Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking 95% of vitamins & supplements - nails suddenly brittle and breaking!

9 minutes ago, Briswife15 said:

Your nails are so pretty! Is dip your favorite? Are you worried about the UV exposure with the lamp when you do gel over them?

Thank you! :)

I like gel as well as I like dip, until they started breaking all the time! They both have pluses and minuses. But both are so much better than acrylic or silk I had done back in the day!

I do worry a little about UV exposure. I have considered getting those fingerless gloves to wear, but never have. I also rationalize that I don't have a lot of sun exposure in general, or any family risk factors for cancer, that I know of. I worry about it more for vanity because when I look at pics like I posted above I hate how old my hands look. :( But gel is so superior to regular polish, it would take a lot for me to go back.

I just got mine done yesterday. I have used the dip exclusively for about the past 2 years. My manicurist just buffs the surface with buffing cream and they stay shiny for 2 weeks. I keep them fairly short due to my job.

Image may contain: one or more people and closeup

Edited by MIZ60

Ah dang..I didn't even think about UV exposure. Got diagnosed last year via a huge mole on one arm that started growing wildly with Malignant Melanoma Stage 1 - didn't even know until then that there is a Stage 0 classification too which TOTALLY blows my mind...I mean like...whhhhyyyyy?

All that being said, I double down on sunscreen and other stuff now as the one thing I recall about melanoma is that it is a very very tricky cancer...

Edited by KarenLR75

23 minutes ago, KarenLR75 said:

Ah dang..I didn't even think about UV exposure. Got diagnosed last year via a huge mole on one arm that started growing wildly with Malignant Melanoma Stage 1 - didn't even know until then that there is a Stage 0 classification too which TOTALLY blows my mind...I mean like...whhhhyyyyy?

All that being said, I double down on sunscreen and other stuff now as the one thing I recall about melanoma is that it is a very very tricky cancer...

If you do the buffing cream like I do there is no need for the UV light. Melanoma is a nasty, nasty cancer.

3 hours ago, Briswife15 said:

The end result though, looks exactly like the old acrylic nails. Kinda thick.

I missed this earlier. I good manicurist will get them thin, nearly as thin as natural nails

24 minutes ago, MIZ60 said:

Melanoma is a nasty, nasty cancer.

YES! Just knowing I had it 'in me'....makes me fear there is more hiding somewhere. I have heard too many actual in person horror stories. I don't spend every day freaking out but I do not believe that it is 'all gone'....

If you just get regular dip powder you don't get UV exposure. I don't do my own nails, but the technician puts some kind of topcoat on and then they air dry.

These have been growing out for two weeks. I'll probably get them done at three weeks.

IMG_1442.jpg

On 11/11/2019 at 11:46, KarenLR75 said:

I have been on point with taking the following:

• Bariatric Multivitamin 1 x's a day

• Biotin supplement - found the recommended fairly high dose to take in either Dr. Weiner's videos or that other dr who is hysterically funny and several here follow him

• Have Celebrate's hair, skin and nails multivitamin (I alternate with the sublingual Biotin as I was worried about what happens if you take TOO much biotin)

• Eating at least 64 grams of Protein a day. Dr has me going as high as 80 - I usually end up between 64 and 80 day. Maybe 3 days in past 6 wks where I got less than 64 gms

My surgeons started me on the bariatric Vitamins when I was pre-op and doing the liquid diet. He knows I added the biotin/skin, hair, nails supplement at same time

I also started using Essie nail strengthener on my nails at the same time. My nails started growing so fast, just like when I was pregnant!!!

Fast forward to the past 3 weeks, I am about 4 months post-op and my nails are more brittle than I've ever seen them, they tear off so much that the nail beds are shorter than my fingers...they look like a kid's fingers who chewed all their nails off. The ONLY thing I have not been consistent about getting in is the calcium citrate 3 x's per day.

Could a Calcium deficiency be the reason for this SUDDEN and drastic change?

Most definitely u need Calcium too try n drink milk