Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just got my gastric sleeve done 11/12/19, I am able to start my full liquid diet but when I go to drink my Protein Shakes, I can only drink about three sips, how do I force more down I have just been sticking to liquids. Because the attempt of broth or Protein shakes make me fuller more quicker and I can’t have as much. I also have been getting this pain it feels like liquid is coming up my throat but doesn’t come back out I don’t know how to describe it.

I got sleeved the same day and I try to get all mines in by slowly sipping 2 oz per hour and I was told to slowly try to add 5 more oz each day until I reach 60 oz I’m at about 21oz right now

On 11/17/2019 at 21:27, Ashley s said:

I just got my gastric sleeve done 11/12/19, I am able to start my full liquid diet but when I go to drink my Protein Shakes, I can only drink about three sips, how do I force more down I have just been sticking to liquids. Because the attempt of broth or Protein shakes make me fuller more quicker and I can’t have as much. I also have been getting this pain it feels like liquid is coming up my throat but doesn’t come back out I don’t know how to describe it.

What type of Protein Shakes are you using? I had my sleeve done 11/11 and when I tried Slim Fast Advantage again, I had major discomfort and pain, likely because of the sugar alcohols. Give Premiere Protein a shot and stick to only sipping out of a one oz medicine cup at a time. Slow and steady is the best way. I assure you that it will improve greatly as the days pass. Good Luck and Hang in There!

As long as you are getting your liquids in right now you should be ok. Keep working on the Protein. You have a lot of swelling going on right now that makes it hard to get thicker liquid down. It will get better as you heal.

Do call your surgeon to be sure that they tell you the same thing though.

Hang in there and good luck!

I was able to drink normally after, but dont force it... wait a few minutes and try again.

Also I was told Water can be a bit tough, so i added diet cordial and ice to mine

Im also doing Optifast for nutrients (im aussie so our aftercare may be different)

Start with a Ramekin of Protein Drink - There is nothing wrong with putting a cup of ice in a nutra bullet and diluting the Protein drink a little, The Premier is thick to me, i run ice with mine every day to thin it out.

Nobody says you have to slam down 9oz at time, take it slow you have a journey,

I also love the protein waters by Premier they are light, fruity and go down easy

13 hours ago, Ashley s said:

I was told if it takes 1 hr to get your shake it's ok. There's no race on how long it should take to drink it. Just as long as you get the Protein that is needed.

You can also look into clear, flavorless Protein powders that you can add into your Water. They also have a protein water on the market that I believe has 15 or 20g of protein. Those might help you initially while you're still struggling with getting more liquids in. Good luck!

Try just sipping it slowly over say like an hour. I had RNY on 10/11 and I still can't drink a lot at once or I feel like its coming right back up. My Protein Shakes still take me an 1 - 1 1/2 hrs to drink.

I struggle with getting all my liquids in daily as well, but its starting to get a bit easier. Just go at your pace and don't force it. Good luck!

Some of the Protein Shakes are really thick. I would put mine in a nutribullet with ice. It felt good on my stomach and I ate it slowly so it worked for me. I also added unflavored Protein Powder and collagen to crystal light drinks and made those in the nutribullet with ice. Made icees out of them it helped me. I drank a ton of Gatorade zero too because I was getting lightheaded and the surgeon said because I wasn’t having salt intake. I still have Gatorade zero occasionally. I still sometimes feel like the Protein shakes are too heavy and put it back in the fridge awhile and finish it later. Good luck to you!