Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to thank each and every one of you on these pages for being such a great source of support for me personally.

Having family, friends and doctors to talk with is great, but there really is no substitute for speaking with someone who actually went through with the surgery. There are many emotions that go into this process that are very difficult for the average person to understand.

I thought it might be fun to start a continuing thread that will allow people to find and connect with others in various stages of their VSG process.

Please reply with the following info about you and any pearls of wisdom you wish to share. Also indicate whether you are cool with someone sending you a message directly. I’ll share my info to start the process:

Date of VSG: 11/11/19

Sex: Male

Height: 5’7

High Weight: 311

Weight on Surgery Date: 281

Current Weight: 271 (1 week post-op)

Goal Weight: 185

Pearls of Wisdom:

(1) Stick to the pre-op diet and try to lose as much weight as you can before surgery. It reduces risks and complications of surgery and helps shrink your liver. I know too well that the temptation exists to have one “Last Fun Meal”, but if you can hold strong for two full weeks before going in, you won’t experience carb withdrawals and your body will become more accustomed to having a stomach that is not full of food.< br />
(2) Take a before photo and measurements to create a baseline of where you started right before surgery. It will be helpful to you in the weeks and months that follow.

(3) Order things you need at home waiting for you before you go in for surgery. This includes things like a variety of different Protein Shakes, chewable Multivitamins, non-carbonated/no-sugar drinks, broth, sugar free popsicles, comfy clothes, some nice fluffy blankets, a wedge to help you sleep on your back facing up, etc.

(4) Force yourself to walk after the surgery. The more laps you do at the hospital, the easier the healing process will be and the less pain and discomfort you will have. It also is an excellent way to prevent blood clots, which are a real risk if you stay in bed for several days. When you get home, gradually increase your steps and avoid lifting anything more than 5lbs.

(5) Sip liquids slowly. If need be, use a little one oz medicine cup. Also, try liquids at different temperatures. Sometimes super cold liquids create more discomfort.

(6) Heating pads of hot packs can offer some relief from gas and bloating if you experience it in the days following the surgery.

(7) Use pain meds only as needed. Although they work great, they also cause other things like Constipation, which can add to your pain and discomfort. If you are experiencing nausea, ask your doctor for Zofran or some other anti-nausea medicine. It’s real important that you manage the nausea so you can take in the proper amount of liquid and Protein after surgery.

(8) Listen carefully to every sign your body sends you. If you experience discomfort or nausea, stop and try to isolate the cause, so you don’t repeat it.

(9) Avoid stress after surgery at all costs! Don’t feel obligated to tell the whole world you had the surgery right away. In fact, limiting the people you tell, leaves you free to tell your story however you want it to be told. Focus more on the positive reinforcement you will receive when people begin to notice you losing weight. Sometimes telling people you had the surgery leads them to diminish the real efforts you are undertaking to lose weight. As with any weight loss procedure, the VSG only works if you make healthy lifestyle changes. There’s no reason why anyone should think that you had the surgery because you didn’t have the will power to diet and lose it via traditional means. Actually having the surgery IS a lifestyle commitment far more significant than siting on to a diet.

(10) Be proud of yourself and the decision you made to take control of your weight issues. Never be afraid to ask for help or advice if your not sure of something.

Looking forward to hearing other people’s stories!

I had my VSG December 11, 2018. I didn't experience any gas pains and didn't have any complications. 11 months out and have lost 116 pounds with 18 pounds to go to hit my final goal.

July 18 this year and I agree This place is the GOOGLE of Fatty forums, If you cant find it in a search here - Some of the wizards will get you the answers,

Naples Florida - 100 plus lost and lovin the journey

On 11/17/2019 at 23:31, AggiG said:

I had my VSG December 11, 2018. I didn't experience any gas pains and didn't have any complications. 11 months out and have lost 116 pounds with 18 pounds to go to hit my final goal.

That’s incredible! Congrats!

On 11/18/2019 at 08:29, AJ Tylo said:

July 18 this year and I agree This place is the GOOGLE of Fatty forums, If you cant find it in a search here - Some of the wizards will get you the answers,

Naples Florida - 100 plus lost and lovin the journey

Yes, this is definitely one of the best resources out there!

My date was the 24th of September 2019. So, I'm definitely new to this journey. 😊🤗

Sleeved 12/17/2017. Pre op liquid diet was terrible and I was miserable for a Month post op but I am very happy I had the surgery. I can't handle booze any more which is quite an adjustment but it's worth it. Good luck!

Hi Everyone,

Date of VSG: 11/20/19

Sex: Female

Height: 5’7

High Weight: 302

Weight on Surgery Date: 276

Current Weight: 262 ( 6 days post-op)

Goal Weight: 145

Pearls of Wisdom:

1) A small, firm pillow. Press it against that one main painful incision when you laugh, sneeze, cough or get up. Makes a huge difference in the pain.

2) Get up and walk in the hospital. It'll stretch out all those muscles and move the gas up and out. I had these little squeezing things on my lower legs while I slept also. They would inflate and deflate.

3) Keep your business to yourself. I debated on telling anyone about my surgery. I decided to keep it to my immediate family. Too many nay-sayers out there.

4) Follow your surgeon's directions to a T. I did not cheat on my pre op diet and I had very little gas after surgery.

5) Keep your mindset right. Take each day as it comes. Get your Water in!

6) Rest when you come home from the hospital. I'm a mom of three teens, and I did not actually wear street clothes until the Sunday after my surgery. I let my husband handle everything, even though I felt okay.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!😁

AUG 29 2018 WAS VSG DAY AT SURGERY I WAS 306

PRE DIET I WAS 346 AT THE START AUG 1

ONE YEAR AND A COUPLE MONTHS 185 ABOUT 160 LOST

DONT REMEMBER ANY REAL PAIN DO REMEMBER THE MENTAL STRUGGLE STILL FIGHT IT TODAY

EXERCISE AND food INTAKE IS WHAT I WATCH THE CLOSEST WITH Protein STILL MY NUMBER ONE CONCERN

These are all great posts! I found them very helpful to me in the weeks and days leading up to the surgery. As for my update, just hit two weeks yesterday and my latest weigh-in was 266! Down 18lbs from the weight the hospital had on my admission record (I had it at 181). I’m definitely ready to move to soft foods, but I’m sticking to the plan to do another week of full liquids. Today, I had my first meal in a restaurant. Ordered a cup of cream of Tomato Soup and was very satisfied and full when I finished. So far so good! Keep posting your updates!