Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all! I'm back. I had my meetings with surgeons and my Gastroenterologist. I picked my surgeon (he said one surgery) and started my 6 month insurance clock! I am having a EGD on Valentine's Day and my first weight management class on the 25th. I'm nervous, excited and all the emotions. I let the cat out of the bag to my niece, who had RNY about six years ago. She's pretty blunt about things and would tell me if she thought it was a bad idea, but she is more confident than I am that this is the right thing to do. She's been great - encouraging and helpful with real-world advice and warnings. The best kind, because she knows me and how I am. (We are much closer in age than my sister/her mom and I). That and the hearty green light from my Gastroenterologist with an order to go forth succeed and enjoy my new life gave me so much more confidence and positive feelings. I get very anxious and in my head sometimes and I certainly have been. I have been set free in a sense. Looking forward to the future!

I hope everyone else is doing great. Have a great week!

That's great news all around. Hope the weight management program goes well. I started my pre-op diet today while we are driving home from Arizona. My wife has decided to do it with me which is a huge plus. God bless her for supporting me through this journey. The first day went well. My revision surgery is coming up on Feb 27. Pre-op appointments are on Monday with the surgeon and nutritionist. It is our final meetings prior to surgery. It's been a journey to get to this point, but it is only just beginning. I have been struggling with weight control since my lapband was removed in December. Traveling the last several weeks hasn't made it any easier. Hoping the pre-op diet will get me back my weight las month.

On 2/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, momotrips3 said:

H I picked my surgeon (he said one surgery)

You will be glad to have it done in one surgery. It cuts the risk in half of everything that's dangerous about a hospital such as anaesthesia risk, nosocomial infections, and especially heart attacks after seeing that hospital bill!😁 And only having to recover once is nice, also. I had my band removed and the bypass done in one step and I'm glad my surgeon does it that way.

9 hours ago, Mark.olypenn said:

That's great news all around. Hope the weight management program goes well. I started my pre-op diet today while we are driving home from Arizona. My wife has decided to do it with me which is a huge plus. God bless her for supporting me through this journey. The first day went well. My revision surgery is coming up on Feb 27. Pre-op appointments are on Monday with the surgeon and nutritionist. It is our final meetings prior to surgery. It's been a journey to get to this point, but it is only just beginning. I have been struggling with weight control since my lapband was removed in December. Traveling the last several weeks hasn't made it any easier. Hoping the pre-op diet will get me back my weight las month.

Your wife sounds like a real peach to diet with you! You'll find appetite control is much easier after your procedure. And only two weeks away! Good luck and keep us posted!

Hi all!

I am glad I found this post. I was banded in April 2008 and did well for a very long time. I lost 160# and kept off about 140 of it over the last 11 years. But now, there are problems. I have been having intense chest pain, reflux, and lots of puking. I put off seeing my doc because I was fearful she would say the band would need to be removed. I finally met with the doc and she first unfilled the band, then scheduled an upper GI. Had that, and the tech noted that the barium was staying in my esophagus and the sphincter was not opening. Then, when it finally opened, that is when I had the chest pain.
I followed back up with the doc and she said that I had a "lazy esophagus" that had been worn out from almost 12 years of banding and puking. She ordered and endoscopy, which I had last week. I have my follow up next week to talk about next steps.
Since having the band unfilled, the reflux has gone and the chest pain happens much less frequently. However, I can eat anything now with no restriction.....and that has been a challenge. The doc said, before the endoscopy, that if the band has to be removed, she would not recommend a sleeve on top of a lazy esophagus...and the bypass would be my best option if I wanted a revision.
It doesn't sound like refilling the band is going to be an option. So, I think I will have to decide to have bypass or have the band removed and try to live a "normal" life.
I am having a lot of mixed emotions and nerves. Really, I won't know anything for sure until the follow up appointment next week....but I am preparing mentally for it.
Curious if anyone else had similar symptoms/issues and had a revision to bypass? Or, and advice?
Appreciate it!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches