Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss slowed, focusing on non-scale victories

My weight loss has slowed. I'm at about 8 months post op and have lost 70% of my excess weight thus far. I'm trying to Celebrate non-scale victories until I get past this plateau. This morning I showered and got ready for work at the gym (I have usually just gone home to do this, unless it's a rare lunchtime workout). The tiny towel at the gym completely wrapped around me without a gap. I was so excited to see that! In the past when I've worked out during lunch I've had to bring a giant beach towel to completely wrap myself in after showering.

What non-scale victories are you celebrating? I need inspiration to look for other victories in places other than the scale.

1 hour ago, TeeBeau said:

My weight loss has slowed. I'm at about 8 months post op and have lost 70% of my excess weight thus far. I'm trying to Celebrate non-scale victories until I get past this plateau. This morning I showered and got ready for work at the gym (I have usually just gone home to do this, unless it's a rare lunchtime workout). The tiny towel at the gym completely wrapped around me without a gap. I was so excited to see that! In the past when I've worked out during lunch I've had to bring a giant beach towel to completely wrap myself in after showering.

What non-scale victories are you celebrating? I need inspiration to look for other victories in places other than the scale.

I posted this a while back but thought I'd use it to answer your question, congrats to you, that is a great NSV

Did my Wednesday weigh in last week and had a disappointing stall with no loss to report, not even an ounce. Did my Wednesday weigh in this morning (10 weeks post op) and the scale went down 4.5 lbs. However while in my stall week I wracked my brain as to how nor fret over my stall. In true fashion of being a David Letterman fan I decided to go old school and come up with a top ten list of things I've achieved since surgery pertaining to Non scale Victorys and not the number on the scale. Hoping everyone will post a few of their own. Here goes :

1. Actually realizing what full feels like for the first time in 57 years

2. Being able to buckle the airplane seatbelt without sliding the buckle to the very end

3. Being able to leave the bathroom after showering with only 1 bath towel wrapped around me instead of 2

4. Being able to tie my sneakers without being out of breath

5. Being able to easily zip last years winter coat and not having to buy a new one like the last few winters

6. Eagerly remembering to take the Fitbit off the charger to track steps and not leave it there for 3 or 4 days before remembering I haven't looked at it

7. Ordering the work team t-shirt and not having to pay the extra price for the sizes past XL

8. Being "that person" at lunch that actually orders the salad with grilled chicken instead of the cheeseburger and fries or tortellini alfredo after eating half the bread basket

9. Realizing you actually bought a piece of clothing because you liked it and not just because it was your size

10. Being able to sleep without waking yourself up with your own LOUD snoring

1. Actually realizing what full feels like for the first time in 57 years

YES

2. Being able to buckle the airplane seatbelt without sliding the buckle to the very end

YES - I have a video I sent my wife the first time I didnt have to use the extender... I never actually buckled it I would just tuck it like looked like it was buckled

5. Being able to easily zip last years winter coat and not having to buy a new one like the last few winters

YES

8. Being "that person" at lunch that actually orders the salad with grilled chicken instead of the cheeseburger and fries or tortellini alfredo after eating half the bread basket

This will never be me

10. Being able to sleep without waking yourself up with your own LOUD snoring

YES

Congrats, I remember that feeling also with my towel. Watching the gap slowly disappear and now it overlaps. Great feeling!

I found a pair a jeans that I last wore 26 years ago, had hoped to wear them again one day but forgot about them. I put them on and zipped them up the other day. They don't look like they used to on me, my body shape is quite different at this slightly older age and body but it felt awesome putting them on.

You have jeans that you haven't worn in 26 years? Oh my I would love to hear the story behind that. Why did you still have them were they all the way in the back of the closet type thing?

My NSV is that I can once again wear a jacket that hasn't come close to fitting me in 3 years. I am also celebrating that scale is moving again.

21 minutes ago, Brent701 said:

You have jeans that you haven't worn in 26 years? Oh my I would love to hear the story behind that. Why did you still have them were they all the way in the back of the closet type thing?

I really liked the way I looked in them and I felt really confident in them. When I bought them I had lost 75 pounds, was in really great shape. Then life happened and I put them away because I thought one day I could wear them again (sooner than 26 years lol). They've been a vacuum sealed bag for a few years.

Thats so cool and very happy you were able to achieve the same. I had a suit I bought in 2012 after losing 50lbs that I wore exactly 1 time. I kept it in my closet also with the hopes of being able to fit into it again but before i considered this surgery it was more like I was holding onto the past.

Enjoy your vintage jeans they are all the rage these days