Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m on day 10 of 14 for the pre-op Optifast stage. I’m type 1 diabetic and woke up the other day low and confused and tore into a pack of wafers. I’ve also ‘cheated’ a few days with decalf coffee with almond milk or skim milk. The days I did, I had one shake less. Has anyone actually had their surgery cancelled for not following the pre-op strictly??

I also cheated 2 or 3 times before but tried to restrict it to Proteins, or food that wouldn't knock me out of ketosis from the shakes.

I think you are ok, but get back on the diet and make sure you're very strict in the days before the op because I think you need to be absolutely empty in the stomach.

I lost about 10kg (22 pounds) in the 3 weeks before the surgery.

Thanks for advice and encouragement!!

hey you are human and it happens, i'm sure you will have lost enough. Being type 1 diabetic having a hypo you will need a high carb boost so you know....don't worry it'll be fine :)

First and foremost you have to treat your lows being a T1! ((hugs)) I'm sure you know just how much you have to eat to bring your sugars up x amount? I have reactive hypo and wake with lows in the mid-30s to mid-40s. I now have a rescue packet beside my bed that includes:

blood sugar meter

glucose chewable tablets

glucose gummies

6oz orange juice

nut butter

nuts

I always follow what ever glucose I need with the nuts or nut butter once my bg starts to rise (after about 30minutes of the glucose dose). That way my spike is minimized to bringing glucose back into the 80s.

I find that 1-2 wafers or 2-3 gummies will get it done. That way I minimize damage.

Can you rig something like that up for the future?

I wouldn't worry about what you've had to do to keep out of hypo-land. You're doing your very best and I am betting that you will be in good shape when you hit the OR. Just keep following the plan. I know it's scary dealing with all of this and I hope you see an improvement in your T1 with the surgery!!

You guys are so empathetic and kind- it is so heartwarming and encouraging! I definitely have better options to deal with low blood sugars and keep them on hand always. I think the combo of low blood sugar, and hunger and parental fatigue had me go nuts a little😂😂😂