Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weightlifting

I'm looking to start weight lifting to build muscle and cut down on skin sagginess. No idea where to start though. I'd like to work the following muscle groups, likely 2-3x weekly?

Biceps, Triceps, Rhomboids, Abs, Pecs, Thighs and Calves.

I have small weights (think 1-2 pounds) and a bungee type system but I'd be willing to invest in joining a gym or some free weights, I just don't know what kind of plan to follow to do this right.

I currently walk 2+ miles about 3-4 times a week and do barre 2x a week.

Edited by lvidacovich

I usually go to a personal trainer to get some guidance on functional movement as well as lifting. Also, I actually go if I have an apt. I do 30 min. to save $ and then go on my treadmill alone.

I've been considering a personal trainer, just to get the basic exercises I need and to make sure I'm doing them correctly.

You'd say it's been worth it? I'm also VERY interested in sports fitness - where you do ropes and move tires and all that stuff as a workout. Seems more fun than lifting weights all the time.

1 hour ago, lvidacovich said:

I'm looking to start weight lifting to build muscle and cut down on skin sagginess. No idea where to start though. I'd like to work the following muscle groups, likely 2-3x weekly?

Biceps, Triceps, Rhomboids, Abs, Pecs, Thighs and Calves.

I have small weights (think 1-2 pounds) and a bungee type system but I'd be willing to invest in joining a gym or some free weights, I just don't know what kind of plan to follow to do this right.

I currently walk 2+ miles about 3-4 times a week and do barre 2x a week.

Fantastic 73 lbs down. Congrats

Start slow and build your fitness level up. Visit or call gyms in your area. Find out all the services your membership covers. Some charge extra for a trainer. My membership covers four training sessions a year. The trainers are always in the weight room. I can ask for help at anytime.

I started out researching bodybuilding.com and had help of lifters on this site. @BlueCrush @BigViffer @Albus @oldbriannomore @NurseMichael @PWMDMD (I'm not sure if they are still around.)

Bodybuilding.com Lifting data base. Shows how to use the equipment and form.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Body building. com Lifting plans

https://www.bodybuilding.com/workout-plans/

Muscle and fitness workouts

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/418762-is-it-possible-to-build-muscle-after-the-sleeve-im-about-to-find-out/

49 minutes ago, lvidacovich said:

where you do ropes and move tires and all that stuff as a workout. Seems more fun than lifting weights all the time.

Ask your gym about crossfit or HIIT classes

I can only dream about being as strong as Ashley Horner *laughing* I'm posting her video just for fun.

2 minutes ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Fantastic 73 lbs down. Congrats

Start slow and build your fitness level up. Visit or call gyms in your area. Find out all the services your membership covers. Some charge extra for a trainer. My membership covers four training sessions a year. The trainers are always in the weight room. I can ask for help at anytime.

I started out researching bodybuilding.com and had help of lifters on this site. @BlueCrush @BigViffer @Albus @oldbriannomore @NurseMichael @PWMDMD (I'm not sure if they are still around.)

Bodybuilding.com Lifting data base. Shows how to use the equipment and form.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Body building. com Lifting plans

https://www.bodybuilding.com/workout-plans/

Muscle and fitness workouts

https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/418762-is-it-possible-to-build-muscle-after-the-sleeve-im-about-to-find-out/

Ask your gym about crossfit or HIIT classes

I can only dream about being as strong as Ashley Horner *laughing* I'm posting her video just for fun.

This is great info - thank you so much!

1 hour ago, lvidacovich said:

I've been considering a personal trainer, just to get the basic exercises I need and to make sure I'm doing them correctly.

You'd say it's been worth it? I'm also VERY interested in sports fitness - where you do ropes and move tires and all that stuff as a workout. Seems more fun than lifting weights all the time.

Yeah, they do all the rope/tire stuff at Cross-Fit gyms. I wasn't up for a class but I did have a guy that owned one train me for a while. I have no idea how fit you are, but personal training and small group training is more motivating for me for weights. Then you can go off on your own with better ideas about what you like.

I started off doing StrongLifts 5x5 which is good to get started and doesn’t over complicate things as all you do is two barbell workouts - squat/overhead press/deadlift and squat/bench/bent over row. Gives you a full body workout and the initial strength comes on quickly, there’s an app to take you through it all too.

After a couple of months doing that I got a trainer and did some other things too whilst still concentrating on main lifts, also had a play doing strongman which was fun!

I’ve now gotten into road cycling so gone back to just doing the 2 5x5 workouts a week alongside lots of miles on the bike. I’m enjoying the simplicity again!

I believe it is important to understand what you are doing, how to do it right, and how to avoid injuries. A "certified" trainer led me straight ot a shoulder impingement and a 6 month injury. I ended up having some discussions with a national or international bodybuilder champion about my condition and some stretches I could do for a specific sport I am in. He showed me his bookshelf and and specifically suggested the Delavier book series. His most used and worn out book was Strength Training Anatomy.

Its important to see exactly what muscles you are working, and how they interact. For example, there are different curls you can do, and the book perfectly shows the different between a bicep and hammer curl. Written clearly and easy to understand with great illustrations. And now I know why I need to do hammer curls instead of bicep curls. The books shows you how to do the exercises, and shows you what happens when you do them wrong. The book, was first printed in 1998, and its STILL a best seller. The 3rd edition is #4,314 in all of Amazon, and #3 in weightlifting behind basic barbell training and a gag gift. There also a number of other books in his series that might interest you. There are three volumes of strength training anatomy workout books, one each for core exercising, stretching, mixed martial arts, and arms (one who book for just arms - its very detailed including 30 pages on just pathologies). There are also other books that are woman centered.

No matter what you do, you should have a copy of some of these books. The books beside the primary STA 3rd Ed also provide exercises/programs for you. They are a low cost way to get started. There is overlap in the books, because each book can stand on its ow and is not dependent on others.

The Strength Training Anatomy Workout: Starting Strength with Bodyweight Training and Minimal Equipment (volume 1 of 3)

Strength Training Anatomy, 3rd Edition

Delavier's Core Training Anatomy

Edited by wjgo

Update to this - I joined a local gym with multiple locations. I met with my friend who is a personal trainer and we met at the gym and came up with a plan.

3x weekly - my gym has machines set up in rows where one is arms, one is back/chest and one is legs. There's a small section of 4 or 5 core machines as well. I'm going to do a row each time I'm in there and do core every time.

The machines will make it easy, less intimidating and make sure I work things properly. I also found a great app WITH a watch app so I can track my weights easily as I'm working my way down the line!