Ɨ
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Amount

I'm about 6 weeks out and just wondering if it's ok to have a whole Protein Shake at a time now for a meal? I've been just having 4oz at a time three times a day for my Snacks. If anyone has any tips for me I'd love to hear from youšŸ™‚

Ok good! I wasn't sure. Thank you!!

11 minutes ago, Jenna_87 said:

I'm about 6 weeks out and just wondering if it's ok to have a whole Protein Shake at a time now for a meal? I've been just having 4oz at a time three times a day for my Snacks. If anyone has any tips for me I'd love to hear from youšŸ™‚

I was drinking 2 per day, 1 for breakfast and one for a snack until 8 weeks then cut down to one, this was my docs plan.

For sure the more you use the shakes vs food the faster and better you will be, Start becoming a mix master with the shakes, Go for flavor, Vitamins, - and mix it up - adding supplements and vitamins to the shakes adds a ton to your health

Have fun

Smothies.jpg

24 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

For sure the more you use the shakes vs food the faster and better you will be, Start becoming a mix master with the shakes, Go for flavor, Vitamins, - and mix it up - adding supplements and Vitamins to the shakes adds a ton to your health

Have fun

Smothies.jpg

I have to disagree with you on this one. Sorry.

SOME lose faster on the shakes but honestly, it wasn't until I dropped the shakes to 1 or less per day that my weight loss became better. The shakes are very insulinogenic for many--me included. Real food kept my insulin swings after meals much more reasonable. Smaller insulin spikes = more weight loss (generally speaking).

Also your doctor advances your diet strategically according to their experience. They WANT you to progress your food tolerance. If you fail to do this step as directed, you might have issues healing and being able to tolerate denser foods down the road. Recent studies suggest that the earlier the progression occurs, the better. Earlier being the 1-3 week progression versus 2-4 months progressing.

Just now, FluffyChix said:

I have to disagree with you on this one. Sorry.

SOME lose faster on the shakes but honestly, it wasn't until I dropped the shakes to 1 or less per day that my weight loss became better. The shakes are very insulinogenic for many--me included. Real food kept my insulin swings after meals much more reasonable. Smaller insulin spikes = more weight loss (generally speaking).

Also your doctor advances your diet strategically according to their experience. They WANT you to progress your food tolerance. If you fail to do this step as directed, you might have issues healing and being able to tolerate denser foods down the road. Recent studies suggest that the earlier the progression occurs, the better. Earlier being the 1-3 week progression versus 2-4 months progressing.

Basically, we each need to follow the plan given to us by our docs and RDs. They have made the rules for a reason.

I agree it wan't that clear - What i was trying to say is use the shakes to fill in - Nothing beats healthy eating, For me the shakes are easy to slamm down and it becomes a convenient issue - I did not get any real doctor diet, after two months it seems - Eat less and eat healthy - Had to dang hire a nutrioshinist to get my food intake in line,

Funny I loose more on shakes and faster then food, but I also am the creator of F#$ck Food slogan!

Also Fluffy no way going head to head with you - You are a Yoda compared to most of us around here!

No is there a surgery that gets rid of work, Tired of this working stuff

I am still at 9 months post having a premier shake everyday. I mix it with milk, preferably Fairlife for the extra Protein. My Md and nut. are both fine with it long term. I drink it every morning. Initially it took 45 minutes to drink one, now if i am in a rush I can easily drink it within 15-20 minutes.

Edited by 2Bsmaller18
details

I'm 20 months PO RNY and can easily get all of my Protein needs met with food daily. :) But I still choose to have 4oz of PP in my decaffs every dang day cuz I love how creamy it makes them and for me all food must count. :) Meaning, I don't want empty nutrition from things like coffee Creamers. And real heavy cream and half n half is a crazy waste of calories too-from my perspective. (edit to add: not that I'm a saint. I will have a cheat meal at times...then it's like "screw nutrition" mindset. But even then, it's not really cuz I find myself asking myself...will this be worth the swallow? LOL)

But, I just count the protein towards my daily goal and am done with it. :)

42 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

Eat less and eat healthy - Had to dang hire a nutrioshinist to get my food intake in line,

Agreed. Most of us have to do this.

For most of us, its your forever diet at 2 months-4 months. Your quantities will likely change in that time frame, but the diet itself should be normal real foods for most. But I did have RD appointments and the doctor setting my portion sizes for the first year.

Edited by FluffyChix

Seconding @FluffyChix about getting in all my Protein requirements with regular food (I'm about 1 year post op).

Up until I stopped weight loss efforts (about 7 months post op) I had a daily scoop of Protein Powder in Water and crushed ice, usually at night. I haven't really touched it since.

P.S. I still have 1 half-full giant tub each of unflavoured and chocolate protein powder that I need to get creative with...I saw some recipes for protein cookies...

3 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

Seconding @FluffyChix about getting in all my Protein requirements with regular food (I'm about 1 year post op).

Up until I stopped weight loss efforts (about 7 months post op) I had a daily scoop of Protein Powder in Water and crushed ice, usually at night. I haven't really touched it since.

P.S. I still have 1 half-full giant tub each of unflavoured and chocolate Protein powder that I need to get creative with...I saw some recipes for protein cookies...

Mug cakes and protein fluff. :D Youtube it. ;) PROOOOOOOTTEEEEEIIIINNNNN fluff. Just sayin' ;) :D Mug cakes are gooey chocolate deliciuosness too...

@FluffyChix

i agree, I am slowing down on my Protein Shakes and starting to move toward other Proteins that my body can tolerate even though I still struggle with more solid type foods I have tried soft boiled eggs, dr. Praegers plant based veggie burger, etc. I do mix some yogurt with Protein powder but stopped doing 30 grams in one meal and splitting them. Add in Iā€™m. It normal to the mix. But with metabolic disorders I try not to get too much protein or calories. I went by. Ratio of 0.8 grams of protein per kilograms of body weight? Iā€™m math illiterate but I stick to around 48-50 grams protein at most 60. The more you lose the less protein your body requires.

I still do drink either Koia for breakfast (plant based RTD) because I love cinnamon horchata and need the extra Water. Or a little PESCIENCE mixed in plain yogurt or 2 good yogurt.

oddly enough for some reason BariatricPal Soup has been tripping me up with weight loss either ingredients, sodium or the protein amount I like to mix boullion with a Pasta ... it didnā€™t seem to have much effect before so now I guess Iā€™ll reserve it for occasionally.

itā€™s hard as your body changes you will need to change the food you put in.

39 minutes ago, Darktowerdream said:

But with metabolic disorders I try not to get too much Protein or calories. I went by. Ratio of 0.8 grams of Protein per kilograms of body weight? Iā€™m math illiterate but I stick to around 48-50 grams protein at most 60.

Gosh I hear you!! For years they thought I had Cushing's Syndrome cuz my cortisol and DHEA numbers were so bad. Turns out, that I just had very severe PCOS which eventually led to MO and breast cancer (not that I also didn't contribute to my own demise with eating poorly and willfully at times).

But to lose weight even with surgery, it's been very very difficult. Before surgery it was even harder. So I get having to keep cals and protein low!

At 5'0" your "ideal weight" as defined by the archaic insurance charts is 100lbs. So in kilograms you are 45.5 kg at "due weight" or ideal weight.

From there you calculate age, metabolic health, activity etc. So I figure with my metabolism that it's best to be closer to my 0.8g per kg range than on the high end.

You would be around 36g for the day which seems way too low. So I would shoot between 50-60g of protein per day.

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Goshļ»æ I hear you!! For years they thought I had Cushing's Syndrome cuz my cortisol and DHEA numbers were so bad. Turns out, that I just had very severe PCOS which eventually led to MO and breast cancer (not that I also didn't contribute to my own demise with eating poorly and willfully at times).

But to lose weight evenļ»æ with surgery, it's been very very difficult. Before surgery it was even harder. So I get having to keep cals and Protein low!

At 5'0" your "ideal weight" as defined by the archaic insurance charts is 100lbs. So in kilograms you are 45.5 kg at "due weight" or ideal weight.

From there you calculate age, metabolic health, activity etc. So I figure with my metabolism that it's best to be cloļ»æser to my 0.8g per kg range than on the high end.

You would be around 36g for the day which seems way too loļ»æw. So I would shoot between 50-60g of protein per daļ»æy.

@FluffyChix

thank you for being understanding. Itā€™s been rough. Im sorry you had breast cancer I had a breast mri due to genetic risk. I was diagnosed with something called adult onset adrenal hyperplasia but the only treatment was steroids and my body canā€™t handle them. I was diagnosed severe pcos I was so sure it was Cushings. But I also have endometriosis. Now my hormones are going haywire after my hysterectomy in 2010 (long story) which left my ovaries but then I needed surgery last year to fix problems from said hysterectomy (another long story) he took my one ovary covered in endometriosis but left the other. Just recently I needed a second procedure to re-fix a repair and he took my remaining ovary and diagnosed Chronic interstitial cystitis which I went for treatment but it made me sick.

I too fell into the grips of the carbs and sugar demons especially the more sick I was and after surgeries and just wanting to subsist on saltines. But thatā€™s another conversation.

I battled my weight with all my might twice. The first time I was over 215lbs I went extreme low carb and low calorie and mostly protein. Think a combination of Atkins with weight watchers points. I was taller then my lowest weight was 124lbs but time, stress, surgeries i gained some back and fought again but moving to Florida all of a sudden my weight did the climb and I think my gallbladder didnā€™t help (fat metabolism) because I was eating 800 calories and less than 20 net carbs and gaining. I wasnā€™t counting protein but getting enough.

my calories and protein now needs to be so low itā€™s a tad crazy. Thank you for helping with the math. Iā€™m not good with KG but it made sense once I translated it. I also calculated 36 grams protein based on my current weight. Though I think for now 48 grams protein is working out well.

i usually go by pounds for weight but to calculate protein kg translated better for some reason. If I say my goal is 100 lbs my doctor will be unhappy. But my activity level is an issue since simple activity due to chronic illness is very low. I might post and not take over another conversation. Just my typing and thinking physically exhausts me.

most people donā€™t need to deal with low metabolism like this but Iā€™m hoping those who do can learn to understand the role protein plays and sometimes there is such a thing as too much.