Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Thanksgiving

Anyone else sitting off to the side while their family eats Thanksgiving dinner? It kinda sucks but I know it’s worth it. About 11 days out. I was hoping to graduate to purée but doc said I had wait.... so I’ll sip while the fam stuffs.

Not having a Thanksgiving dinner today. Hubby had to work so we'll have a small one tomorrow. You're so close to getting out of the liquid phase. I know it sucks. You're almost there. Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'm about eight months out. Tried dinner. Ate about half of what I put on my plate and had it come back up. But the low carb pumpkin bread and low carb low fat pumpkin cheesecake went well.

I was supposed to sit off to the side and drink Protein Shakes. But I did eat a small Thanksgiving dinner with the family. Don't worry I am pre-op so I wasn't bound to hurt myself.

This holiday sucked, Good to be with family but the focus on food was a pain in the ass, Also I seem to be totally focused on what others we eating, But I switched my profile picture and off to the next one.

Just glad its over - Time to just chill out and get back on the plan

8 hours ago, mcfluffington said:

I was supposed to sit off to the side and drink Protein Shakes. But I did eat a small Thanksgiving dinner with the family. Don't worry I am pre-op so I wasn't bound to hurt myself.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. Hang in there!

I have to admit mine went terribly. I don’t have family, it’s just my mom and I. There is her boyfriend and friends. We went with him and one friend to Cracker Barrel for thanksgiving and I thought I would do my best to handle it. I had suggested another place but they wanted Cracker Barrel and options are limited. Even with a kids meal. I’m supposed to be almost at regular foods but have limitations from chronic illness. Between the stricture, problems with my esophagus not related to surgery, and dysphasia.

it didn’t help that he changed which Cracker Barrel we went to, and went to one I’d been to a past thanksgiving with my mother and two of her friends (a married couple) and it was a disaster.

The place was packed and loud. The day prior we had gone to bingo. I made the mistake of walking there. And it set off my pain and fatigue. I didn’t sleep that night. The next day I was exhausted and my nerves rather raw. We got seated and it was in the middle of a packed dining room. I’m on the Autism spectrum and have sensory processing disorder. It was hard to think with all the loud voices and a screaming child and noise all around me let alone plan what to eat.

the moment we sat down the waitress came and said very loudly are you all here for the thanksgiving feast. And my mother’s boyfriend says very loudly what do you think you can eat? I’m very sensitive about people asking what I can eat. The question sent my raw nerves into overdrive and I felt sick and I had to walk out. Instant Migraine.

he didn’t get it. He needs to lose weight he has a lot of bad health issues. He keeps asking what I eat or can eat. My circumstances aren’t the norm. And I have never been comfortable being out on the spot or people analyzing what I eat or don’t eat. Even if he is interested in bariatric surgery what I do won’t be the same as what he does. Plus he’s not in the right head space. If he were really interested he would take a look at his bad habits and how he eats. And he would make an appointment with a bariatric surgeon and nutritionist.

i try to advise here but circumstances are different for me,

I just wanted to have a nice relaxing thanksgiving. I ended up waiting outside to get away from the noise. While they enjoyed their dinner. Not understanding how all my senses were attacked and I was ill ...

So sorry for your experience. I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with all of that.

Mine was ok. I was 6 days out rny revision and hernia repair. I went to son and daughter in laws. Ate my Jello while everyone else ate. I was ok with it and did enjoy the company.

2 hours ago, Losingit2018 said:

So sorry for your experience. I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with all of that.

Mine was ok. I was 6 days out rny revision and hernia repair. I went to son and daughter in laws. Ate my Jello while everyone else ate. I was ok with it and did enjoy the company.

I’m glad yours went well. And most of all that you had good company.
I don’t mind being around others even if I can’t eat. I usually make lunches for my mom. Im just Terrible in social settings, and I can’t control sensory overload or when it happens. I’d have been ok had we gone to a quieter place with a slower pace. Sometimes you just want family but it’s hard when you really have no one.