Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I messed up, what was I thinking

Not sure why but took a bite of a string cheese thinking I could chew it up good enough. I’m still in purée stage. It did not end well. Hoping it goes thru all those small holes. I was feeling a little cocky up until then.

I wouldn't consider string cheese to be pureed food, but if its on your post op food guide as pureed foods you likely need longer before giving it a go.

If it isn't, stop, consider why you did the surgery, consider that you trusted the surgeon to do the surgery, now trust them enough to follow faithfully the food guidelines provided by them. Trust them to know what your stomach can and cannot cope with just yet.

Look. I don't get why we all think we must test the envelope.

But seriously...cheese will stop you up on the top and the bottom and is much too heavy for now. Avoid it till you're poopin like a champ and your tummy has healed a little more. The rules are there for a REASON!

Oh come on Fluffy - We are human and Pushing the envelope is human nature! I know i did it with M and M's God that was miserable. was down and out for hours.

So the bottom line have you learned your lesson or would you like more string cheese? We all did it, But dang out of all the things to test on that is a tough one.

Edited by AJ Tylo

10 hours ago, JTSC said:

Not sure why but took a bite of a string cheese thinking I could chew it up good enough. I’m still in purée stage. It did not end well. Hoping it goes thru all those small holes. I was feeling a little cocky up until then.

We all have slip ups. Just use it as a learning experience. Don't push the boundaries - it usually does not go well. :)

35 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

Oh come on Fluffy - We are human and Pushing the envelope is human nature! I know i did it with M and M's God that was miserable. was down and out for hours.

So the bottom line have you learned your lesson or would you like more string cheese? We all did it, But dang out of all the things to test on that is a tough one.

I understand it's human. But it can also be dangerous. Ask some of the vets here about the people who eat pizza 1 week out or fried chicken the day after surgery. The docs make these rules not to be sadists, but through experience...

10 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I understand it's human. But it can also be dangerous. Ask some of the vets here about the people who eat pizza 1 week out or fried chicken the day after surgery. The docs make these rules not to be sadists, but through experience...

There are people who ate pizza & fried chicken 1 week out?!?!?! Thats crazyyyy! I wouldnt even dare Im too scared for that, even now being 4 months out.

You're fine! You tried something, it didn't work right now and you learned!

I was only doing shakes and Water 2 1/2 weeks then my RD had me try all these different things but the only thing that went down and i felt no fullness or pain was string cheese and sweet potatoe i had to try something and today starts week 4 ...yesterday i had a small piece of boiled chicken on bone it went down great i can not do chicken breast i do not like meat that isn't on a bone all the flavor comes from the bone.....and remember chew chew chew until your food is almost like liquid in your mouth

57 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

understand it's human. But it can also be dangerous. Ask some of the vets here about the people who eat pizza 1 week out or fried chicken the day after surgery. The docs make these rules not to be sadists, but through experience...

You have to have issues to eat that stuff - However my Doctor told me he did a lady once who left the hospital and went to a all you can eat bufffet, She ended up in the ER and Died the next day. I was just making light of our little tests we get. See I am a Adam and I would have eaten the dang apple also, -

FYI has nothing to do with this thread - but I am tired of working and really need a life change! Wonder what i could do next year? Is NASA hiring?

2 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

FYI has nothing to do with this thread - but I am tired of working and really need a life change! Wonder what i could do next year? Is NASA hiring?

:) ((hugs)) Actually, I think they are. They are revving up the Space Program. :)

2 hours ago, MsMocie said:

I pretty much eat anything, but at a low stop. But, I waited about 6 weeks before trying to attempt anything out of diet. Never had dumpings, but told it is awfull. Can only imagine the cheese laying on top of the throath making it hard to swallow, and then it comes in return. Through the nose.

Ouch, the nose!!!! Oh no!!!!!! Damn, this is painful sounding.

3 hours ago, MsMocie said:

Haha, yes. The times I have thrown up it mostly has been for drinking to much straight after a meal. I cannot stand the "food aftertaste" so I allow mytself to have one sip of drink after a meal just to wash out. A few times I have drunk to much milk or tea and had to throw up. I comes shooting through the nose aswell as mouth. Not a pleasant feeling.

Damn!!!! I have been practicing the separation of food and beverage. My friend who had a revision from Vsg to rny, can eat & drink simultaneously. I'm jealous and still pre-op. Lol!

Yep one of my nurses in hospital said one lady had bypass then ate pizza few days later.. Was back in hospital for 2 months to fix what she messed up!!!!!