Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Year post-sleeve complications.

Want to start off by thanking everyone for their opinions and posts. I’m not an active user, so I truly appreciate everyone else that is.

I had gastric sleeve surgery in October 2018. My starting weight was 556lb pre-surgery diet, I am now at 335lb. So, I’ve obviously had tremendous results.

Recently though, the past 3 months I’ve had random occurrences of heart palpitations, fatigue at times, near fainting, etc. My heart rate is also very low on a normal basis, sub 50 is regular at rest..and then can dip to high 30s while sleeping.

Has anyone had issues like this post surgery that we might need to consider? I’ve checked my Iron levels, thyroid, etc to no avail. I am fairly young, in my 30s and up until these issues started I was working out 3 days a week.

Its been awful to lose this much weight and feel hopeless overall about my health. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

thanks!

I'd consult a doctor about this - it may or may not be related to your surgery.

Welcome and congrats on your success! I feel your pain. I'd honestly get your surgeon, PCP, and a referral to a cardiologist who knows about bariatric surgery.

The first part with fatigue and palpitations could be an emergency state. You need to get blood work done asap to determine if your electrolytes are off or if there are underlying nutritional deficiencies--especially B Vitamins and Iron levels etc and yes, thyroid levels too.

If all those look fine, then your cardiologist will want you to wear a holter monitor for a month to evaluate when you are having these issues and look at what is causing them.

I know it's fairly common for bariatrics to have low heart rates and low bps. Mine runs around 48 and goes to low 40s with pain meds or sleep. They were freaked out in the hospital about that.

My cardiologist says as long as I'm symptom free, we'll just watch it. I get heart palps when my potassium goes low. You absolutely have to be under a doctor's care to jack with potassium supplementation. I also had low B1 and B6. Again, very common among bari patients...

Hope you're able to get to the bottom of it. Call and make an appointment this morning, ok?!

Wow what amazing success you have had. Congratulations to you! Have you checked in with your cardiologist? Are you on any medications that may need adjustment due to your weight loss? I would start there first. You don't want to play games when it comes to your heart. Best of luck!

Could it be possible that food is triggering the issues. Some foods ( generally high sugar items) give me the most horrendous palpitations and fatigue.

I agree that you need to go for ests but while you are waiting to get in keep a food diary and see if it is possible to pinpoint food/s that may be triggering it.

If you were female ( guessing you are a guy but I could be wrong) I would also suggest getting your hormones checked. I got awful palpitations when I started being menopausal.