Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many calories a day do you eat?

What amount do you think you will strive for to be your “new normal” for the rest of your life?

that really varies a lot between people. I'm pretty active on another site and we talk about this a lot. We have people who can only eat 1000 and others who can eat 2000 (all women). I would say most are in the 1200-1600 range.

9 hours ago, BQT said:

What amount do you think you will strive for to be your “new normal” for the rest of your life?

five years out,

My maintenance calorie range is 1200 to 1400 calories. I eat mainly clean/healthy. I indulge within reason. Calories/carbs look different when I’m distance running (1500 to 2000+ depending on the event)

I keep my weight in the 130’s - When I have a slight weight gain, I go back to bariatric weight loss calories. (1000 to1100) to work it off.

This was asked at my recent baritaric group session and the majority of people ( me included) didn't count calories instead we strived to get in our 80 grams of Protein per day. I don't know if this something that is ingrained with this particular group but it seems to be the overwhelming sentiment.

45 minutes ago, Danny Paul said:

This was asked at my recent baritaric group session and the majority of people ( me included) didn't count calories instead we strived to get in our 80 grams of Protein per day. I don't know if this something that is ingrained with this particular group but it seems to be the overwhelming sentiment.

this is definitely true of a lot of us the first year or so. It was of me. After the first year, I switched to calorie counting (although I still count Protein as well). Reason being, you can eat a lot more as time goes on, so I can't rely just on protein counting. I have to keep my calories within a maintenance range, too.

I do weekly calorie averaging that looks something like 5:2 where I have 5 days that range from 1200-1500 cals and 2 days of about 500-750cals. I try for low carb most days but have some fluctuations as high as 50g of net carbs. My average over the week is between 1000-1100 cals to maintain. I still aim to get 60-80g Protein, 30g net carbs and the rest healthy fats.

I am 22mo out RNY and maintain between 130-135lbs. Today I'm 131.4lbs.

I still weigh measure log and plan everything. I try to eat only a 1cup portion for meals and will have 1 1/2 cups portion if leafy greens and raw veggies are involved.

I just averaged my calories for the last six days and I average about 714 calories a day. I started at 430 on the 2nd and yesterday I got 730 calories.

I'm 7 weeks out - told I need to be shooting for 700 calories, 70 grams Protein, less than 40 grams of carbs.

4 hours ago, lvidacovich said:

I'm 7 weeks out - told I need to be shooting for 700 calories, 70 grams Protein, less than 40 grams of carbs.

Ooops ignore my post, my maths was out...

Edited by Hop_Scotch

Just now, Hop_Scotch said:

Not sure how many carbs you are eating but if you reach the maximum carbs plus 70 grams of Protein that's 840 calories and if you consume some fats (which I assume you would be in some foods), your calorie intake is going to be a lot greater than 700 calories.

No. Protein and Carbs are both 4 calories per gram. 40 g carbs = 160 calories, 70 g protein = 280 == 440 calories total. As I track things I haven't had a problem getting to 70 protein, staying under 40 carbs and stopping around 700 total calories.

Sorry for the confusion, I had edited my post before you replied because I realised I had it wrong and it was quicker to delete the paragraph than edit it (I had hoped before anyone quoted it haha). Instead of 110 x 4, I did a 210 x 4 calculation in my head. Too early in the morning for mental arithmetics for me it seems :)

Edited by Hop_Scotch

On 12/8/2019 at 6:04 PM, BQT said:

I just had the sleeve done on Dec. 23, 2019, so I am in week-2. I'm going to track my calories later like "Fluffychix".

Two years out and I'm eating pretty normal sized portions (as opposed to the old super-sized portions). Haven't actually kept a food journal but I'm pretty sure I'm eating somewhere in the 2500 to 3000 calories per day range.

I'm 17 months postop, have lost 95# but still want to lose 13# more to get to my goal.

I eat 800-1,000kcal/day (my doc said to stay within this range forever)...try to get 65-75g Protein, low carb, low fat, no carbonated drinks, no alcohol and 3-4 bottles of water/day. I can eat about 1 c. of food/meal...if I eat too much, too quickly or drink while eating, my stomach will SCREAM at me and say STOP THAT!

I exercise 2 hrs (cardio and weight training) every other day which helps with calories.