Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clogged/Plugged ears?

Hi All,

I've done my surgery early May 2019. That's been 7 months ago exactly today.

Clogged/Plugged ears

I've been experiencing some weird behavior with my ears past few months, I'm not sure whether my gastric sleeve surgery might be the reason.

My ears tend to get clogged/plugged. Speaking is sometimes hard, and if I speak I can hear my own voice loud in my head, to the point where I have a hard time listening to what the other person said when they speak at the same time as I do. It's really starting to affect my daily life, due to working within Customer Services, since I'm interacting with customers all the time.

I noticed this happens when my heart rate starts going up, such as when walking fast, running, carrying heavy stuff, some form of light exercise etc.

Spoke to my local doctor (Not one responsible for my surgery) she just listened to my heart rate and told me everything seems fine and let me go????

Supplements

While we at it, I would like this cleared out for me as well. How far in did your Vitamins drop, which then you had to take some form of supplements?

I visited my local doctor (Not one responsible for my surgery) 4 months post my surgery to have a blood test done to check if there is anything I'm missing. During that time, I was losing a lot of hair (?) The doctor said everything looks fine and I do not need any supplements. My doctor seemed to be really against me having done the surgery, she believes that it's unhealthy, which makes me believe she is not willing to put the effort in to help me. But hey, maybe that's just me (Planning on going to another doctor soon) She then continued on saying that she'll book another blood test for me within 2 months (Which hasn't been done yet, called her up twice within 4 weeks with no reply yet)

Summary/Questions:

• Is it normal that my ears feel clogged/plugged? Is the surgery the reason? Has anyone experienced something similar?
  • How many months post surgery did you need to take supplements?

Thank you for your time.

3 hours ago, Samteer said:

Clogged/Plugged ears

I've been experiencing some weird behavior with my ears past few months, I'm not sure whether my gastric sleeve surgery might be the reason.

My ears tend to get clogged/plugged. Speaking is sometimes hard, and if I speak I can hear my own voice loud in my head, to the point where I have a hard time listening to what the other person said when they speak at the same time as I do. It's really starting to affect my daily life, due to working within Customer Services, since I'm interacting with customers all the time.

I noticed this happens when my heart rate starts going up, such as when walking fast, running, carrying heavy stuff, some form of light exercise etc.

Spoke to my local doctor (Not one responsible for my surgery) she just listened to my heart rate and told me everything seems fine and let me go????

OMG, I could have written that! I had my surgery in March, and I know exactly what you are talking about. I can hear my own voice in my head when I'm talking and it drives me crazy. It's much worse in the right ear, but often in both. I can "pop" my ears and it's temporarily better, but it comes right back. I've seen a doctor about it and they thought it might be sinus congestion, but that's not the issue--I never had this before surgery.

I had not noticed that it gets worse during/after exercise, but I'll pay attention next time.

I'm so happy to see your post and know I'm not the only one!

I’ve always related my blocked ears to when my blood pressure would drop. I’ve had instances over years before my surgery but since my surgery in May my BP is low all the time & I have had blocked ears many, many times. I can’t pop them (yawning, drinking, chewing,...don't work). I just have to wait for it to pass. Interested to hear how common this is.
My GP got me to have a brain scan to make sure there was nothing sinister this week but all good. Thank gracious.

Hair loss is very common. Mine’s been falling out for 4 months now & I’ve lost almost 50%. Very sad. There are lots of posts about this with suggestions on how to lessen the impact but nothing’s slowed mine yet. My surgeon warned me it would happen. In his words: ‘You’re body has better things to do with the reduced nutrients you take in on your new diet than grow hair.’ He wasn’t wrong.

My surgeon & dietician told me I’d have to take Multi Vitamins for the rest of my life. I have blood tests every 3 months for my Bariatric team & my GP has had me get one in between. They’re tracking & monitoring even slight changes. I’m sorry your GP is not being supportive of your journey. They are your primary care giver & someone who you should be able to trust & depend upon for your health & well being.

On 12/6/2019 at 6:33 AM, Recidivist said:

OMG, I could have written that! I had my surgery in March, and I know exactly what you are talking about. I can hear my own voice in my head when I'm talking and it drives me crazy. It's much worse in the right ear, but often in both. I can "pop" my ears and it's temporarily better, but it comes right back. I've seen a doctor about it and they thought it might be sinus congestion, but that's not the issue--I never had this before surgery.

I had not noticed that it gets worse during/after exercise, but I'll pay attention next time.

I'm so happy to see your post and know I'm not the only one!

Like wise, glad to hear I'm not the only one! Got an appointment here the 19th of this month, hopefully I'll be able to find out what it might be.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:04 AM, Arabesque said:

I’ve always related my blocked ears to when my blood pressure would drop. I’ve had instances over years before my surgery but since my surgery in May my BP is low all the time & I have had blocked ears many, many times. I can’t pop them (yawning, drinking, chewing,...don't work). I just have to wait for it to pass. Interested to hear how common this is.
My GP got me to have a brain scan to make sure there was nothing sinister this week but all good. Thank gracious.

Hair loss is very common. Mine’s been falling out for 4 months now & I’ve lost almost 50%. Very sad. There are lots of posts about this with suggestions on how to lessen the impact but nothing’s slowed mine yet. My surgeon warned me it would happen. In his words: ‘You’re body has better things to do with the reduced nutrients you take in on your new diet than grow hair.’ He wasn’t wrong.

My surgeon & dietician told me I’d have to take Multi Vitamins for the rest of my life. I have blood tests every 3 months for my Bariatric team & my GP has had me get one in between. They’re tracking & monitoring even slight changes. I’m sorry your GP is not being supportive of your journey. They are your primary care giver & someone who you should be able to trust & depend upon for your health & well being.

You might be on to something about blood pressure. I did notice if I squat down for a few minutes, or tilt my head down, I'll get dizzy when I get back up for 3-5 seconds.

Hi All,
I've done my surgery early May 2019. That's been 7 months ago exactly today.
Clogged/Plugged ears
Supplements
While we at it, I would like this cleared out for me as well. How far in did your Vitamins drop, which then you had to take some form of supplements?
I visited my local doctor (Not one responsible for my surgery) 4 months post my surgery to have a blood test done to check if there is anything I'm missing. During that time, I was losing a lot of hair (?) The doctor said everything looks fine and I do not need any supplements. My doctor seemed to be really against me having done the surgery, she believes that it's unhealthy, which makes me believe she is not willing to put the effort in to help me. But hey, maybe that's just me (Planning on going to another doctor soon) She then continued on saying that she'll book another blood test for me within 2 months (Which hasn't been done yet, called her up twice within 4 weeks with no reply yet)
Summary/Questions:

• Is it normal that my ears feel clogged/plugged? Is the surgery the reason? Has anyone experienced something similar?
  • How many months post surgery did you need to take supplements?
Thank you for your time.
Way before my surgery, I had a lengthy dental procedure and then started with the same ear-popping you're describing. They said it was TMJ caused by the positioning of my mouth during the dental procedure. It was exacerbated by gum chewing. It eventually cleared up on its own, but still comes back very briefly now and then.

Supplements are life-long.

Sent from my SM-T820 using BariatricPal mobile app

For about four months after surgery, the ear popping happened either when I was working out or driving to a lower elevation into town. My ears would stay clogged for a long time and then finally clear up suddenly. But this seemed to have stopped altogether two months ago.

The only thing I can think of is if you have a food allergy. If you started a Protein Drink or some other supplement around the time of surgery.

Hmmm an earlier post mentioned TMJ. Maybe you have that issue from being intimated? If you have a dentist appointment coming up you can ask about it. If not maybe see an ENT who can give you a better diagnosis.