Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My husband calls me a cheap date 😉

First time was at four weeks - marked my first solid ‘real’ food & my cousin’s 40th. Had a small white fish croquette - about two bites.
I also choose seafood options like fish, prawns, scallops & calamari & only Entrees (American appetisers). I find I struggle when I go out - I subconsciously tense up - and never finish the meal.
Had grilled fish & salad the other day but they over cooked the snapper making it dry with sharp, scratchy edges. Had trouble eating it & gave up after a couple of bites. Very sad... & it cost me $30.

salad is one of last food my nutritionist says we should eat. I never order from regular menu anymore. At least at this stage which is 8 weeks out. I order from appetizers or sides. My dinners cost $10-$20. If really want to try something usually friends eating out with offer taste if it’s something I can eat.

Don’t worry the salad was just for show. I already had them remove the chips and fish would have looked ridiculous on their huge plates. 😜 Plus I was with people who don’t know I had the surgery & I didn’t want to deal with the strange looks. I’m at 6.5mths & the only salad I have is the odd slice of cucumber.

I’m about 2 months out and have been out a couple times.

Once I had sashimi tuna. It was amazing. Tonight I had Chick-fil-A 6 pack of nuggets grilled with the zesty buffalo sauce. That was good but a little dry.

So I was wondering what was the soonest people went out to eat after surgery? I know I can go out with friends and not eat anything, but what was the soonest that you found something on the menu that you could actually eat?

Thanks!

Two months at least for real food.. sometimes it takes more.. but for drinks(without alchohol) you can go after week 4 I guess.. but don't aim for ice creams or creamy stuff at first.. start with drinks..

Sent from my SM-G935F using BariatricPal mobile app

I went out exactly two weeks after surgery. Enjoyed a sunny side up fried egg and itty bitty chunks of a chicken sausage mixed in. Chewed, chewed, chewed. So yummy. Only finished a third of the chicken sausage patty before the egg was gone and I felt like I had just eaten two giant plates of food.< br>
Sent from my Pixel 3 using BariatricPal mobile app

You could eat solid food after only 2 weeks Of surgery? According to my plan I couldn’t try solid food week til 4. I’m 2+ mos out now. I still can only eat one egg. Had Breakfast out & ordered 1 poached egg. Had it on top of slice Tomato & Canadian bacon.

Technically I'm on week 3, pureed food, and a sliced up runny fried egg is pretty much that. My doc also suggested blended meat, so taking tiny bits of sausage (I'm talking no bigger than like a grain of rice at a time), and it was fine. I took it very slow, in fact it took me longer to eat the egg as it did my friend to eat his entire plate of food.

Glad it worked for you!

On 11/29/2019 at 10:51 PM, Meadow76 said:

salad is one of last food my nutritionist says we should eat. I never order from regular menu anymore. At least at this stage which is 8 weeks out. I order from appetizers or sides. My dinners cost $10-$20. If really want to try something usually friends eating out with offer taste if it’s something I can eat.

No salad? Even 8-weeks post-op? Why is that? My nutritionist just said not to try it until 4 weeks at the earliest. Since about 6 weeks I've been fine with salad.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:20 AM, Meadow76 said:

You could eat solid food after only 2 weeks Of surgery? According to my plan I couldn’t try solid food week til 4. I’m 2+ mos out now. I still can only eat one egg. Had Breakfast out & ordered 1 poached egg. Had it on top of slice Tomato & Canadian bacon.

Programs seem to be realizing the VSG =/= the bypass in terms of restriction of foods. My program at MGH said:

Week 1: liquids

Week 2-3: Soft/puree

Week 4: Start adding in cooked vegetables

Week 6: You should be fine with raw vegetables

Week 8: You should be able to have a little bit of pretty much everything (except pasta), but we advise you still stay away from bread and rice for now.

Sounds similar to mine where couldn’t have solid food til week 4. That’s why I questioned week 2 having solid. hopefully all good for you & it’s working

so my company has catered break/lunch m-th. Tuesday and today are the only 2 days I am partaking. Today is taco day. I will have 1 oz black Beans and 1 oz chicken. I have my little measuring cups too. I cannot wait to get in line with those lol.

On Tuesday we had egg bar. So i had them make me a soft scrambled egg. Its about making healthy lifestyle choices.

Pre-sugery, on egg day, I would have 4 pcs of bacon and and toast and NO EGG lol. Pre-surgery on taco day I went crazy. Now I cannot go crazy and I want to stay a LOSER!

I find that it is a lot easier eating out than I thought it would be!