Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’ had my surgery in 2013, I lost 50 lbs, within the first 3/4 months, I looked and felt great, that’s it, weight stalled and I never lost more that 8/9 lbs thereafter. I’ve tried, and I only go up and down between the 8/9 lbs. I look at myself now and realize, I’m still fat! What the heck? My mind played tricked on me, I thought I was smaller, lol .... yeah I look alright, I feel good but I can stand to loss 20/30 lbs but nothing works. I feel like I did this surgery for a mere 50lbs granted I wouldn’t have loss anything without it but I needed more. I still can’t eat a full meal in one sitting. I’m always the last one to get started eating and the first one done, Just venting .

Do you exercise?

Without knowing your starting weight and your current weight I'd say you're pretty successful. Maintaining a substantial weight loss for six years is an achievement in of itself. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Look how far you come. You are not a failure. You might have to change up some things to re-start your weight loss.

You haven’t failed, maybe fallen into old habits but never failed. Evaluate where you are and start fresh. Maybe seek out advice of your surgeon and a nutritionist. You did good just remember it’s a lifelong journey of change. It’s ok to fall down, get back up and remember you didn’t fail. I have to remind myself every minute to let go of what I fear are failures. With more things in my life than I ever discuss.

post what surgery you had and where you started and how you progressed and others can reach out to help advise you.

3 hours ago, Sweetsoul said:

I’ had my surgery in 2013, I lost 50 lbs, within the first 3/4 months, I looked and felt great, that’s it, weight stalled and I never lost more that 8/9 lbs thereafter. I’ve tried, and I only go up and down between the 8/9 lbs. I look at myself now and realize, I’m still fat! What the heck? My mind played tricked on me, I thought I was smaller, lol .... yeah I look alright, I feel good but I can stand to loss 20/30 lbs but nothing works. I feel like I did this surgery for a mere 50lbs granted I wouldn’t have loss anything without it but I needed more. I still can’t eat a full meal in one sitting. I’m always the last one to get started eating and the first one done, Just venting .

You failed to realize that you maintained your 50lbs loss for 6 years.

Big achievement. Congratulations💙

I am So very Grateful I got your replies, I truly appreciate every one of them. I started at 278, I’m currently 227, - I’m 5’7 - I’m a full figured hourglass. I stopped going to the gym - I didn’t see results and working out increased my appetite to eat and/or gave me the perception I could indulge in more food. I rarely get hungry but I get the empty feeling and desire something Good. I’m a foodie but only quality food rich in flavor. I don’t eat junk food often but I will snack on nuts, chips, crackers, I love salt. I’m a home chef. I’ve tried vegan, vegetarian for several months, didn’t lose a pound, but maintained. Seems I got the maintenance under control. I guess on some level, I’ve been to embarrassed to follow-up with my surgeon. Ok so duh! In writing this I realize the salt may be the issue, how do I give it up! Oh man.

@Sweetsoul oh how I understand how hard it is. I am 7” shorter than you. I can’t excercise due to chronic illness but I understand avoiding the gym. In all reality exercise does not help with weight loss. Building muscle (which I cannot do) helps burn fat, but I meant to say is I’ve been here before and I fought so hard the first time and it’s hard, I was losing my ability to taste food and I wasn’t getting hungry or full signals but I felt that needs to just want something good, something rich with flavor, strong taste. Never was a snacker either, love salt need salt fo orthostatic intolerance.

I tried vegetarian back then too when I couldn’t tolerate meats. I had been doing extreme low carb and calorie counting to lose weight And I finally did but it was extreme under 10 net carbs and very low calorie. but wanted to add more vegetables and vegetarian foods. I was feeling sick. And guess what my weight crept up. Somehow I managed the best I could but always on the brink of gaining until I eventually ended up having drastic weight gain. Maybe because my gallbladder went bad and I wasn’t processing fats but I was eating more greens, kale salads, vegetarian foods and 800 calories yet gaining,

no snacking, I felt like a total failure. And I eventually was able to seek out gastric bypass surgery. And have had to recreate my way of eating. I’m finding salt and fats an issue now and vegetables even though I relied heavily on them before I can’t eat much salt and will need to treat my orthostatic intolerance some other way. But you are right in your approach to understanding the problem.

I feel you I do. It’s my fear long term so I’m working so hard on what my long term habits need to be especially as things change. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your surgeon and the nutritionist you worked with too and re-evaluate where you are now. I know it’s easier said than done I’m afraid of my surgeon visits after some issues from my own surgery. That they don’t understand my medical issues outside of surgery. But you won’t know unless you take the step.

try to find other things to compensate for what salt offers. It’s hard. I hope my response isn’t too forward. To obnoxious. You came pretty far and maintained well and maybe at some point you can take a step further don’t worry. I’m slow in moving forward with food, I have food issues. You are fairly tall too and some people are naturally curvy. I just know you didn’t fail especially because you are giving it good honest evaluation and thought.

I forgot to say sometimes it’s not the actual salt that’s a problem. But hidden ingredients like maltodextrin, hidden fillers in meats, etc, can’t think of them now. I’m hoping I don’t sound preachy as I am far from perfect.

I’m in the same boat. I’m down a total of 106 pounds. Thirty of which I lost prior to the surgery and the six or so from surgery and I keep going back and forth with the same ten pounds. I need to lose at least another 100lbs to get into the ballpark of where I want to be weight wise. I work out and even started intermittent fasting and just keep gaining. Nothing is working anymore. I’ve cut carbs I keep portions small and yet gain and gain. I’m so disappointed in myself now I don’t know what to do.