Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein and Weight Loss (unrelated)

Morning all! Firstly - is 100 grams of Protein too much? I'm 3 weeks post-op and I notice that's about what I get in a day. Premier Protein shake (30g), yogurt (12g), Unjury Shake (21g), snack like beef stick or lunch meat rollup (10g) and something for dinner, usually around 20-30g. I feel like my nutritionist told me to stay around 60-70 and maybe up to 80 since I'm a guy otherwise I'd be risking kidney damage.

Secondly - my weight has been stair stepping. I'll get on the scale and be the EXACT same weight as the day before, down to the tenth of a pound. That will repeat for 2-4 days no matter what I do. Then I'll lose 2 pounds and that process will start over. I expected to be losing more than 2 pounds a week and it seems odd that I'm losing weight in chunks with no changes in between. I get my protein, obviously, and I get my Water - usually close to 96 oz of water alone not including any shakes.

that stair-stepping pattern to weight loss is pretty common.

re: Protein - most surgeons seem to recommend something in the 60-80 g range. I have to average 100 g a day or else my prealbumin level tanks, but I'm kind of an exception. I do know others without protein malabsorption issues who do consume about 100 g (or even more) a day, though.

I've read that taking in more protein than you need is more of a problem for people who already have existing kidney issues, and not so much for people who don't. I don't know what the general medical consensus on this is, though.

I'm 2.5 years post op and I about 130-150g of Protein a day. My protein levels are too low if I don't, and I still get tested about every 3 months. I do work out a lot though, 5-8 times a week with mostly endurance sport, which is why I need so much.

7 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

that stair-stepping pattern to weight loss is pretty common.

re: Protein - most surgeons seem to recommend something in the 60-80 g range. I have to average 100 g a day or else my prealbumin level tanks, but I'm kind of an exception. I do know others without Protein malabsorption issues who do consume about 100 g (or even more) a day, though.

I've read that taking in more protein than you need is more of a problem for people who already have existing kidney issues, and not so much for people who don't. I don't know what the general medical consensus on this is, though.

Great stuff here! My next post-op appointment with my nut and surgeon is SUPPOSED to be next week but they are super busy for Turkey Day so I have to wait 2 more weeks and see them on Dec 5th (ugh!!). That's when I was supposed to get approval for normal foods and exercise. They don't respond well to me just calling, takes forever to get back but I'll be sure to ask these questions when I see them.

You're a male, right?

To be 3 weeks PO and already eating things like beef sticks and Jerky are not optimal. That is very new from surgery. At that time, I was only on soft foods stage, which a beef stick is not.

I think if you're a dude, 100g is fine. Most are in a range from 80-100g per their docs.

There is not usually a HUGE problem with Protein malabsorption for RNYs and you had VSG, so even less issues. My surgeon said that the new bypasses don't have nearly as much malabsorption as previously believed...maybe 10%. But of course, there are outliers in all of us.

Some of your stair stepping might be aggravated by the salt content in your food (beef sticks).

But stairsteps are totes norm.

32 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You're a male, right?

To be 3 weeks PO and already eating things like beef sticks and Jerky are not optimal. That is very new from surgery. At that time, I was only on soft foods stage, which a beef stick is not.

I think if you're a dude, 100g is fine. Most are in a range from 80-100g per their docs.

There is not usually a HUGE problem with Protein malabsorption for RNYs and you had VSG, so even less issues. My surgeon said that the new bypasses don't have nearly as much malabsorption as previously believed...maybe 10%. But of course, there are outliers in all of us.

Some of your stair stepping might be aggravated by the salt content in your food (beef sticks).

But stairsteps are totes norm.

Yes, I am a guy. The beef sticks are quite soft, think slim jim, and not like Jerky at all. Yes, I am still on soft foods for another week.

I get what you're saying about sodium but I'm drinking more than enough to offset that.

Searching stair stepping weight loss and WLS only brought up lots of exercise articles lol.

Then I wouldn't say 100g is too much, but at 5'11" and your activity level you're probably closer to around 80-90g of Protein per day. And the slim jims still have a ton of fibrous stuff. It causes your gut to have to churn and grind and that's not good. Just my 2 cents. Do you.

Edited by FluffyChix

19 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Then I wouldn't say 100g is too much, but at 5'11" and your activity level you're probably closer to around 80-90g of Protein per day. And the slim jims still have a tiny of fibrous stuff. It causes your gut to have to churn and grind and that's not good. Just my 2 cents. Do you.

No, it's good feedback and I have plenty of other Snacks I can do!

Morning all! Firstly - is 100 grams of Protein too much? I'm 3 weeks post-op and I notice that's about what I get in a day. Premier Protein shake (30g), yogurt (12g), Unjury shake (21g), snack like beef stick or lunch meat rollup (10g) and something for dinner, usually around 20-30g. I feel like my nutritionist told me to stay around 60-70 and maybe up to 80 since I'm a guy otherwise I'd be risking kidney damage.
Secondly - my weight has been stair stepping. I'll get on the scale and be the EXACT same weight as the day before, down to the tenth of a pound. That will repeat for 2-4 days no matter what I do. Then I'll lose 2 pounds and that process will start over. I expected to be losing more than 2 pounds a week and it seems odd that I'm losing weight in chunks with no changes in between. I get my Protein, obviously, and I get my Water - usually close to 96 oz of Water alone not including any shakes.

My nutritionist recommends 68-70 grams a day for my weight ans and height

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I am certainly not an expert or anything but one thing I did not know. I eat the Oikos triple zero yogurt and was counting that towards my Protein count. (Instead of 2 shakes I had one shake and 2 yogurts). Here the nutritionist said 60 to 80 grams of liquid protein... I was pretty upset that was not clarified to me or maybe it was and i didn’t understand it all. Anyways that is what they want me to count it just the Liquid Protein for best weight loss and health. Maybe ask your nutritionist about that when you speak with him/her. Something about how it absorbs. Also your body can only absorb so much protein at one time so if you drink double Protein Shake it isn’t doing you any good. Just a lot of info and I myself am trying to figure it all out.

6 hours ago, Midnightsun said:

I am certainly not an expert or anything but one thing I did not know. I eat the Oikos triple zero yogurt and was counting that towards my Protein count. (Instead of 2 shakes I had one shake and 2 yogurts). Here the nutritionist said 60 to 80 grams of liquid protein... I was pretty upset that was not clarified to me or maybe it was and i didn’t understand it all. Anyways that is what they want me to count it just the Liquid Protein for best weight loss and health. Maybe ask your nutritionist about that when you speak with him/her. Something about how it absorbs. Also your body can only absorb so much Protein at one time so if you drink double Protein Shake it isn’t doing you any good. Just a lot of info and I myself am trying to figure it all out.

This is the first time I have ever heard anything like that. We were told from. One protein source. So we should count from fish or cheese or meat, tofu etc, but not count the protein that was in a none typical protein source. If you understand what I mean.

Also, you are suppose to get of the shakes st one point. Solid protein will keep you full for way longer than any shake will.

13 hours ago, Midnightsun said:

I am certainly not an expert or anything but one thing I did not know. I eat the Oikos triple zero yogurt and was counting that towards my Protein count. (Instead of 2 shakes I had one shake and 2 yogurts). Here the nutritionist said 60 to 80 grams of liquid protein... I was pretty upset that was not clarified to me or maybe it was and i didn’t understand it all. Anyways that is what they want me to count it just the Liquid Protein for best weight loss and health. Maybe ask your nutritionist about that when you speak with him/her. Something about how it absorbs. Also your body can only absorb so much Protein at one time so if you drink double Protein Shake it isn’t doing you any good. Just a lot of info and I myself am trying to figure it all out.

Well, she's certainly within rights to make arbitrary fantasy rules for her practice, but scientifically this is a load of hooey. LOL. ALLLLLLLL macronutrients are cumulative as is calorie load, glycemic load, incretin load, protein load, etc. So. You do what you think is best. But if you apply her screwy logic to your diet, you are gonna be working super hard to get all that protein down and you will likely be over eating = slow weight loss.

Protein Drinks + protein in food = total daily protein. Most of our docs say 60-80g for women and 80-100g for men (from all sources-animal, mineral, vegetable). LOL.

14 hours ago, Midnightsun said:

I agree with the others, I've never heard that before and it sounds absurd. I know they told us that whey protein isolate (which is in some of the protein shakes) is the best absorbed form of protein, so we should focus on those early out rather than shakes made from protein blends or whey concentrate, but they never told us not to count the protein in food.

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Well, she's certainly within rights to make arbitrary fantasy rules for her practice, but scientifically this is a load of hooey. LOL. ALLLLLLLL macronutrients are cumulative as is calorie load, glycemic load, incretin load, Protein load, etc. So. You do what you think is best. But if you apply her screwy logic to your diet, you are gonna be working super hard to get all that protein down and you will likely be over eating = slow weight loss.

Protein Drinks + protein in food = total daily protein. Most of our docs say 60-80g for women and 80-100g for men (from all sources-animal, mineral, vegetable). LOL.

Well FluffyChix, you really don’t need to be so ignorant and rude in your response. Are you a nutritionist? As I stated that is what I was told from my nutritionist. I also advised for them to talk with their nutritionist.

So I just got off the phone with my nutritionist and I was told to at this point to have at least 30 grams of liquid protein a day until I hit goal weight. Or replace a meal and have the 2 shakes. Earlier it was the 60 grams liquid protein. (I just hit 4 months).

I asked him what the difference was between the liquid protein and eating food. He stated it’s the liquid protein that drives weight loss. That the liquid protein hits the metabolism harder and is absorbed better. He went on to describe about the difference how food vs the liquid and how and what is actually absorbed. I really could not write that fast. Anyways, Yes, I am still to have liquid protein and there is scientific reasoning behind it.

I am not a doctor, not a nutritionist, I am doing what My Nutritionist AND Surgeon told me to do. I passed on this information so they can ask THEIR nutritionist about it.. not to take my advice. I think your know it all response and you wahoo you are right attitude is certainly not going to help anyone. It is wrong of you to make fun of someone’s response. You certainly think you know everything don’t you?

8 minutes ago, Midnightsun said:

Well FluffyChix, you really don’t need to be so ignorant and rude in your response. Are you a nutritionist? As I stated that is what I was told from my nutritionist. I also advised for them to talk with their nutritionist.

So I just got off the phone with my nutritionist and I was told to at this point to have at least 30 grams of Liquid Protein a day until I hit goal weight. Or replace a meal and have the 2 shakes. Earlier it was the 60 grams liquid Protein. (I just hit 4 months).

I asked him what the difference was between the liquid protein and eating food. He stated it’s the liquid protein that drives weight loss. That the liquid protein hits the metabolism harder and is absorbed better. He went on to describe about the difference how food vs the liquid and how and what is actually absorbed. I really could not write that fast. Anyways, Yes, I am still to have liquid protein and there is scientific reasoning behind it.

I am not a doctor, not a nutritionist, I am doing what My Nutritionist AND Surgeon told me to do. I passed on this information so they can ask THEIR nutritionist about it.. not to take my advice. I think your know it all response and you wahoo you are right attitude is certainly not going to help anyone. It is wrong of you to make fun of someone’s response. You certainly think you know everything don’t you?

in defense of Fluffy, she's a respected member of this site and a really good resource for us. It's just that what your nutritionist told you is wildy different than what the rest of us were told. It's....unusual advice. I've been hanging out on WLS forums for about five years, and this is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this.