Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories and macronutrients

Hi,

how many calories/protiens/carbs/fats are you eating and what stage are you up to. I'm not sure where to be at. I'm 5'2" and weigh 183 still want to lose 45 lbs and get to normal bmi. (I'm 2.4 years after surgery)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using BariatricPal mobile app

Are you keeping track of your daily calories and macros? If so, this may be a good time for a visit to your nutritionist. It's very hard at your stage (2.4 years out) to make comparisons to anyone else except yourself. By this time your body has settled into pattern that perhaps needs a little tweaking. Your requirements may be very different from someone who is losing at a different rate because their surgery is more recent, their activity level is different, their basic metabolism is different, their degree of malabsorption is different, etc. Things change over time and a good analysis by a trained professional may be the best help you can get for getting through the home stretch and to the finish line.

Are you keeping track of your daily calories and macros? If so, this may be a good time for a visit to your nutritionist. It's very hard at your stage (2.4 years out) to make comparisons to anyone else except yourself. By this time your body has settled into pattern that perhaps needs a little tweaking. Your requirements may be very different from someone who is losing at a different rate because their surgery is more recent, their activity level is different, their basic metabolism is different, their degree of malabsorption is different, etc. Things change over time and a good analysis by a trained professional may be the best help you can get for getting through the home stretch and to the finish line.

Definitely plan on going back to nutritionist my daily calories varies greatly depending on the day I'm just curious where other ppl are up to

I agree with AZHiker. That far out, that's going to be a very individual thing.

I can eat 1500-1700 calories and maintain my weight, but I know others who have to eat quite a bit less than that - like 1000-1200 (to maintain), for example. It depends on so many factors - height, weight, activity level, metabolic rate - it's really just trial & error to find your "sweet spot"

I average 100 g a day of Protein, but that's because I malabsorb it (we discovered this during my first year post-op. I may have malabsorbed it even prior to surgery, but we'll never know because they didn't do a protein "baseline")

I used to count carbs when I was in the losing stage, but I don't anymore.

i've never counted fats.

again, all of this is really individual, so I'm not sure how helpful it's going to be...

I'm 4.5 years out

Edited by catwoman7

I keep mine low 550 a day in calories and 75 Grams a day protien - Plus tons of Vitamins

6 months out

1 hour ago, catwoman7 said:

i've never counted fats.

again, all of this is really individual, so I'm not sure how helpful it's going to be...

I'm 4.5 years out

Edited 32 minutes ago by catwoman

I worry about the amount of fat I get in each day. All my plan says is to get 60 to 80 grams of Protein and to limit carbs to 100, but I never come close to 100!

9 hours ago, chayarg said:

Hi,

how many calories/protiens/carbs/fats are you eating and what stage are you up to. I'm not sure where to be at. I'm 5'2" and weigh 183 still want to lose 45 lbs and get to normal bmi. (I'm 2.4 years after surgery)

I agree with @AZhiker Years out, things look different. Best advice is from your dietician.

Only my two cents, Finding personal weight loss calories and macros:

to start, I set my calories in my food log app to 1200 - 1300. After two weeks, I dialed my calories down by 100. My body started losing weight.

Find a range that works for you (Dial calories up or down by 100)

How many calories per day have you consumer over the past 7 days? What Is your level of activity, vs when you were losing weight, and on plan ?

How many calories per day have you consumer over the past 7 days? What Is your level of activity, vs when you were losing weight, and on plan ?

I haven't tracked for a long time [emoji45] starting to track today. I'm going to see how the week goes and than adjust. Hope I can see my nutritionist soon it's a 45 min travel by train! And with my work schedule it's really difficult to find time. When I used to track I was at 1400 cals a day no clue where I'm at now. Been making a lot of bad choices. Hoping to get back on track.
About activity level also varies greatly I'm a daycare provider, so do have some moments where I definitely get in a workout running after the kids [emoji6] I try to go to gym as much as possible (at least 1 a week)

It seems like the place you are in is the biggest problem most will encounter. The various gastric surgeries with their "plans" seem to be good at taking weight off initially, but the maintenance becomes more of a "proper diet" issue, than a "post surgery" issue.

i am very new at this, but perhaps your best avenue would be getting involved in some serious weight loss/maintenance groups that don't really care if you are is post gastric surgery or not.

I would imagine you have an advantage over most people who are struggling with a lifetime of weight loss issues, by having a smaller stomach. But even a small stomach full of the wrong foods, can be more harmful to weight control, than a large stomach full of good foods.

Prost.

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I agree with AZHiker. That far out, that's going to be a very individual thing.

I can eat 1500-1700 calories and maintain my weight, but I know others who have to eat quite a bit less than that - like 1000-1200 (to maintain), for example. It depends on so many factors - height, weight, activity level, metabolic rate - it's really just trial & error to find your "sweet spot"

I average 100 g a day of Protein, but that's because I malabsorb it (we discovered this during my first year post-op. I may have malabsorbed it even prior to surgery, but we'll never know because they didn't do a Protein "baseline")

i've never counted fats.

I'm 4.5 years out

How did you find out you mLadsorbed protein? Do you have any symptoms or was it a blood test?

1 minute ago, 2Bsmaller18 said:

How did you find out you mLadsorbed Protein? Do you have any symptoms or was it a blood test?

blood test. My prealbumin level was consistently low, so my dietitian recommended I increase my protein level to 100 g a day (the usual recommendation my clinic makes is 60-80). Increasing it to 100g seems to have done the trick - my prealbumin level has been normal for the past 3 or 4 years (I have labs done every year at minimum)

On 12/8/2019 at 7:33 AM, AJ Tylo said:

I keep mine low 550 a day in calories and 75 Grams a day protien - Plus tons of Vitamins

6 months out

6 months out and 550? That's low! I'm 7 weeks and was told to stick around 700. You should be at least around 1000-1200 BUT use that honeymoon period and keep it up! I struggle to stay under 700.

I agree its low but I am on a mission to get this down and off of me. I do not struggle at all because I really have a hard time eating, So to avoid the pain i just simply do not eat. I have a nutritionist that is busting my ass to get the calories up.

I realize by the first of the year i have to get the count up but riding the journey down as long as i can. I am addicted to supplements, Vitamins and minerals and really feel good, so this calorie thing for me is actually kinda easy.

Big fear is when i do bump up calories that i put on weight -

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

I agree its low but I am on a mission to get this down and off of me. I do not struggle at all because I really have a hard time eating, So to avoid the pain i just simply do not eat. I have a nutritionist that is busting my ass to get the calories up.

I realize by the first of the year i have to get the count up but riding the journey down as long as i can. I am addicted to supplements, Vitamins and minerals and really feel good, so this calorie thing for me is actually kinda easy.

Big fear is when i do bump up calories that i put on weight -

I think (and hope) your big fear is unfounded. Anything under 1200 cals for guys tends to put and keep us in starvation mode so I feel pretty confident that we need to hit that or more to be in maintenance and would need to go even higher to start gaining weight. Will the loss slow down as we go up in cals? Of course! But not to the point of gain?