Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Date

16 minutes ago, TattooedSeaStar said:

That’s it??? I’m on liquid diet an man, I could just use something to chew on! I’m not sure I can last 12 more days!!

Me too, I was just chewing on jello...jello, I'm going to make it and push through. You are too!!!

What did your pre-op appt. entail? More testing, labs, review of the process ???
It's been a long process overall. We have an accredited bariatric surgery center located in my local hospital. That has been a huge help, insurance wise. Insurance required 6 months of doctor visits, but they did not have to be new. They could have used previous doctor visits where we discussed weight loss and issues surrounding it, I'm mostly getting the surgery for the severe GERD starting to cause Barrets esophagus. Then I needed three consecutive months with the nutritionist to prove that I can make the changes that would be required after the surgery. Once that was completed, insurance was approved. That was 3 months ago, so it took about 3 months to get it approved. However I ended up dislocating my wrist and needing a complete wrist repair and tendon graft. So I pushed my surgery out till January.

Then it was about selecting the surgery date. Two weeks ago I got blood work done, and I ended up being a little bit low in Iron and Vitamin D so they called in a prescription for that. The pre-op appointments I had this week I met with the following: yesterday I met with the nutritionist to discuss everything again, then the nurse to go over any health changes, and then the pharmacist, who helps you with your medication, which ones you need to chew, which ones you need to dissolve, and if you are on any extended release ones they change it for you. She also gave me all of my Vitamins. This is included in the package through the medical insurance. Today, I met with the physical therapist who had me do a 6-minute walk and took my blood pressure and heart rate before and after. I'll repeat the test in 6 months to make sure everything is improving. She also gave me exercises to do while in the hospital and after to prevent blood clots. Then I finally met with the surgeon who basically just looked at my chart signed it and said see in two weeks.

Our local bariatric center has monthly meetings, and I follow up with the physical therapist, nurse, and nutritionist consistently for the first year.

sorry this was long and not exactly sure if this is what you were looking for but feel free to ask anything else!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I plan on making a batch or two of broths, I prefer my own cooking. Also, I don't know if I will be able to stomach too much more store bought broth after my procedure, if that's my only option.
My surgeons office told us specifically not to use Bone Broth and they HATE Premier Protein with a passion. I don't get it but apparently the pp are too processed with chemicals they don't like. And I think they are concerned with the sodium or fat levels in bone broth. It sure would be tasty tho lol

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using BariatricPal mobile app

STAY ON UR SURGEONS DIETS
But this is just what my surgeon told me.
My surgeon is Dr. Snyder Denver Bariatric center of excellence. ( he is the head surgeon in the US is on the board for bariatric and other things he fixes all the complications and problems from other surgeons he has patients fly from all over even out of the US to see him. Some patients come from London New Zealand etc) BUT he told me that the size of ur liver has nothing to do with it. They thought that it did in the past but new studies show the complications that arose from “large livers” where actually surgeon error [emoji15] so his patients and the other surgeons that work along and with him in the Denver center do not require a liquid diet etc for weeks before hand to “shrink liver”
He said it’s also a mental tool the surgeons can use on us. It’s test our will power ( which he also mentioned is a reason he does not do this. It causes us a lot of unneeded stress and anxiety while we r already preparing for such a huge change we do not need this stress) he said it’s cruel to have patients on such a long liquid diet. Because the patients think they HAVE to follow this strict liquid diet due to the size of their livers a medical need in reality it is not. He explained a whole lot about it to me. And it made me really sad
PLEASE FOLLOW UR SURGEONS DIET.
I am not saying to go off the diet.
But try not to let it control u mentally because that’s what they r hoping for. And I am so sorry that you all have to go through this. 🥺 I have listed my requirements previously. But Here they r again if anyone is interested? I have to do a clear liquid diet for 48hours to clean out the stomach and intestines ( he explained this is for medical reasons) and nothing 8 hours before surgery. That is the only requirement. For all his patients. And we all have “livers” and I’m sure they are all abnormally large due to our weight
We are the same week, that liquid life is real.really here. Let's keep each other inspired, I have my final pre-op appointment with the surgeon on the 17th. Surgery on the 31st and last night I got a call to schedule my 1 month post-op appointment for March 2nd. The only detail I'm not privied to is the time of surgery.
I hope you feel better very soon and welcome home. Cheers to recovery mode.
Little late to the party (my buddy who had his VSG a couple years ago told me about the site just yesterday) - my surgery (VSG) was on 1/6 - this past Monday! Done at Swedish in downtown Seattle with Dr. Sarah Martin del Campo.
Checking in on everyone again. I’m 6 days post op! Started back to work yesterday and that’s gone well. Husband out of town so I’m taking care of our 6 year old daughter, 3 dogs, and 2 cats myself with no issues. Energy is pretty much back to 100%. The hardest thing for me right now is getting the carafate down. YUCK. The dieticians warned me that I may not tolerate Protein Shakes with whey concentrate after surgery, and unfortunately that is the case. No problems with whey isolate at all. My incisions are all healing well. No pain at all. My head is definitely playing some games. I know what they mean now when say how important it is to do the head work or you won’t be successful.

Hope everyone is doing well, good luck to everyone having surgery in the coming days!

oh I almost forgot. I had my first two NSVs. First, I’m already off all three of my blood pressure medicines. And I was able to put my wedding ring back on this morning! I haven’t been able to wear it in a couple years, I’ve just been wearing a band.
One week away from my rny surgery. I have to be at the hospital on the 21st at 6am. I've lost about 20 lbs since being on the liquid diet which is cool because my surgery goal was 14lbs. I've loaded up on ensure Max (Target had buy one get one 50% off and I had 3.00 off coupons on each one). Also picked up some pure Protein packs Incase I'm out and about and need something. I still have to buy Jello and ice pops. I've also got gas x, stool softener, blood pressure cuff, thermometer, milk of magnesia, fairlife protein shakes and some clear protein Water drinks. Also bought juven to start seven days before surgery. I think I'm ready. I hope so anyway! The day before surgery I have a 12 hour shift and all i can have all day is to pre surgery ensure shakes. That's gonna suck lol.

44 minutes ago, jubug09 said:

My surgeons office told us specifically not to use Bone Broth and they HATE Premier Protein with a passion. I don't get it but apparently the pp are too processed with chemicals they don't like. And I think they are concerned with the sodium or fat levels in Bone Broth. It sure would be tasty tho lol

Wow, Kaiser is the poster child for Premier Protein drinks. I would think they had a joint endorsement deal for one another. As far as bone broth that's also encouraged by the nutritionist at Kaiser. Totally different programs promote different kinds of products for their patients.

7 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

Me too, I was just chewing on jello...jello, I'm going to make it and push through. You are too!!!

Jello & sugar free popsicles. That’s what I can have as many as I want if and I had 5 of each yesterday (day 2). Oh and sugar free gum.... that’s helped. But gurl, the worst part is fixing dinner for my girls! I just keep telling myself that I’m doing it for them- I want to see them graduate, get married or have kids. How many senior citizens do you see who are my size? Not many!

Just got a call and my surgery has been switched from 7:30 am to 9:45 am tomorrow. I am OK with that because I originally needed to be at the hospital at 5:30 am, now my time is 7:15 am so I can sleep a little later.

As to pre-op diets my surgeon gave me the following list of Protein Drinks to use: Premier Protein, Bariatric Advantage Protein Powder, Muscle Milk Genuine, Unjury Protein powder and/or Protein 2O. powders could be mixed with Water or skim milk. The goal was to get 80-90 grams of protein each day. I could have 1 cup of fruit or vegetables two times a day. I could also have low sodium chicken broth along with sugar free popsicles and Jello. I did 1 week of liquids with day before surgery just Clear Liquids. This is done to shrink the liver so doctor can lift the liver off of the stomach to allow better access to it.

Edited by Uomograsso

11 hours ago, jubug09 said:

My surgeons office told us specifically not to use Bone Broth and they HATE Premier Protein with a passion. I don't get it but apparently the pp are too processed with chemicals they don't like. And I think they are concerned with the sodium or fat levels in Bone Broth. It sure would be tasty tho lol

One of the things this site demonstrates is how much of the dietary experience is the personal preferences of the surgeon and his staff.

Hello! I am scheduled for January 30th. I wil be having the duodenal switch at Texas Health Presby in Denton, TX.

Day one of 2 week pre-op diet...

20 hours ago, jubug09 said:

I have been using this for broth. It has 12 grams of collagen Protein per serving and the same amount of sodium as low sodium chicken broth from the grocery store which my doctor recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013XT7ZNE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

9 hours ago, Duke483 said:

One of the things this site demonstrates is how much of the dietary experience is the personal preferences of the surgeon and his staff.

Yes! Exactly.

While we are waiting for updates from our ppl who had surgery today/this week...I've got some updates, I decided to start packing my hospital bag tonight. I needed a distraction from hunger and nerves, lol. I've purchased something loose to wear to the hospital, lounge wear for after surgery (for home), Gas-X, Tums, Mederma, lightly scented hand sanitizer (I'm a germaphobe), extra unscented chapsticks, a cute little basket to put supplies in by my different areas in the house. I'm a over planner, I prefer to be over prepared instead of underprepared. I'm not going to carry supplies from room to room. I'd rather have little stations set up, pillows to prop up and shoes by the door for short walks. I'm getting antsy.....ready for my pre-op Friday at least, I have a million questions for my surgeon.

On a side note: Thank you guys for letting me ramble on and on..

Edited by Krimsonbutterflies

Hi guys!!! I’m a little over 24 hours post op. This is my first surgery ever in my life. I went in really nervous woke up so fright and out of it that I regretted it because I couldn’t hold my crying baby. The pain was not in my incisions it was all over my body like I had gotten beat up. Drinking the 4 oz of Water with one oz being Protein. My hospital uses ensure protien max. They do NOT recommend the regular ensure. Only the low fat and carb protein max. I have to say it was rather tasty. And I don’t like Protein Drinks at all. The nausea patch behind your ear creates extreme dry mouth. I brushed my teeth often and it helped but didn’t go away. It’s starting to subside now. I had my surgery 01/14 at 6pm and was released home 01/15 at 3pm. So less than 24 hours. And I love being home!!!!!
If anyone has any questions I would love to answer them?

18 minutes ago, sarahSingh91 said:

Hi guys!!! I’m a little over 24 hours post op. This is my first surgery ever in my life. I went in really nervous woke up so fright and out of it that I regretted it because I couldn’t hold my crying baby. The pain was not in my incisions it was all over my body like I had gotten beat up. Drinking the 4 oz of Water with one oz being Protein. My hospital uses ensure protien max. They do NOT recommend the regular ensure. Only the low fat and carb Protein max. I have to say it was rather tasty. And I don’t like Protein Drinks at all. The nausea patch behind your ear creates extreme dry mouth. I brushed my teeth often and it helped but didn’t go away. It’s starting to subside now. I had my surgery 01/14 at 6pm and was released home 01/15 at 3pm. So less than 24 hours. And I love being home!!!!!
If anyone has any questions I would love to answer them?

First, welcome home and congratulations. Are you able to hold your baby now, at least with the assistance of a pillow over your stomach? What was the admittance to the hospital like up until surgery?

Hi all, I am now nearly 48 hours post op band to mini bypass. Band removal and bypass done at the same time. All has gone well. There was pain but it was well managed and tolerable. There was also a small bit of nausea. The first day I ate/drank nothing. The second day after bloods and X-ray, I was allowed Water. Today, the drain was removed (along with most of the pain) and I was given a tray with tea, Dutch crispbake with butter/jam and a yogurt. No issues with any of it.
My surgery was done by Dr. Chris DeBruyne in Belgium, I cannot recommend him and his team highly enough. Now, to learn to use my tool to the best advantage, I’m looking forward to it :)