Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January 2020 Surgery Date

3 minutes ago, Sammi_Katt said:

I am too. Doing my best to stay busy and distracted. Went and walked around the mall in Vegas yesterday, walked a mile and just did window shopping. Been playing video games and trying to do anything to distract. Been looking up bariatric recipes and stuff to try to get in the mindset of "in four-six weeks, I can eat this kind of stuff" to give me something to look forward to.

So whatever normally can distract you... I know it isn't much right now to combat the jitters, but just know you can do this. It will be a good chance for you. It will help. You've got this. ❤️

I’ve been trying to distract myself with games and Netflix. I took the dog for a 20 minute walk a bit ago, but wound up hyper focused on the surgery. 😄

12 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

I can't sleep at all this past week, since January 1st, due to the anticipation and excitement, research, running to the bathroom all night from all of the liquids, What's everyone doing until surgery date to stay occupied?

I’ve cleaned out my closet, all my drawers, organized my linen closet, organized the attic and put Christmas away. I go back to work Monday fro the holidays so that will occupy a lot! 3 work weeks then it will be here.

On 01/04/2020 at 16:07, Panther Girl said:

Jan 14th in Charlotte NC

Me too!!!! Jan 14

I’m scheduled for surgery on Jan 8, 2020
-still debating whether to do the sleeve or army; leaning towards sleeve a little more.

Super anxious and my biggest fear is that my liver won’t be small enough for surgery.

In day #7 of pre-op 10 day 800 calories day diet.

I'm in week two of my liquid diet. Two more weeks to go. It's so odd how we all have different time lengths for pre-op diets. I really hope my liver shrinks some before surgery. The first 3 days I lost 7 lbs, in the next week I lost 6.3 more. My surgery goal was to lose 14 total so I'm almost there with two weeks to go. It feels soooo far away.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using BariatricPal mobile app

For those of you having surgery on Monday, I've been reading that your anxieties are into overdrive. Practice slow deep cleansing breaths and sleep in your most comfortable positions that you know you aren't going to be able to sleep in for awhile. Take a long relaxing bath (because we you are going to be relegated to showers for along while), go get a nice pedicure tomorrow (those include a foot massage), change your sheets and before you leave for the hospital make your bed up nice and pull the covers back (leave a gas-x instead of a mint on the pillow, lol), buy flowers for your room for yourself and a nice card with kind words reminding yourself why you are proud of you!!!! Make a basket of things you need and put it by your bed within your reach, lay comfy loose pajamas on your bed & put your slippers by your bed, put a fresh towel in your bathroom, change your toothbrush just because, get new batteries for your remote controls ( I assume we all will be watching lots of TV in between naps & walks in the house), get a new journal and pens to write, borrow some books and etc...

There's plenty of ideas above to keep you occupied until Monday and you can always pray or meditate, download the calm app or go on YouTube and find the Honest guys, I love the meditations offered :

This is my favorite one, they offer many. Stay busy pre-pampering yourself, because you deserve it.

Edited by Krimsonbutterflies

8 hours ago, Krimsonbutterflies said:

For those of you having surgery on Monday, I've been reading that your anxieties are into overdrive. Practice slow deep cleansing breaths and sleep in your most comfortable positions that you know you aren't going to be able to sleep in for awhile. Take a long relaxing bath (because we you are going to be relegated to showers for along while), go get a nice pedicure tomorrow (those include a foot massage), change your sheets and before you leave for the hospital make your bed up nice and pull the covers back (leave a gas-x instead of a mint on the pillow, lol), buy flowers for your room for yourself and a nice card with kind words reminding yourself why you are proud of you!!!! Make a basket of things you need and put it by your bed within your reach, lay comfy loose pajamas on your bed & put your slippers by your bed, put a fresh towel in your bathroom, change your toothbrush just because, get new batteries for your remote controls ( I assume we all will be watching lots of TV in between naps & walks in the house), get a new journal and pens to write, borrow some books and etc...

There's plenty of ideas above to keep you occupied until Monday and you can always pray or meditate, download the calm app or go on YouTube and find the Honest guys, I love the meditations offered :

This is my favorite one, they offer many. Stay busy pre-pampering yourself, because you deserve it.

Totally trying. We are in Vegas so we got some fun things to do... went and did an escape room and got to do a wreck room (where you take a baseball bat, crowbar, etc, to breakable things as hard as you want). That de-stressed a lot lol.

My surgery is tomorrow first thing in the morning, and it's hard to get my brain to think of things other than "WORRY." 😕

1 hour ago, Sammi_Katt said:

Totally trying. We are in Vegas so we got some fun things to do... went and did an escape room and got to do a wreck room (where you take a baseball bat, crowbar, etc, to breakable things as hard as you want). That de-stressed a lot lol.

My surgery is tomorrow first thing in the morning, and it's hard to get my brain to think of things other than "WORRY." 😕

I don't know your budget, but is a spa day affordable? Being that it's Vegas I'm sure they have same day appointments, you can get one service and enjoy the amenities to keep the cost down. Another good destressor as well.

On 01/05/2020 at 01:43, Krimsonbutterflies said:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/F2iYcyJ9mU4?feature=oembed

Dang can I just put u in my brain for a week lol 😆 I was like ahhh this sounds so great. I need this in my life lol

On 01/04/2020 at 20:50, jubug09 said:

I'm in week two of my liquid diet. Two more weeks to go. It's so odd how we all have different time lengths for pre-op diets. I really hope my liver shrinks some before surgery. The first 3 days I lost 7 lbs, in the next week I lost 6.3 more. My surgery goal was to lose 14 total so I'm almost there with two weeks to go. It feels soooo far away.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using BariatricPal mobile app

STAY ON UR SURGEONS DIETS
But this is just what my surgeon told me.
My surgeon is Dr. Snyder Denver Bariatric center of excellence. ( he is the head surgeon in the US is on the board for bariatric and other things he fixes all the complications and problems from other surgeons he has patients fly from all over even out of the US to see him. Some patients come from London New Zealand etc) BUT he told me that the size of ur liver has nothing to do with it. They thought that it did in the past but new studies show the complications that arose from “large livers” where actually surgeon error 😳 so his patients and the other surgeons that work along and with him in the Denver center do not require a liquid diet etc for weeks before hand to “shrink liver”
He said it’s also a mental tool the surgeons can use on us. It’s test our will power ( which he also mentioned is a reason he does not do this. It causes us a lot of unneeded stress and anxiety while we r already preparing for such a huge change we do not need this stress) he said it’s cruel to have patients on such a long liquid diet. Because the patients think they HAVE to follow this strict liquid diet due to the size of their livers a medical need in reality it is not. He explained a whole lot about it to me. And it made me really sad
PLEASE FOLLOW UR SURGEONS DIET.
I am not saying to go off the diet.
But try not to let it control u mentally because that’s what they r hoping for. And I am so sorry that you all have to go through this. 🥺 I have listed my requirements previously. But Here they r again if anyone is interested? I have to do a clear liquid diet for 48hours to clean out the stomach and intestines ( he explained this is for medical reasons) and nothing 8 hours before surgery. That is the only requirement. For all his patients. And we all have “livers” and I’m sure they are all abnormally large due to our weight

Thanks for the prep tips! 😀 I especially like the tip on changing your sheets before surgery, so your bed is nice and fresh when you get home. I have my Vitamins, Protein Shakes, and Jello, but still need to get broth, and I guess, GasX?? I plan to make some homemade broth before surgery and freeze it in ice trays, but I would also like to get some broth packets.

I'm having surgery in Puerto Vallarta during a family vacation and I'll be there for several days after the surgery. I've been stressing about what comfy clothes to pack for after surgery and for travel home and I found these dresses on Amazon. They are inexpensive, $18-$21 a dress, and I think they will be very comfortable, like wearing a nightgown! I already have 2 short sleeved t-shirt type dresses, so I think the 5 dresses, a sweater, a pair of Birks, and a pair of nice sandals will be my complete wardrobe for the trip. The only robe I have is a big, warm fluffy one, so I may try to find a lightweight wrap robe that will pack easy.

Any other tips?

389055610_ScreenShot2020-01-05at1_26_16PM.png.16969c8728c691e67298fde5e19cd0e7.png486648447_ScreenShot2020-01-05at1_26_44PM.png.95b17629cc16e6f08dd91d461b976e22.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 1.27.00 PM.png

Edited by rene50

You are going to be stylish!!!! Get a tan before your surgery, vacation & surgery...multitasker,lol. Make sure you have comfortable slide in shoes as well, you may not feel like dealing with the stylish sandals on the way home. Assure that where you are staying has broths or etc. to accommodate your meal /hydration plan or access to a local store is available. Congratulations.