Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

large weight gain after lapband removal

Lap band was removed a couple of months ago, because of slippage after 10 years. Lost 180 lbs, and I must say I looked great, so proud of myself. First they loosened the band until the surgery for removal could take place. I started gaining weight right away. I have gained 40 lbs in 4 short months, and I am starting to panic. I joined a weight loss center, and nothing seems to be working for me. Low carb, counting calories, but the weight just seems to coming back on so quickly. Is it true that since I was so obese before the surgery that now I have all those fat cells that seem to soak up the fat so easily now. It doesn't make any sense, I have been really trying, don't want to go back to my old self, I was so depressed and had no stamina, now I am active and feel good about the way I look, but its quickly going away, and i'm scared. Any tips would really be helpful. thanks

I had a weight regain of 75 lbs. I have lost 25 labs through changing the amount I eat and getting back on track.

I only ate 4 times a day. Mind you I have a gastric bypass so I have some restricition but you can always eat around that.

Then I joined Jenny Craig and Noom. I lost about 5 lbs on those In about three months.

My weight loss was in no way dramatic. It was a steady 1 lb a month. That is right 1 lb a month. Like rolling a boulder up hill but getting it done.

I have to say the most drastic weight loss has come through my pre-op diet. I lost 4 lbs in 5 days on mostly Protein Shakes and some Jenny Craig meals.

I am having revision surgery RNY to SADI to lose the rest and then some. I hope. Fingers crossed.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:37 AM, catlyn said:

Lap band was removed a couple of months ago, because of slippage after 10 years. Lost 180 lbs, and I must say I looked great, so proud of myself. First they loosened the band until the surgery for removal could take place. I started gaining weight right away. I have gained 40 lbs in 4 short months, and I am starting to panic. I joined a weight loss center, and nothing seems to be working for me. Low carb, counting calories, but the weight just seems to coming back on so quickly. Is it true that since I was so obese before the surgery that now I have all those fat cells that seem to soak up the fat so easily now. It doesn't make any sense, I have been really trying, don't want to go back to my old self, I was so depressed and had no stamina, now I am active and feel good about the way I look, but its quickly going away, and i'm scared. Any tips would really be helpful. thanks

I definitely know the pain. I was banded in 2009 and was at my goal weight for over 9 years and feeling great. My band slipped and the Dr. removed all of the fill. I had gained over 40 pounds in about 4 months...just like you. Same thing, I could NOT get the weight off. I ended up getting approved for a lap band to gastric sleeve revision. I had that done last week. Have you spoken to your surgeon/insurance about getting the sleeve or something else? Its so horrible to not have to worry about your weight for almost a decade and then feel like, in a matter of months, you're getting back to the person you thought was gone forever. I sure hope you can find some answers. Please keep me posted.

Yes, its so frustrating. The problem is my new insurance doesn't cover any bariatric surgery. I was pre- approved for the removal surgery by my insurance , and after the fact they are now saying it won't be covered, billed me 23,000 dollars. So I have a fight on my hands. Cigna insurance is not even explaining how this can happen, said they covered it because it was a medical necessity, but that they don't cover bariatric surgery, how does that make sense. I didn't want it removed, my dr. said it had to come out, and it was even a difficult removal because of scar tissue, and slippage. I would love to get something else, but for now i'm fighting with the insurance, so an appeal is in the works. Thanks for getting back to me, let me know how your sleeve works out for you.

Catlyn, you should contact Lindstrom Obesity Advocacy

They specialize in cases where insurance should be covering cases like yours. I've heard they have good success in these cases. Don't fight this by yourself.

Edited by JRT Mom