Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein and Weight Loss (unrelated)

21 hours ago, Midnightsun said:

Hi, I went back and asked a completely different bariatric surgeon on why I am to have a Protein Shake a day until I meet goal weight and how/why/if the Liquid Protein is absorbed differently and faster than Protein from our food intake. He stated that because “the Liquid Protein is definitely absorbed better because the small surface area of the stomach” Since we eat so little in the beginning my surgeon \ nutritionist wants to make sure I get the proper nutrition as some of the solid foods isn’t easily absorbed. I hope this makes sense to people and maybe it can help someone.

I have psoriatic arthritis and almost lost my liver due to meds the Dr. put me on. I told him what was going on and he dismissed me. I have an excellent Primary dr. Called her my ast/alt numbers were 1800 and close to 2k. Should be less than I think 35-40. So I do verify information a dr. Gives me that I do not feel is correct.

I appreciate your response and I hope this information makes sense to others as I am satisfied with the answer coming from my surgeon, nutritionist , bariatric nurse, my unrelated primary care physician and a completely unrelated bariatric surgeon.

I have absolutely no problem if someone does not agree or thinks something is wrong or different\unusual. Just don’t dismiss the information / make fun of it and put others on the wrong track. Medical stuff changes everyday as they learn and drs have different opinions and approaches. That’s why I came onto this site to learn and see what others were doing. I just don’t like being trashed if you have a different experience or opinion.

anyways thanks for your post and again I hope it makes sense now.

Hey @Midnightsun - lol..every time I see your name I think of the time when I was a child and lived in Alaska for 6 years!

Thanks for sharing the additional input on liquid Protein and its absorption. I feel bad that you are having to deal with liver issues on top of everything else. Sounds like you may be well rid of that doctor that wasn't listening to you back then! So you are also a member of the 'trust, but verify' club. :)

I think it is interesting information that I personally am going to look into a bit more as that is literally my nature..I'm curious as the proverbial cat.

I think you are one of my July surgery siblings, right? So we are roughly about the same place in our journey? Hope you are getting in your protein in the way that works best for you with no issues. I've sadly started having some of my hair..literally come off in my hands which is making me a bit blue.

That is one reason why protein targets freak me out so much, or rather I should clarify..the thought of NOT HITTING my protein target freaks me out because of everything that starts to break down/fall apart if we don't get adequate protein. I do take some comfort in knowing I did everything that I HUMANLY COULD to try to prevent/or reduce the loss of hair. I hit my protein goals since surgery..about 98% of the time. I took the amount of Biotin and some other supplements recommended by 2 bariatric surgeons and supervised by my surgeon's team. I've taken my daily multivitamins....I have NOT been consistent on my Calcium.< /span>

So...am really nervous of the next 60 to 90 days..wondering how much more hair I'm going to lose. I have VERY thin hair and literally teared up last night looking @ the hair in my hands. It may be thin hair...not even really pretty hair..but it was MINE...am I making any sense? I noticed about 3 or 4 weeks ago my fingernails which had been GROWING OFF THE CHARTS suddenly became brittle and breaking again...so I knew in my heart my hair was probably next.

I hope things are going well for you and all of our other siblings! My weight loss is stalled but that is on me. I have not kept up with my Water and I've eaten at the high end of my calorie goal and multiple times I was NOT hungry so off to search for a therapist again.

54 minutes ago, KarenLR75 said:

Hey @Midnightsun - lol..every time I see your name I think of the time when I was a child and lived in Alaska for 6 years!

Thanks for sharing the additional input on liquid Protein and its absorption. I feel bad that you are having to deal with liver issues on top of everything else. Sounds like you may be well rid of that doctor that wasn't listening to you back then! So you are also a member of the 'trust, but verify' club. :)

I think it is interesting information that I personally am going to look into a bit more as that is literally my nature..I'm curious as the proverbial cat.

I think you are one of my July surgery siblings, right? So we are roughly about the same place in our journey? Hope you are getting in your Protein in the way that works best for you with no issues. I've sadly started having some of my hair..literally come off in my hands which is making me a bit blue.

That is one reason why protein targets freak me out so much, or rather I should clarify..the thought of NOT HITTING my protein target freaks me out because of everything that starts to break down/fall apart if we don't get adequate protein. I do take some comfort in knowing I did everything that I HUMANLY COULD to try to prevent/or reduce the loss of hair. I hit my protein goals since surgery..about 98% of the time. I took the amount of Biotin and some other supplements recommended by 2 bariatric surgeons and supervised by my surgeon's team. I've taken my daily multivitamins....I have NOT been consistent on my Calcium.< /span>

So...am really nervous of the next 60 to 90 days..wondering how much more hair I'm going to lose. I have VERY thin hair and literally teared up last night looking @ the hair in my hands. It may be thin hair...not even really pretty hair..but it was MINE...am I making any sense? I noticed about 3 or 4 weeks ago my fingernails which had been GROWING OFF THE CHARTS suddenly became brittle and breaking again...so I knew in my heart my hair was probably next.

I hope things are going well for you and all of our other siblings! My weight loss is stalled but that is on me. I have not kept up with my Water and I've eaten at the high end of my calorie goal and multiple times I was NOT hungry so off to search for a therapist again.

Hi, I would absolutely LOVE to see Alaska! All the wildlife. Yes I am a July sibling lol. July 8th, 2019. I am doing well. Went from start 203, surgery 198 to 166 today. I could... should be better.. I am 53, an do enjoy a little wine etc. I feel so much better. I have fine but a whole lot of hair. At 3.5 month I did have some come out more than I wanted. It appears it may have slowed down now at 4.5 months, I think me and my husband are the only ones to notice. I am going to cut my hair medium length in the next couple days as it isn’t as full. I started bariatric Vitamins months prior to surgery, I take the bariatric vitamins, Biotin, hair skin nails with vitamins, sublingual d3, sublingual b complex, collagen, msm, protein either shake or powder daily. It is frustrating. I guess it is normal to lose up toll 6 months. Hoping it doesn’t last that long. My nails are ruined from my psoriatic arthritis so I couldn’t tell you if that is affected.

the issue with my liver was 10 years ago when I was just diagnosed with my autoimmune disorders. That is why I try to double check everything from my doctors.

I made certain I hit my goals. It is confusing because some say you cam only absorb a certain amount at a time. I added Peanut Butter powder, collagen powder to my shakes etc. So all of that may have been a waste.

hope you Hair loss stops ASAP as it sucks. No other way to say it. Hope you are hitting all your goals!