Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG Two Weeks Post-Op Suggestions

My two week post-op date is this Monday. Feeling very good and doing well on full liquids, but I definitely feel like I’m ready to move onto the next phase. My doctor recommends waiting an extra week, but I’m curious about what everyone else has experienced.

When did you move up to soft foods?

What were your favorite specific foods during this stage?

How long did you wait until moving to the next phase?

What’s the best way to start integrating new foods?

All advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

4 hours ago, Superman84 said:

Everyone will say follow your DOCTOR

yep - stick to your surgeon's plan

Follow the doctor's recommendations. You can do this.

ok I will play devil's advocate here I started soft foods after four days, I had refried Beans, hummus, yogurt , fruit cups avocados, and eggs. But do what your Dr says, everyone is different.

8 hours ago, InterceptorNYC said:

When did you move up to soft foods?

What were your favorite specific foods during this stage?

How long did you wait until moving to the next phase?

What’s the best way to start integrating new foods?

All advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Yes I am going to go with the flow and say stay liquid however I did not after two weeks I slowly and I mean slowly got a little more then liquids

1. When did you move to soft foods? - Assuming you mean any food after liquid i was 16 days out before i even tried it, I am a chef so i knew my plan, I made very very light broths and added just a Tad of Veggies to them. I then Nutra Bullet them to they were about 95% liquid. I did this for well over a week, I had info from My brother who did the surgery before me, So he warned me not to go to fast. I stayed on pureed and blended foods for the first month.

2. Favorite was a lentil veggie broth -

3. How to integrate new foods - I slowly over the first 5 weeks brought in veggies and Proteins, Some just are not going to work, For example a group of us, including myself can not do chicken. Find very very very soft proteins like fish, shellfish, and ground meats like Turkey - Be careful i can tell you that food you buy is often treated and preserved, For example if you buy shrimp rinse them big time they have lots of salts and preservatives. If you can and you dont have to be a chef do your own meats. For example today i have a Large Pork Shoulder and Turkey on the Smoker all day. I know exactly what is on it and what is in it. When done I will vacuum seal small amounts for myself to eat, I also will grind up some Turkey and Pork into a hamburger meat. I have a meat grinder but any food processor will do. This ensures you know what you are eating. Sugar can raise hell and most cheeses, processed meats and Deli Meats contain tons of sugar and salts.

Stay clear of these 3 for sure Rough on the incision during healing and generally not good for you

There are three classes of chemical preservatives commonly used in foods: Benzoates (such as sodium benzoate) Nitrites (such as sodium nitrite) Sulphites (such as sulphur dioxide).

It is almost impossible to buy pre packaged protien, Including the Meat counter and Seafood counter that is not treated with one above. However a good rinse or brine will remove most of it

Suggestions Simple

Take your time, Try not to rush into the next phases and transitions into them, Its a long journey and if you do mess up you get punished thru pain, sick, Dumping, We all have been punished for our mistakes, but good planning is the key. Also this place is loaded with lists and ideas on good foods to eat.

On 11/24/2019 at 05:14, Superman84 said:

Everyone will say follow your DOCTOR

Thank you. I am certainly sticking to the plan. The last thing I want to do is short circuit the process and punish myself with dumping, pain and worse. So far, I’ve avoided it, so another few weeks is doable! Really appreciate the support!

On 11/24/2019 at 11:19, AJ Tylo said:

Yes I am going to go with the flow and say stay liquid however I did not after two weeks I slowly and I mean slowly got a little more then liquids

1. When did you move to soft foods? - Assuming you mean any food after liquid i was 16 days out before i even tried it, I am a chef so i knew my plan, I made very very light broths and added just a Tad of Veggies to them. I then Nutra Bullet them to they were about 95% liquid. I did this for well over a week, I had info from My brother who did the surgery before me, So he warned me not to go to fast. I stayed on pureed and blended foods for the first month.

2. Favorite was a lentil veggie broth -

3. How to integrate new foods - I slowly over the first 5 weeks brought in veggies and Proteins, Some just are not going to work, For example a group of us, including myself can not do chicken. Find very very very soft Proteins like fish, shellfish, and ground meats like Turkey - Be careful i can tell you that food you buy is often treated and preserved, For example if you buy shrimp rinse them big time they have lots of salts and preservatives. If you can and you dont have to be a chef do your own meats. For example today i have a Large Pork Shoulder and Turkey on the Smoker all day. I know exactly what is on it and what is in it. When done I will vacuum seal small amounts for myself to eat, I also will grind up some Turkey and Pork into a hamburger meat. I have a meat grinder but any food processor will do. This ensures you know what you are eating. Sugar can raise hell and most cheeses, processed meats and Deli Meats contain tons of sugar and salts.

Stay clear of these 3 for sure Rough on the incision during healing and generally not good for you

There are three classes of chemical preservatives commonly used in foods: Benzoates (such as sodium benzoate) Nitrites (such as sodium nitrite) Sulphites (such as sulphur dioxide).

It is almost impossible to buy pre packaged protien, Including the Meat counter and Seafood counter that is not treated with one above. However a good rinse or brine will remove most of it

Suggestions Simple

Take your time, Try not to rush into the next phases and transitions into them, Its a long journey and if you do mess up you get punished thru pain, sick, Dumping, We all have been punished for our mistakes, but good planning is the key. Also this place is loaded with lists and ideas on good foods to eat.

This is a great post packed with really helpful information. Thank you so much! Avoiding some of the common pitfalls is the true benefit of this site and having access to those who have been through the process!

Yes this place is a key to cruising thru the journey -

For example both Proteins below are on the smoker however both are brine in both and both are rubbed with healthy natural ingredients - Flax seed, Nuts, Herbs, Avocado Oil.

NO fat butter No carbs No sugar, NO sauce!

This will feed me for well over a month and is easy for me to do, In the past we would load these up with sugars and Salts and wipe them out on a Sunday - Now it is just one of the staples I prep for easy food eating

pork and turkey.jpg

On 11/24/2019 at 11:49, AJ Tylo said:

Yes this place is a key to cruising thru the journey -

For example both Proteins below are on the smoker however both are brine in both and both are rubbed with healthy natural ingredients - Flax seed, Nuts, Herbs, Avocado Oil.

NO fat butter No carbs No sugar, NO sauce!

This will feed me for well over a month and is easy for me to do, In the past we would load these up with sugars and Salts and wipe them out on a Sunday - Now it is just one of the staples I prep for easy food eating

pork and turkey.jpg

That sure does look good! Looking forward to getting past the next 4-6 weeks so I can hopefully start building my new diet.