Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have had issues with getting enough energy after endurance sport (I'm a distance runner and a spinning instructor) because I'm not hungry after I run especially. And when I have weeks like this week with 4 spin sessions, 4 runs and a strength workout, I need to refule.

At the store today I discovered these. Now I'm sure in the future I can make them myself, but for now I'll try these.

It's dates and almonds and dates and coconut. That's it. Nothing more. So I figured I'd have 1-2 (2 is a portion) of these right after a run, and then a Protein Shake. This should be enough until I get hungry 1-2h after I run.

I know a lot of people are scared of carbs here, but I'm not. I eat 2500-3000 kcal a day, weight is stable, has been for the past 1.5, and I lots of carbs.

That works for me. I'm 2.5+ years post op.

photostudio_1573801894579.thumb.jpg.2a891a79b19b5d5146d6193c4d895b48.jpg

That looks great.

I am guessing with all the exericse you are getting you need the carbs and don't need to be wary of them in the same way some of us do.

15 minutes ago, Hop_Scotch said:

I am guessing with all the exericse you are getting you need the carbs and don't need to be wary of them in the same way some of us do.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to performa as I am if I didn't.

I do however reduce total calories, and naturally also carbs, when I'm not doing as much.

I have yet to taste them. I'll probably try after my spin class today.

@Meryline

Glad you found what helps you recover after a distance run. Have you tried RX bars?

51qkTEs2-TL.jpg

416M3tar95L.jpg

@Healthy_life2 I haven't. I need to figure out where I can get them in Austria.

My problem is that I have no hunger after a workout, and I can't make myself eat. And two of those dates balls rolls, what ever they are, will give me as much carbs as the whole bar. That bar will give me more calories, but it's about getting a lot, in a little, if that makes sense.

@Meryline

I’m a sleeve. It has been trial and error to find foods I can tolerate for carb load and race day. I’m always interested in what other runners are eating.

@Healthy_life2

So I drink elektrolytes in the days leading up to a race and druing. I only grab Water from fuel stations because I don't know what they'll serve or how my stomach will react.

It has been trial and error for what do use during a race. Up until now it's actually been sour Gummy candy that has worked the best. I start at about 30min in, and I'll have one every km. It'll probably have to change now as I'm try hard to cut the candy, but if I can't find anything else, I'll go back to it. Next race where I'll need to fuesl is in February, so I'll have time.

For me it's been and issue with fueling after. I can go up to 2 hours without wanting to eat. And when you have a workout later in the day or early next morning, you need to refuel shortly after the workout.

23 minutes ago, Meryline said:

@Healthy_life2

So I drink elektrolytes in the days leading up to a race and druing. I only grab Water from fuel stations because I don't know what they'll serve or how my stomach will react.

It has been trial and error for what do use during a race. Up until now it's actually been sour Gummy candy that has worked the best. I start at about 30min in, and I'll have one every km. It'll probably have to change now as I'm try hard to cut the candy, but if I can't find anything else, I'll go back to it. Next race where I'll need to fuesl is in February, so I'll have time.

For me it's been and issue with fueling after. I can go up to 2 hours without wanting to eat. And when you have a workout later in the day or early next morning, you need to refuel shortly after the workout.

I carb load/ tapper seven days pre-race to build glycogen stores. Race day, I add powdered carbs and electrolytes to my Water. My hydration vest has a bite straw that I can take small sips to the end of the race. (I can’t gulp water in the Styrofoam cups at aid stations)

What race are you doing in February?

I don't really carb load as I in general eat lots of carbs, but I make sure I hydrate well.

I don't do well with vests, so I use Nathan hydration belt. As for the cups, thankfully they don't use styroform here, so I can grab the top, clap it shut, and sip out little by little at one and, if that makes sense.

So my race plan for the next year is this so far.

December 8th I'll do a 10k.
December 31st I'll do a 5.3k during the day and maybe a 5k right after midnight. So we start with the fireworks.
January maybe a 7k or a 14k (It's a 7k round and you can do up to a full marathon)
February I fly to Florida and do the Fariytail challenge 10k and half marathon in Disney
March or April I'll do a half, trying for a new PB, under 2h.
May 3rd it's Wings for life
End of May it's the larges Womens race in Europe with 32000 ladies. Probably a 10k.
I have nothing so far in June-August
September I'm hoping to do the 36k challenge in Disneyland, Paris. 5k Friday night, 10k Saturday morning and half marathon on Sunday.

Oh, did I tell you I started running at the very end of February of this year, after recovering from back surgery.

What about you, anything planned?

I've read that the dumping syndrome goes away after a year or so. If you can eat those many carbs and they don't affect you, I'd say go for it! With your energy expenditure it sounds like you need them! WHOO, I got tired just reading what you do...😁

8 minutes ago, JRT Mom said:

I've read that the dumping syndrome goes away after a year or so. If you can eat those many carbs and they don't affect you, I'd say go for it! With your energy expenditure it sounds like you need them! WHOO, I got tired just reading what you do...😁

I actually never really got dumping from carbs. But give me a sugar/fat combination, and I still get dumping. Ice cream is the devil.

Hehe 😁

2 hours ago, Meryline said:

I don't really carb load as I in general eat lots of carbs, but I make sure I hydrate well.

I don't do well with vests, so I use Nathan hydration belt. As for the cups, thankfully they don't use styroform here, so I can grab the top, clap it shut, and sip out little by little at one and, if that makes sense.

So my race plan for the next year is this so far.

December 8th I'll do a 10k.
December 31st I'll do a 5.3k during the day and maybe a 5k right after midnight. So we start with the fireworks.
January maybe a 7k or a 14k (It's a 7k round and you can do up to a full marathon)
February I fly to Florida and do the Fariytail challenge 10k and half marathon in Disney
March or April I'll do a half, trying for a new PB, under 2h.
May 3rd it's Wings for life
End of May it's the larges Womens race in Europe with 32000 ladies. Probably a 10k.
I have nothing so far in June-August
September I'm hoping to do the 36k challenge in Disneyland, Paris. 5k Friday night, 10k Saturday morning and half marathon on Sunday.

Oh, did I tell you I started running at the very end of February of this year, after recovering from back surgery.

What about you, anything planned?

Wow, amazing full list. You are a bariatric bad ass. Update us on the runs when you have time.

My mother passed away from cancer in 2013 I had surgery in June 2014. My goal was to do a 5K in her memory. First 5k (turkey trot) in November 2014 . Race for the cure was on Mother’s Day. Emotional to cross the finish line. I went on to do 10, half and full marathons. Still amazed that I’m doing this in my 50’s.

I carb load for half and full marathons. My bariatric team had no clue how to fuel with a bariatric stomach. I hired a sports medicine dietician to help me dial things in. I learned many things from the other bari -athletes on this site. I love shalane Flanagan (Olympic runner) book. Eat slow run fast.

• I am doing race to Robbie creek half marathon. It’s an elevation mountain trail run.
  • Idaho wine run half or full. Beautiful vineyards and wine tasting after party.
  • I’m still deciding on charity runs for 2020.

23 hours ago, Healthy_life2 said:

Wow, amazing full list. You are a bariatric bad ass. Update us on the runs when you have time.

My mother passed away from cancer in 2013 I had surgery in June 2014. My goal was to do a 5K in her memory. First 5k (turkey trot) in November 2014 . Race for the cure was on Mother’s Day. Emotional to cross the finish line. I went on to do 10, half and full marathons. Still amazed that I’m doing this in my 50’s.

I carb load for half and full marathons. My bariatric team had no clue how to fuel with a bariatric stomach. I hired a sports medicine dietician to help me dial things in. I learned many things from the other bari -athletes on this site. I love shalane Flanagan (Olympic runner) book. Eat slow run fast.

• I am doing race to Robbie creek half marathon. It’s an elevation mountain trail run.
  • Idaho wine run half or full. Beautiful vineyards and wine tasting after party.
  • I’m still deciding on charity runs for 2020.

If anyone is a bad ass, it's you. I'm sorry to hear about about you.

I said I would do a full marathon, but I'm slowly changing my mind.

I'll come to you for advice when I get there

2 minutes ago, Meryline said:

If anyone is a bad ass, it's you. I'm sorry to hear about about you.

I said I would do a full marathon, but I'm slowly changing my mind.

I'll come to you for advice when I get there

Thanks,

Honestly, it took four years to do a full. I had to train for it. Many people on the site do endurance sports. I will look for a few links so you can get to know them. Others will learn from your experiences. Glad you are here.

It sounds like you need to get use to eating for your training. Just eat small amounts of super nutritious whole foods. I have the worse time digesting most Proteins but find a way with a plant based no soy no whey. Im an endurance ocr athlete. On race day i use honey stinger gummies and uncrustables.