Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I am 11days out and was losing really fast like down 16lbs after 7 days. Then I weighed myself at night before bed as always (281.6 normal gain from the day) then again in the morning as always and it shot UP to 285.7? I know we always weigh more at night and the morning weight is more accurate, but any ideas as to why it went up over night?

Weight swings of up to 5 pounds either way can be caused by Water weight. Especially when you move from liquid diet to soft/puree/normal foods.

What stage are you on now? Are you getting your Protein and water in each day? Any walking yet?

Here i go again - STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF EVERY DAY YOU WILL END UP IN A RUBBER ROOM WITH A JACKET THAT BUCKLES IN THE BACK.

Weigh in weekly then the ups and downs balance out - Like above Water is the main issue - The body will fluctuate throughout the journey - I would not panic just ride out the little swings

I’m to purées for a couple more days then I’m open to “as tolerated.” I’m up and moving everywhere actually back to school as a teacher since yesterday (day10).
As far as Protein goes I’m getting about 50-60grams from Protein Shakes and Greek yogurt mainly. And Water I’ve done better the past two days as I’ve gotten over 40oz both days.

Protein intake sounds good but you should be at 64 oz of Water at least. If you don't get that much then you'll start retaining water as you get dehydrated. Personally I was getting 96 oz a day by 2 weeks out.

And I'm just like you - I love data! I weigh myself at least a couple nights a week and every morning. I mean, its why we had the surgery right? Of course I wanna see how my changes day to day affect my weight!

Yeah I’m trying to work on the Water for sure, I have just always been a “gulper” so changing to sips is real work. Lol

i look at the scale everyday to remind me to not eat like a fatso. I wasn’t “freaking out” I was honestly just curious because a spike over night was odd to me. I am well aware of water weight and other things causing gain during the day, which is why only the morning one matters to me. Seeing 5lbs up in the AM was just odd.
I will continue weighing as I have been And keep getting the advice from others to get that water and Protein dialed in.

What is a high end for carbs, 20g per day? I’ve been doing fairly well under that, just hope that is optimal.

I was and am a daily weigher. It keeps me accountable and connected to my data (food log, measurements, activity level, Water intake, etc. :D ) To each his/her own. Do what makes you tick.

Weight fluctuates daily. Impossible to determine without knowing more about your food log. Maybe you ate something salty yesterday like broth or V-8? Maybe you drank something that spiked your insulin and that prompted a refuel of your glycogen stores (2-4lbs btw). Some people have dramatic insulin spikes when drinking some brands of Protein Drinks. I know I did. I do better with a combo of concentrate and isolate rather than the Isopure clear (pure isolate) that made me gain 9 lbs of fluid! Also, maybe you slept poorly the last couple of nites?

You're about to get to the 3 week stall. It's normal. Relax into it.

I agree with fluffy it also keeps me focused and on track everyday.

How was your weight this morning?

I am totally 100% a daily weigher both because I’m Too impatient to wait a week and because i feel like it holds me more accountable knowing I’ll step on the scale each day. But you do have to keep in mind if you daily weight that Water can swing you. As early on as you are its totally normal to bounce around and to stall. Some people will crucify you for weighing daily but you do what works for your journey, some people do better weighing every day some once a week and some don’t ever weigh and there’s nothing wrong with any method you chose as long as it works for you .

5 hours ago, lvidacovich said:

How was your weight this morning?

That weight spike was actually on day 6, and it has been steadily been going down. I’m down to 278.9 from 298.5 on the morning of surgery 11 days ago (today is day 12).

Just now, Annasdad said:

That weight spike was actually on day 6, and it has been steadily been going down. I’m down to 278.9 from 298.5 on the morning of surgery 11 days ago (today is day 12).

That's great! 21 pounds around 14 days is about where I was at as well. SW for me was 327.

Here i go again - STOP WEIGHING YOURSELF EVERY DAY YOU WILL END UP IN A RUBBER ROOM WITH A JACKET THAT BUCKLES IN THE BACK.
Weigh in weekly then the ups and downs balance out - Like above Water is the main issue - The body will fluctuate throughout the journey - I would not panic just ride out the little swings

That is true for many! But personally I need it to help me stay on track. If my weight is up I just get off the scale before it records automatically into my app lol. Then I adjust my days eating accordingly. If I am up, I make sure to do a better job of following my diet plan. And hydrate.

And yes, as another poster replied, a 5 pound fluctuation is normal. I tend to drop, then fluctuate for several days, then drop again. Rinse. Repeat. I am 3 months out and did the big fast drop and now I only drop a pound maybe once or twice a week. The rest of the time I am up and down. And even if I get on the scale at night... it is only to see what I predict I will do by morning. I never let the night weights record.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Our bodies go through that pooping helps and don’t always look at the scale it’s a a slippery slope to failure but I’m sure you will be fine you can get through it.

Hello everyone! I am 11days out and was losing really fast like down 16lbs after 7 days. Then I weighed myself at night before bed as always (281.6 normal gain from the day) then again in the morning as always and it shot UP to 285.7? I know we always weigh more at night and the morning weight is more accurate, but any ideas as to why it went up over night?

I also weigh daily to help keep me accountable.

5'4"
Starting weight 297
VSG on 7/31/19
Surgery wt: 266
CW 215
GW 135

Sent from my [samsung Galaxy] using BariatricPal mobile app