Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Tips for the journey

I saw this on another forum and thought it worthy to share as it has all the great information and advice we all need for the journey! it is written by Mellissa Gangi and what I had wished I had been told from the very beginning.

Sleeve Tips:

I'm 10 months post op today and along this journey, so far, I've seen a lot of the same questions or concerns from many. I thought these tips could help!

1. Take preop photos... you'll want them!

2. Protein shakes...I used Isopure Protein Powder and scooped it into 2 oz. of Water (u can add ice and blend too) to drink in my immediate postop period. It was much less to drink at a sitting and you still got in your protein. It would take me over an hour to drink each one, but way easier to me. Plus, isopure has multiple flavors and it was reasonably priced. I bought off Amazon. Also, GENEPRO is an unflavored protein powder that is very popular. It can be added to pretty much anything. The scoop is tiny and it gives 30g of protein per scoop. I use it daily in my morning coffee but if adding it to hot liquids you have to add Creamer 1st to cool it down or it will clump up or dissolve in a little warm water 1st then add... the directions are on the bag. It is not completely unflavored and it has a smell to it, but most of us get used to it quickly.
Your body can only absorb up to 30g of protein per serving, so anything more than that at once will be wasted and it doesn't count towards your daily goals!

3. STALLS happen...stick to your plan and the scale will move again! You most likely will be losing inches during that time. They can last a few weeks...especially the 3 week stall. The further you are out they may even last longer and at that point you may have to shake things up a bit, maybe a day or 2 most increase your carbs then go back to your plan. Don't get discouraged and try to just be patient.

4. No NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve, motrin, etc...) they can cause ulcers...tylenol products are ok and Excedrin Tension is ok (great for headaches) it has tylenol and caffeine in it, no aspirin like the other excedrin products. Also, peppermint oil rubbed on your temples help for headaches.

5. Fluid intake...atleast 64 oz of non caffeinated, non carbonated, sugar free fluids but the rule of thumb is drink half of your body weight in ounces.

6. Caffeine and alcohol...follow your surgeons orders. They both can dehydrate you and cause ulcers in the beginning of your journey. And alcohol may affect you differently postop, so be careful. Absorbtion changes postop.

7. Transfer addictions...a lot of bariatric patients give up food for other addictions like shopping and alcohol. Be mindful.

8. Increased chance of pregnancy after surgery. You can be much more fertile. Even if you had problems with it preop.

9. Increased divorce rates postop...I have looked into this because I was curious as to why. I have found that it does indeed increase, but the majority of the couples that do have had issues preop and the spouse that had surgery loses the weight, increases their self esteem and simply won't stand for the same behavior anymore.

10. Sugar/Carbs...1st and foremost, follow your plan. There are reasons why your surgeon and/or nutritionist gives you one, especially while healing and it takes approximately 6 weeks for your tummy to heal. After you are advanced to a "regular" diet, usually about 2 month postop, yes you can eat some sweets or carbs but in moderation. Always try to get your protein in 1st, though. I have chosen to stay away from sugar and certain carbs. I don't crave them, so why reintroduce them. I know me, and moderation is hard for me.

11. Everyone's weightloss journey is different. Try not to compare yourself to the next person. It's hard not to, I know! But their weight, height, sex, medical history all plays a part of it. If you do what you should be doing, you'll lose!

12. Dumping and The Foamies...
Dumping occurs when your new tummy just doesn't agree with something you consumed. Dumping occurs more in bypass patients but it can occur with sleeves, also. Symptoms can include sudden vomiting, diarrhea, and increased heart rate and last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
The Foamies... you'll know what this is if you get it. It's a lot of phlegm that is produced in your esophagus all of a sudden. It can happen if you eat or drink too fast, or take in too much, or drink right after eating...wait to drink atleast 30 minutes after eating. Plus, if you drink with eating or too close afterwards you flush the food through your belly too fast and you're not absorbing nutrients.

13. Take your Vitamins and get in your protein daily! This will not only help your weightloss and prevent Vitamin deficiency but it will help with the sunken in look when you lose weight. I was told 60-90g of protein daily, but follow your drs orders. I take 2 flintstones with Iron chewables a day because I couldn't tolerate the prescribed Multivitamin, in addition to Calcium with d3, and magnesium and B12.

14. Gas ex chewables, heating pads, and walking help big time for your gas pains. When I woke up from this surgery I thought I was having a heart attack because the gas was causing chest pains. Also, use the incentive spirometry in the immediate postop period. Anesthesia affects your lungs and it takes 72 hours to completely wear off so the breathing exercises help strengthen them and prevent pneumonia.

15. Heartburn...omeprazole works so well for me. My surgeon prescribed it from day 1 and I love it.

16. Postop hormones... your body almost goes into shock in the 1st 6 weeks or so after surgery from the major changes to it. You may feel different mentally...it does get better but if it's bad talk to your dr about it.

17. Medications... your body can change postop. The same medications you were on preop may be absorbed differently postop so if you notice changes talk to your dr. They may need to be adjusted. And extended release meds may not work as well.

18. Tracking your intake keeps you honest. I love the baritastic app. It also has recipes for all the stages and reminders.

19. Head hunger vs real hunger. This is a lifestyle change, your body needs much less calories postop but you have to retrain your brain. It may take time and that's normal. If you fall off the wagon one day...oh well...get back on it the next. We are all human. Don't get discouraged. Just pick yourself back up.

20. Complications can happen. If your body starts feeling different...new onset pains, nausea, vomiting, passing out, food feeling stuck in esophagus, etc...call your surgeon. You're always better safe than sorry.

21. Abbreviations...
HW your highest weight
SW what you weighed on your surgery day
GW your goal weight
CW what you weigh currently
NSV non scale victory
Nut nutritionist
VSG vertical sleeve gastrectomy (sleeve surgery)
RNY roux-en-Y (gastric bypass)
DS duodenal switch surgery

22. Hair loss or thinning happens. But, it will grow back. I thinned starting at about 4 months. It can last months. Many take Biotin supplements for it, I didn't.

23. Get ready to be cold! You're body is changing, it's almost in shock so invest in a Comfy, like me, or electric blanket to keep warm lol.

24. What to bring to the hospital for your surgery stay...a long phone charger, chapstick, your phone, comfy pjs, slippers, a robe, earbuds, and a list of your medical history, surgeries, allergies, and medications with dosages. Others add gas ex chewables but I'm an RN and don't recommend taking any meds from home without the nurses or drs knowledge. Some also say a heating pad to help with gas pains, but walking is best. Also, remember to hug a pillow if you cough or sneeze. It will help!

25. Constipation! It is a part of this journey, unfortunately. The only thing that helps me, and this is not conventional, is sugar free hard candies. A few of those babies (no more than 5 or you'll hate me) and you'll be going within 12 hours. The sugar alcohols do it for me. But, more conventional approaches are benefiber packets, Smooth Move tea, or Miralax. And there's diarrhea in the beginning...liquids in, liquids out. But your 1st bowel movement may take awhile...its all normal.

26. Ketosis...when you cut out sugar and go low carb you're body goes into a state of ketosis. This is a metabolic state that now uses fat for energy, instead of carbs. It aids in weightloss, but has some side effects like bad breath, body odor, bowel changes, fatigue at 1st but then increased energy the longer you're in it, and insomnia. Those side effects will decrease over time so just invest in mouthwash for the meantime!

I know this is a lot, but hopefully it helps! If I missed anything, feel free to chime in. Best of luck to everyone!

can we make this a pop up for all new Sleevers -

11 minutes ago, Coexister said:

8. Increased chance of pregnancy after surgery. You can be much more fertile. Even if you had problems with it preop.

Say what .... Guys pay attention Do not date Post OP Sleeve girls, They are rigged! I never heard this before, Thank you .... Saved me 21 years of work - My two are off to college could not imagine starting again. Oh wait me and the dog are neutered - good to date Post OP Sleevers

I'd like to add to the list....

27. Budget for replacement clothes...it will cost you £££££s (or for most people here - $$$$) and you will probably need to do it after 6 month, after 12 months....blah blah blah...;-)

43 minutes ago, AJ Tylo said:

Say what .... Guys pay attention Do not date Post OP Sleeve girls, They are rigged! I never heard this before, Thank you .... Saved me 21 years of work

Could you explain about not dating post op sleeve girls. Then you said "It’s good to date post op girls" I’m confused.

Edited by Healthy_life2

Being Joking - Over Fertile

I saw this on another forum and thought it worthy to share as it has all the great information and advice we all need for the journey! it is written by Mellissa Gangi and what I had wished I had been told from the very beginning.

Sleeve Tips:

I'm 10 months post op today and along this journey, so far, I've seen a lot of the same questions or concerns from many. I thought these tips could help!

1. Take preop photos... you'll want them!

2. Protein shakes...I used Isopure Protein Powder and scooped it into 2 oz. of Water (u can add ice and blend too) to drink in my immediate postop period. It was much less to drink at a sitting and you still got in your Protein. It would take me over an hour to drink each one, but way easier to me. Plus, Isopure has multiple flavors and it was reasonably priced. I bought off Amazon. Also, GENEPRO is an unflavored protein powder that is very popular. It can be added to pretty much anything. The scoop is tiny and it gives 30g of protein per scoop. I use it daily in my morning coffee but if adding it to hot liquids you have to add Creamer 1st to cool it down or it will clump up or dissolve in a little warm Water 1st then add... the directions are on the bag. It is not completely unflavored and it has a smell to it, but most of us get used to it quickly.
Your body can only absorb up to 30g of protein per serving, so anything more than that at once will be wasted and it doesn't count towards your daily goals!

3. STALLS happen...stick to your plan and the scale will move again! You most likely will be losing inches during that time. They can last a few weeks...especially the 3 week stall. The further you are out they may even last longer and at that point you may have to shake things up a bit, maybe a day or 2 most increase your carbs then go back to your plan. Don't get discouraged and try to just be patient.

4. No NSAIDS (aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve, motrin, etc...) they can cause ulcers...tylenol products are ok and Excedrin Tension is ok (great for headaches) it has tylenol and caffeine in it, no aspirin like the other excedrin products. Also, peppermint oil rubbed on your temples help for headaches.

5. Fluid intake...atleast 64 oz of non caffeinated, non carbonated, sugar free fluids but the rule of thumb is drink half of your body weight in ounces.

6. Caffeine and alcohol...follow your surgeons orders. They both can dehydrate you and cause ulcers in the beginning of your journey. And alcohol may affect you differently postop, so be careful. Absorbtion changes postop.

7. Transfer addictions...a lot of bariatric patients give up food for other addictions like shopping and alcohol. Be mindful.

9. Increased divorce rates postop...I have looked into this because I was curious as to why. I have found that it does indeed increase, but the majority of the couples that do have had issues preop and the spouse that had surgery loses the weight, increases their self esteem and simply won't stand for the same behavior anymore.

10. Sugar/Carbs...1st and foremost, follow your plan. There are reasons why your surgeon and/or nutritionist gives you one, especially while healing and it takes approximately 6 weeks for your tummy to heal. After you are advanced to a "regular" diet, usually about 2 month postop, yes you can eat some sweets or carbs but in moderation. Always try to get your protein in 1st, though. I have chosen to stay away from sugar and certain carbs. I don't crave them, so why reintroduce them. I know me, and moderation is hard for me.

11. Everyone's weightloss journey is different. Try not to compare yourself to the next person. It's hard not to, I know! But their weight, height, sex, medical history all plays a part of it. If you do what you should be doing, you'll lose!

12. Dumping and The Foamies...
Dumping occurs when your new tummy just doesn't agree with something you consumed. Dumping occurs more in bypass patients but it can occur with sleeves, also. Symptoms can include sudden vomiting, diarrhea, and increased heart rate and last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
The Foamies... you'll know what this is if you get it. It's a lot of phlegm that is produced in your esophagus all of a sudden. It can happen if you eat or drink too fast, or take in too much, or drink right after eating...wait to drink atleast 30 minutes after eating. Plus, if you drink with eating or too close afterwards you flush the food through your belly too fast and you're not absorbing nutrients.

13. Take your Vitamins and get in your protein daily! This will not only help your weightloss and prevent Vitamin deficiency but it will help with the sunken in look when you lose weight. I was told 60-90g of protein daily, but follow your drs orders. I take 2 flintstones with Iron chewables a day because I couldn't tolerate the prescribed Multivitamin, in addition to Calcium with d3, and magnesium and B12.

14. Gas ex chewables, heating pads, and walking help big time for your gas pains. When I woke up from this surgery I thought I was having a heart attack because the gas was causing chest pains. Also, use the incentive spirometry in the immediate postop period. Anesthesia affects your lungs and it takes 72 hours to completely wear off so the breathing exercises help strengthen them and prevent pneumonia.

15. Heartburn...omeprazole works so well for me. My surgeon prescribed it from day 1 and I love it.

16. Postop hormones... your body almost goes into shock in the 1st 6 weeks or so after surgery from the major changes to it. You may feel different mentally...it does get better but if it's bad talk to your dr about it.

17. Medications... your body can change postop. The same medications you were on preop may be absorbed differently postop so if you notice changes talk to your dr. They may need to be adjusted. And extended release meds may not work as well.

18. Tracking your intake keeps you honest. I love the baritastic app. It also has recipes for all the stages and reminders.

19. Head hunger vs real hunger. This is a lifestyle change, your body needs much less calories postop but you have to retrain your brain. It may take time and that's normal. If you fall off the wagon one day...oh well...get back on it the next. We are all human. Don't get discouraged. Just pick yourself back up.

20. Complications can happen. If your body starts feeling different...new onset pains, nausea, vomiting, passing out, food feeling stuck in esophagus, etc...call your surgeon. You're always better safe than sorry.

21. Abbreviations...
HW your highest weight
SW what you weighed on your surgery day
GW your goal weight
CW what you weigh currently
NSV non scale victory
Nut nutritionist
VSG vertical sleeve gastrectomy (sleeve surgery)
RNY roux-en-Y (gastric bypass)
DS duodenal switch surgery

22. Hair loss or thinning happens. But, it will grow back. I thinned starting at about 4 months. It can last months. Many take Biotin supplements for it, I didn't.

23. Get ready to be cold! You're body is changing, it's almost in shock so invest in a Comfy, like me, or electric blanket to keep warm lol.

24. What to bring to the hospital for your surgery stay...a long phone charger, chapstick, your phone, comfy pjs, slippers, a robe, earbuds, and a list of your medical history, surgeries, allergies, and medications with dosages. Others add gas ex chewables but I'm an RN and don't recommend taking any meds from home without the nurses or drs knowledge. Some also say a heating pad to help with gas pains, but walking is best. Also, remember to hug a pillow if you cough or sneeze. It will help!

25. Constipation! It is a part of this journey, unfortunately. The only thing that helps me, and this is not conventional, is sugar free hard candies. A few of those babies (no more than 5 or you'll hate me) and you'll be going within 12 hours. The sugar alcohols do it for me. But, more conventional approaches are benefiber packets, Smooth Move tea, or Miralax. And there's diarrhea in the beginning...liquids in, liquids out. But your 1st bowel movement may take awhile...its all normal.

26. Ketosis...when you cut out sugar and go low carb you're body goes into a state of ketosis. This is a metabolic state that now uses fat for energy, instead of carbs. It aids in weightloss, but has some side effects like bad breath, body odor, bowel changes, fatigue at 1st but then increased energy the longer you're in it, and insomnia. Those side effects will decrease over time so just invest in mouthwash for the meantime!

I know this is a lot, but hopefully it helps! If I missed anything, feel free to chime in. Best of luck to everyone!

Thanks your information was helpful.

Sent from my LG-US998 using BariatricPal mobile app

This is great info thanks! Needed for myself and I'm at 4 weeks post op.

But I disagree on the NSAIDS - those are 100% ok for sleeve patients. In fact I was told to alternate ibuprofen and tylenol post-op for pain.

I've had the foamies a couple times, glad to know why lol. sugar free hard candies might be a godsend.

My wife and I have also been quite concerned about the divorce rate but I think it just amplifies bad relationships and makes good ones stronger. At least I hope.