Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

Had the Gastric Sleeve done on Monday morning 11/11/19 at NYU Medical Center in NY.

I’m super pleased to report that everything went extremely well and that I was really surprised with how manageable the discomfort has been post-op.

For those of you considering it and nervous about the pain and suffering after surgery, don’t let it be the reason you cancel of postpone. Go through with it and take your future health in your own hands.

My procedure was at 7:30 am on Monday. It lasted about 1.5 hours. During the surgery the doctor fixed a hiatal hernia and also took a biopsy of a small growth on my liver which thankfully turned out to be fine by pathology. Basically speaking, I ended up with 3 for 1 and honestly, had that liver thing shown up on a CT scan I would have wanted it biopsied anyway, so this was a blessing in disguise.

Immediately after surgery, I was taken to PACU and stayed there for about an hour or so to recover from the anesthesia. Zero nausea, pain or vomiting. In fact, before going up to my room they had me walk several laps, which I did without any difficulty.

In the room, the only issue I had was gas pressure (a sort of dull cramping feeling) on the left side of my stomach. Zero pain on the right side where the stomach pouch was stapled and removed. They had me up and around, walking and sitting in a chair for most of the day sipping ice chips and Water out of those little one oz plastic cups. Zero hunger, despite basically fasting for 48 hours before surgery and a liquid diet for the two weeks pre-op. They were ahead of all my pain and symptoms by giving me Zofran for nausea, Levsin for inflammation and 10mg of Roxy (Hydrocodone w/ tylenol). The monitored all vitals carefully, had me walk every few hours and made sure that I was peeing. The gas pressure persisted, but it eventually got better. Still had not passed gas.

The following day, the goal was for me to complete a drinking challenge, which consists of drinking 4 one ounce cups of liquid every hour for 4 consecutive hours (basically 16 oz of clear fluid). On the first try I got through the first three hours, but couldn’t complete the last hour so they had me wait. Ended up completing it later that evening, so they decided to keep me another night. Finally started to pass gas and even had a movement, so they discharged me today. Only real problem last night and in the morning was some reflux that they gave me Protonix and some Malox to counteract.

Moving around and walking is basically normal, but I’m being very careful not to bend down or lift anything heavier than 5-10 lbs.

When I got home I did feel a bit hungry, so with the Doctor’s clearance, I attempted small sips of Slim Fast Advanced High Protein. The first ounce went down good, but the second one caused a sharp pain which might have been my first experience with dumping syndrome due to the sugar alcohols in the Slim Fast.

Still experiencing some lingering reflux, slight nausea and a bit sore, but definitely progressing.

For those of you who are further along, what have your experiences been transitioning with liquids and diet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi All,

Had the Gastric Sleeve done on Monday morning 11/11/19 at NYU Medical Center in NY.

I’m super pleased to report that everything went extremely well and that I was really surprised with how manageable the discomfort has been post-op.

For those of you considering it and nervous about the pain and suffering after surgery, don’t let it be the reason you cancel of postpone. Go through with it and take your future health in your own hands.

My procedure was at 7:30 am on Monday. It lasted about 1.5 hours. During the surgery the doctor fixed a hiatal hernia and also took a biopsy of a small growth on my liver which thankfully turned out to be fine by pathology. Basically speaking, I ended up with 3 for 1 and honestly, had that liver thing shown up on a CT scan I would have wanted it biopsied anyway, so this was a blessing in disguise.

Immediately after surgery, I was taken to PACU and stayed there for about an hour or so to recover from the anesthesia. Zero nausea, pain or vomiting. In fact, before going up to my room they had me walk several laps, which I did without any difficulty.

In the room, the only issue I had was gas pressure (a sort of dull cramping feeling) on the left side of my stomach. Zero pain on the right side where the stomach pouch was stapled and removed. They had me up and around, walking and sitting in a chair for most of the day sipping ice chips and Water out of those little one oz plastic cups. Zero hunger, despite basically fasting for 48 hours before surgery and a liquid diet for the two weeks pre-op. They were ahead of all my pain and symptoms by giving me Zofran for nausea, Levsin for inflammation and 10mg of Roxy (Hydrocodone w/ tylenol). The monitored all vitals carefully, had me walk every few hours and made sure that I was peeing. The gas pressure persisted, but it eventually got better. Still had not passed gas.

The following day, the goal was for me to complete a drinking challenge, which consists of drinking 4 one ounce cups of liquid every hour for 4 consecutive hours (basically 16 oz of clear fluid). On the first try I got through the first three hours, but couldn’t complete the last hour so they had me wait. Ended up completing it later that evening, so they decided to keep me another night. Finally started to pass gas and even had a movement, so they discharged me today. Only real problem last night and in the morning was some reflux that they gave me Protonix and some Malox to counteract.

Moving around and walking is basically normal, but I’m being very careful not to bend down or lift anything heavier than 5-10 lbs.

When I got home I did feel a bit hungry, so with the Doctor’s clearance, I attempted small sips of Slim Fast Advanced High Protein. The first ounce went down good, but the second one caused a sharp pain which might have been my first experience with dumping syndrome due to the sugar alcohols in the Slim Fast.

Still experiencing some lingering reflux, slight nausea and a bit sore, but definitely progressing.

For those of you who are further along, what have your experiences been transitioning with liquids and diet? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
That's great to hear. Gets better each day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

22 minutes ago, InterceptorNYC said:

Hi All,

Omgoodness what a great post, you told us or me exactly what I wanted to hear the actual process of it all. I will be having Roux en y on Dec. 10th but from surgery hours to recover and to home you gave it all! Thank you for sharing!

On 11/13/2019 at 19:42, Unclechaz said:

That's great to hear. Gets better each day.

Did you have difficulty keeping liquids down comfortably when you got home?

On 11/13/2019 at 19:49, Quinnmedicinewoman52 said:

Omgoodness what a great post, you told us or me exactly what I wanted to hear the actual process of it all. I will be having Roux en y on Dec. 10th but from surgery hours to recover and to home you gave it all! Thank you for sharing!

Glad you found it helpful. Everyone is different, but if you follow the process and rules exactly, you should have good results. I lost approx 30lbs before the surgery since August and it apparently made the process easier for the doctor and my body. Stick with the program and you’ll be fine! Good luck!

Just now, InterceptorNYC said:

Glad you found it helpful. Everyone is different, but if you follow the process and rules exactly, you should have good results. I lost approx 30lbs before the surgery since August and it apparently made the process easier for the doctor and my body. Stick with the program and you’ll be fine! Good luck!

Awesome thank you again! Will let you know how things go!

1 hour ago, InterceptorNYC said:

Hi All,

Try Unjury or Premier Protein shakes. I like Unjury better though. I’m 2 weeks post op and quite tired of this clear liquid phase. Sigh...😔

Did you have difficulty keeping liquids down comfortably when you got home?
No. I have yet to vomit. I had difficulty getting in more than 25 ounces for the first few days.