Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my grastic sleeve on October 28 & this week I found out I'm 9weeks pregnant I'm just so confused to how nobody knew. I had blood work & I was told they check before proceeding with surgery according to my calculations I was 4 weeks pregnant during my surgery.

Sent from my SM-G965U using BariatricPal mobile app

Did you call your surgeon? You will need to get to the OB pretty quickly to evaluate everything! Good luck hon. Let us know what happens!!

Did you call your surgeon? You will need to get to the OB pretty quickly to evaluate everything! Good luck hon. Let us know what happens!!

No but I will today I went to the hospital & they gave me an ultrasound & said that everything was fine & normal

WOW this is a first i have seen -

You sure you got the right surgery, Maybe you got mixed up with a Invetro patient - Just kidding ....... What a great reward for your sleeve decision. Congratulations on your new baby and sleeve!

I would be getting a copy of my medical records and surgical report, including all labs that were done. Before surgery, there is a "time out" in the OR - to verify your identity, correct surgery, and any pertinent information like a pregnancy test which absolutely should have been done. Someone really slipped up, and I would be gathering all the info I could. You also need to let the compliance officer know that this is not OK. You have 21 years to claim damages (hopefully none!) to a child. They need to squirm a bit on this one - really not acceptable medical practice. A medical lawsuit would be hard to fend off in a case of such obvious oversight. The nurses, the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist all should have caught this.

I would be getting a copy of my medical records and surgical report, including all labs that were done. Before surgery, there is a "time out" in the OR - to verify your identity, correct surgery, and any pertinent information like a pregnancy test which absolutely should have been done. Someone really slipped up, and I would be gathering all the info I could. You also need to let the compliance officer know that this is not OK. You have 21 years to claim damages (hopefully none!) to a child. They need to squirm a bit on this one - really not acceptable medical practice. A medical lawsuit would be hard to fend off in a case of such obvious oversight. The nurses, the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist all should have caught this.

Thank you I'm most definitely gonna be looking into it

Congratulations on your new blessing! Sometime seems off, I had at least four if not five pregnancy tests 4 weeks before and including the day of my surgery. Preadmission testing, urinalysis before my endoscopy, surgery clearance from my primary care blood work, and the morning of my surgery all within those 4 weeks. Thank goodness all seems ok with your baby.

1 hour ago, sevenheaddragon said:

Wow this is insane most likely they know that you're pregnant and went along with the procedure anyways.

No. That would be highly inappropriate and no doctor would risk their license to willfully disobey standard of care (in the states anyway). It's too hard to get to be a bariatric surgeon.

Lets get all the details - So when did you and the daddy do the wild thing pre - Op and do you need me to have the talk with him about safe Sex? I have a 19 and 16 year old boys so i have had this conversation.

This is a scooby doo mystery and i still am going with Invetro fertilization screw up at the hospital. Or maybe the baby daddy paid off a nurse to do it - Somehow i think the baby daddy did it - Kinda like the arson of the she shed!

But still think its great news and what a bonus to sleeve surgery.

New Thread to start

How to Do WLS post op when Knocked up by accident, can you do Pre Natel Vitamins and Protien shakes?

Its a blessing and great news I am just having some fun with this thread - But i do think the baby daddy had something to do with it!

I would think they did the test that morning prior to surgery. I wonder if it was skipped, not read, or if it was a false negative since maybe the hormones were not detected since it was still early. I am sure you are concerned but do remember there are women that don't know they are pregnant for months and drink, others use drugs, don't take Vitamins etc and the baby turns out fine. I would ask your OBGYN about an additional vitamins you need to take above what they would normally recommend. Maybe ask about the vitamin patches and if those absorb better wit less stress on the stomach etc.

Maybe 4 weeks was just too early to test for you. With my last pregnancy, I didn't start getting positives until 6 weeks pregnant. Best of luck for a healthy and happy pregnancy.

Wow. Just wow. I would bet that they just seriously dropped the ball and didn’t test at all.

First thing I would do is to make sure the baby is ok. Second thing that I would do is to lawyer up. Get advise from an attorney before contacting or making any statements to your bariatric team.

If nothing else this needs to never ever happen again.

Please keep us posted. I will keep you and your child in my thoughts and prayers.

Be sure to obtain all the medical records, including labs, surgical report, and anesthesia record BEFORE bringing any of this up to anyone. Funny how those records can become "closed" if something is amiss. Just go to the Medical Records department, fill out the form, and they will get the paperwork for you within a couple of days, if not then and there. The anesthesia record will tell what drugs were used and how much. Both the surgical and anesthesia reports should say that a "time out" was performed before the procedure started. The time-out is the last, stop gap safety opportunity before the actual procedure starts. This is where the results of the pregnancy test should have been mentioned, if not before.

Our hospital policy is that ANY female of child bearing age (12-50) has a pregnancy test unless she has had a hysterectomy. Anyone outside that age gets a test if they have had a period within a year.

Do you remember being asked to pee in a cup when you went in?