through anyway. Also typical?

Yes, this is all typical and normal. Liquids and slider foods don't stay long enough to trigger your fullness hormones and this close to surgery our fullness indicator really isn't working. You have to use restriction to figure out where you're at.

YALL!!!! OK, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I was banded in 2009, lost 100 pounds, was at my goal weight for about 9 years. Then around Christmas of last year, I started having trouble keeping ANYTHING down. My surgeon said the band was properly placed and had not slipped. He removed all of the Fluid from my band and I gained 40 pounds in a matter of months. My insurance finally approved a revision and I had that done 4 days ago. I had no real pain, just some gas pain in my shoulder and neck. They laid out these tiny little cups and told me to "sip sip sip every 15 minutes". It didn't take long before I had both small bottles of Water drank. I was released the next day and was able to drink 2 cups of beef broth, I ate an entire cup of sugar free jello---last night I ate an entire can of thinned down cream of chicken Soup in the amount of time it would take someone who had not had bariatric surgery. I have not had my post-op follow up yet but my mom had the VSG about 18 months ago and she can only eat about a cup of food. She told me it took her an entire day to drink 1/2 of a Protein Shake. My goal weight is 145 and I am currently 169. (I am within a normal BMI and have no co-morbidity factors but the revision was approved because of all of the issues I was having with the band.) My fear is that surgeon might have been super conservative and made my sleeve/pouch larger than it should be because I don't have a ton of weight to lose. I am just hoping that someone reading this had a similar experience but felt restricted once solid foods were reintroduced. I feel like this surgery might have been a waste of time. Is there anyone out there that was successful after not having drinking limitations immediately following surgery?

3 minutes ago, MysteryJess said:

YALL!!!! OK, I am hoping someone can give me some advice. I was banded in 2009, lost 100 pounds, was at my goal weight for about 9 years. Then around Christmas of last year, I started having trouble keeping ANYTHING down. My surgeon said the band was properly placed and had not slipped. He removed all of the Fluid from my band and I gained 40 pounds in a matter of months. My insurance finally approved a revision and I had that done 4 days ago. I had no real pain, just some gas pain in my shoulder and neck. They laid out these tiny little cups and told me to "sip sip sip every 15 minutes". It didn't take long before I had both small bottles of Water drank. I was released the next day and was able to drink 2 cups of beef broth, I ate an entire cup of sugar free jello---last night I ate an entire can of thinned down cream of chicken Soup in the amount of time it would take someone who had not had bariatric surgery. I have not had my post-op follow up yet but my mom had the VSG about 18 months ago and she can only eat about a cup of food. She told me it took her an entire day to drink 1/2 of a Protein Shake. My goal weight is 145 and I am currently 169. (I am within a normal BMI and have no co-morbidity factors but the revision was approved because of all of the issues I was having with the band.) My fear is that surgeon might have been super conservative and made my sleeve/pouch larger than it should be because I don't have a ton of weight to lose. I am just hoping that someone reading this had a similar experience but felt restricted once solid foods were reintroduced. I feel like this surgery might have been a waste of time. Is there anyone out there that was successful after not having drinking limitations immediately following surgery?

First there's no need to keep reposting this on multiple posts - just once or make a post your own.

Second - don't think that because you have no restriction now that its broken. I remembered thinking the same thing and then I sat down to attempt to eat my first egg. Didn't get the whole thing in lol.

That said I think that doing what you're doing will cause you to fail, if i can be frank. Stick to the portion sizes you were given.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:32 AM, MysteryJess said:

Is there anyone out there that was successful after not having drinking limitations immediately following surgery?

You can't compare your journey with others. Each body is different. Take notes, pay attention to changes, talk to your doc. You will find your sweet spot.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:51 AM, lvidacovich said:

Yes, this is all typical and normal. liquids and slider foods don't stay long enough to trigger your fullness hormones and this close to surgery our fullness indicator really isn't working. You have to use restriction to figure out where you're at.

Thanks! I just needed to hear from some others that it is mostly normal. Now I'm cruising along with food....just can't handle those Calcium pills!

On 12/14/2019 at 12:16 AM, jason2483 said:

Thanks! I just needed to hear from some others that it is mostly normal. Now I'm cruising along with food....just can't handle those Calcium pills!

You shouldn't be doing pills, you should be on chews. Just my opinion

I wish I was bottomless pit for Protein Shakes lol but I feel pretty bottomless when it comes to clear, thin liquids. I can eat an entire sugar free popsicle, a whole bowl of broth, a bottle of Water, etc. As soon as it gets some thickness I have to slow down though. I am 2 weeks and 2 days out

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

What is it with the calcium pills? ?? They make me sick EVERY TIME I have tried to take them.

On 12/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, despacit0w0 said:

What is it with the Calcium pills? ?? They make me sick EVERY TIME I have tried to take them.

No! Do the chews, not the pills. The chews are like little candy treats for me at least.