Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello from Scotland

Hi everyone. I’m 4 days post op, home from hospital and venturing into this new world with a mixture of apprehension and excitement.

If anyone is wondering why I’ve chosen to join in the chat with people so far from home I honestly don’t have any one particular reason I lurked around a few sites and felt drawn to here primarily because it has a nice feeling; one of mutual respect, and a big dollop of honesty.

I feel like I’m in a bit of a surreal world right now as I mourn the loss of my best friend, food, and Celebrate the demise of my mortal enemy, food. Maybe demise isn’t the best terminology to use as I still face its ever present place in my life. For now I’m taking each day as it comes, and as it’s very early days I’m prepared not to take my emotional thoughts too seriously, assuming my judgement is fairly impaired at this time. If truth be told I hover between being “fine” and being pretty tearful. So far no regrets however, so I see that as a positive.

I was wondering how quickly I could start to take on some light to moderate exercise. I’d quite like to go for a gentle swim but not sure when would be appropriate. I don’t want to expose myself to infection, or find myself totally exhausted by the walk to my local swimming pool (about half a mile).

My second question is on people’s experiences of how long they needed to take off work. I’m automatically signed off for two weeks, but wondering if the realty is different.

Anyway hello again from me. Apologies in advance if any of my questions appear on the naive side 😊

Takes two full months for the Healing but you can get up and walk and move now - I would highly recemend moving and walking as much as you can - I was told not to swim for a month due to infection at cut points.

Enjoy the journey and get you head on straight

Famous first week line ------ Walk, Water, walk water sip water walk sip walk water sip walk water sip walk

The move you move the better the start you get -

F@#ck food - it damm near killed you! As for questions i would ask any - That is what this place is for, There are some guro's here and you will quickly see the level of knowledge is amazing.

Welcome to the forum, and the losers bench!

Welcome! I've found this site to be very friendly and supportive! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Welcome!! I'd hold off from swimming until your incisions are totally healed. You're wise to be concerned about infections - especially if it's a public pool!

There's a lot of info here & many helpful people.

BTW- I'm part Scot. Clan MacLachlan. I actually have "Scotland the Brave" as my ringtone. LOL!

Welcome! Welcome! I'm glad you stopped in. Check out the threads here to find all kinds of interesting, intriguing, and inspirational folks who, like you, wanted and needed to change their lives for the better. We may all be at different stages of our journeys, but we still have the journey in common. I look forward to getting to know you on the threads.

I was told to wait until all my surgical glue and scabs came off before swimming. That took about four weeks, as I recall.

Edited by catwoman7

And I had a Great- Granny from Edinburgh and a seem to have married into a branch of the Dundee Dunns, so you see you have distant cousins in America as well as Down Under- and we certainly all welcome You on Here! And if we can help, give moral support- You have but to Ask!😝Someday I WILL get MYSELF to the UK and walk the areas my ancestors came from and maybe feel the Wandering Child has returned🇺🇸to🇬🇧

Hi and welcome

You seem to have a great attitude and to be doing very well so far! Congratulations!!

Another with Scottish heritage, my father is from Edinburgh, came to Australia as a young man a wee while ago noo!

On November 11, 2019 at 8:02 AM, Diane-L said:

Hi everyone. I’m 4 days post op, home from hospital and venturing into this new world with a mixture of apprehension and excitement.

If anyone is wondering why I’ve chosen to join in the chat with people so far from home I honestly don’t have any one particular reason I lurked around a few sites and felt drawn to here primarily because it has a nice feeling; one of mutual respect, and a big dollop of honesty.

I feel like I’m in a bit of a surreal world right now as I mourn the loss of my best friend, food, and Celebrate the demise of my mortal enemy, food. Maybe demise isn’t the best terminology to use as I still face its ever present place in my life. For now I’m taking each day as it comes, and as it’s very early days I’m prepared not to take my emotional thoughts too seriously, assuming my judgement is fairly impaired at this time. If truth be told I hover between being “fine” and being pretty tearful. So far no regrets however, so I see that as a positive.

I was wondering how quickly I could start to take on some light to moderate exercise. I’d quite like to go for a gentle swim but not sure when would be appropriate. I don’t want to expose myself to infection, or find myself totally exhausted by the walk to my local swimming pool (about half a mile).

My second question is on people’s experiences of how long they needed to take off work. I’m automatically signed off for two weeks, but wondering if the realty is different.

Anyway hello again from me. Apologies in advance if any of my questions appear on the naive side 😊

Welcome! and thank you for your brutal honesty regarding relationship with food. I'm 9 days post-op and feel the same way. Taking one day at a time. This is a great site, lots of knowledge and encouragement. I find it incredibly helpful. Spent 14 days in your spectacular country 3 years ago. Hope to be able to do it again sometime in the future. The Highlands, Isle of Skye, Orkney, Edinbourgh---fabulous! Take care! Gloria