Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please weigh in on unusual items for hospital stay

3 minutes ago, Ymasita said:

I actually thought it best to bring minimal id... meaning leave c.c. license. Dont want to be frisked.

How is your recovery going?

8 minutes ago, Ymasita said:

I actually thought it best to bring minimal id... meaning leave c.c. license. Dont want to be frisked.

I was kidding , kind of. lol I'm getting sleeved on 12/4. Great recommendations . Good luck to you.

Edited by Billy Bob

2 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

I was kidding , kind pf. lol I'm getting sleeved on 12/4. Great recommendations . Good luck to you.

Thanks! I'll be watching how yours goes. We are in the same graduation class.

3 hours ago, sideeye said:

A liquids-tracking app! I didn’t download one prior to surgery and vaguely recall woozily trying to find one post-surgery. For some reason my nurse wasn’t tracking it at all and I definitely wanted a record. I found one and used it, but wished the whole time I’d prepared.

Also audiobooks. Best to download something you’ve already read and loved, or something that goes in short bursts like BBC sketch comedy.

Post-hospital my MVP was the two king-sized pillows I used to make my bed into a BarcaLounger. I never, ever sleep on my back, but those wedged me into position so I didn’t roll while I was still full of holes.

Smart! Love your recommendations. BBC sketches will have me in stitches'... I love to laugh. Best to do hardcore history and stay sewed up.

A small firm pillow to brace against your belly when you get out of bed, stand up, and change position.

Just a thought, anytime we go to Cancun at our resort and excursions we only drink bottled Water. When your in the hospital is the water /ice chips filtered or bottled. Be very careful brushing your teeth I would bring a small mouthwash and use that instead of tap water. All kinda research done on flying post op. The recommendations are never ever a window seat always an Aisle. So given a choice do that seating. Reason being window seat you tend to not get up, middle seat you are also compressed on each side and try to make yourself smaller by keeping your arms pulled in. Aisle seat you have one side free and flying postoperative you should get up every half hour and walk the aisle. Some type of compression socks if not nylons to help with circulation to avoid blood clots. Everyone should do this flying get up every half hour for 5 minutes, driving every 2 hours get out of the car and walk around for 10 minutes. Flights 4hours driving 6 hours put you at higher risk of clots. Again good luck

I want flameless candles and my mediation app on my phone for my room. Candles are soothing for my nerves and relaxes me. I don't care about the TV or anything loud. I have to be sure to set my room up at home with the flameless candles as well, so when I come home I can have a relaxing environment. They have a timer, which I love. I will leave the real candles for when I feel better. Lol, this is crazy...but soothing.

I hope your surgery went well and you are healing well!!

I think the main thing I found useful was chapstick. I barely brought anything to the hospital and I barely used anything that I brought. I did buy a pair of cute slippers and a pair of cute pajama bottoms, but I'm weird about hospital germs, so I didn't wear the slippers because I didn't want to germ them up. Then I had a drain and it constantly leaked, so I didn't want to ruin my new PJs lmao. I ended up wearing them my second night in the hospital since I brought them, but they just got covered in nastiness from the drain.

7 hours ago, SorryNameTaken said:

I hope your surgery went well and you are healing well!!

I think the main thing I found useful was chapstick. I barely brought anything to the hospital and I barely used anything that I brought. I did buy a pair of cute slippers and a pair of cute pajama bottoms, but I'm weird about hospital germs, so I didn't wear the slippers because I didn't want to germ them up. Then I had a drain and it constantly leaked, so I didn't want to ruin my new PJs lmao. I ended up wearing them my second night in the hospital since I brought them, but they just got covered in nastiness from the drain.

Is a drain typical? I didn't have one. Last minute I was changed from a mini bypass to a sleeve. Chapstick helped a ton. I'm feeling human today and sipping tea with collagen Proteins. Yum!

16 hours ago, Ymasita said:

Is a drain typical? I didn't have one. Last minute I was changed from a mini bypass to a sleeve. Chapstick helped a ton. I'm feeling human today and sipping tea with collagen Proteins. Yum!

That sounds delicious! It's a nice cold day here, so I'm enjoying a cup of tea too!

You are right! Thankfully, drains definitely aren't typical. I had a complication where as soon as I went under anesthesia, my heart rate shot up and wouldn't come back down. Sometimes an elevated heart rate during surgery means there is a leak, so despite the fact that my heart rate went up before they even started surgery, they put a drain in to make sure I wasn't leaking anything yucky. We're still trying to figure out why my heart has decided to go crazy, but I'm glad it wasn't a leak!

Can anyone recommend a liquids tracking app?

Mint flavored gas-ex chews. Life saver in the beginning! I used to get horrible gas pains that felt like chest pressure. I walked loads after surgery but still had the pains and those really helped.