Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I cut the candy?

Hm, how to approach this

I had GBP in March 2017. I started at 255 lbs/ 116kg and got down to 148lbs/67kg at 1 year post op. I then gained a little the next few months and have been stable at around 156lbs/71kg for the past 1 year+.

I'm happy with where I'm at, I don't need to go down more, but I know I can. And the reason is this, and also where my problem is.

I eat too much candy. Way too much candy. Especally sour candy. I have tried to cut back and stop, but I just can't. I eat up towards 2500-3000 kcal a day.

But I also work out 5-8 times a week (1-2 days twice a day, 1 day a week is no workouts). I'm a spinning instructor 2 a week and I have been running 3 times a week up until now, last week I increased to 4 times a week. I have ran a couple of half marathons this fall, and I'm training for several for next year. I also lift weights a few times a week.

When I eat Protein heavy meal, I get so full so quickly, but I also get hungry again so quickly. And somehow candy has become my snack. I'm probaly not eating enough meals throughout the day, which is part of the problem, but I'm just kind of sick of food. I meal prep, portion out, try to get 150g of protein a day (protein values are always low when I blood test), I even still drink 1 shake a day, I drink plenty of fluids. I just seem to do better with eating a little all the time.

Anyone been like this? And how did you turn it around?

I know I shouldn't eat as much candy as I do, I'm not getting any nutrition from it, it's not helping my running, and I know I'm not going to be able to keep the weight off if I continue like this.

Trust me, I have tried the just don't, just stop etc. I need suggestions and advice on how to move forward.

Find something to replace it with. Eat a handful of nuts or some dried fruit. Make your own sugar free Jello snakes. Get strawberries and dip them in a tiny bit of chocolate.

You can make your own sugar free gummie bear candy out of sf Gelatin. And you can flavor it with essential oils, liquid stevia, and add citric acid to make them like sour patch. Then you start stepping down from the candy. But you will likely need to replace the cals with some other source cuz otherwise you will likely start losing again. Also, you can make Keto candy like fat bombs with healthy oils/fats + cacao powder, nut butters etc. They add up VERY quickly. But they are usually more satiating. SF Peanut Butter cups are the bomb.

You can also try getting delicious Protein Bars, cutting them in 8 pieces then freezing them. Pop them like a candy bite.

I think you're in a pretty special situation because of your super endurance exercise. I think @Healthy_life2 and @BigViffer could help you with this. They are both power athletes and have to eat in a method to keep their cals high enough for training.

Congrats on your losses. The candy is an addiction. Addiction to sugar is as powerful as heroine addiction. I'd also see your doc/RD and ask for help. They may have a temporary medication that can help you with cravings as you try to detox.

Perhaps you could start with sugar free or Fiber candy first then move to reducing how often you eat that. The question you'll need to answer is why you need the candy (what is it replacing?)

Good Luck 💙

Edited by GreenTealael

13 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Perhaps you could start with sugar free or Fiber candy ( first then move to reducing how often you eat that. The question you'll need to answer is why you need the candy (what is it replacing?)

Good Luck 💙

sugar free gives me a stomach ache. I have tried. Also, the options here in Austria are not the biggest.

I most definitely don't need them. I think it's convenience, boredom and texture. On top of addiction.

49 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

You can make your own sugar free gummie bear candy out of sf Gelatin. And you can flavor it with essential oils, liquid stevia, and add citric acid to make them like sour patch. Then you start stepping down from the candy. But you will likely need to replace the cals with some other source cuz otherwise you will likely start losing again. Also, you can make Keto candy like fat bombs with healthy oils/fats + cacao powder, nut butters etc. They add up VERY quickly. But they are usually more satiating. SF Peanut Butter cups are the bomb.

You can also try getting delicious Protein Bars, cutting them in 8 pieces then freezing them. Pop them like a candy bite.

I think you're in a pretty special situation because of your super endurance exercise. I think @Healthy_life2 and @BigViffer could help you with this. They are both power athletes and have to eat in a method to keep their cals high enough for training.

Congrats on your losses. The candy is an addiction. Addiction to sugar is as powerful as heroine addiction. I'd also see your doc/RD and ask for help. They may have a temporary medication that can help you with cravings as you try to detox.

I actually remember you from when I used to be here all the time. Always so helpful. Thank you!

I need to look into making something myself. SF is an issue. I need to work out what doesn't give me a stomach ache.

I'll take any advice I can get. I don't mind losing more, problem is, I start looking very dragged in the face. Time will tell what happens if I get rid of this candy addiction. Definitely need to sit down and plan out alternatives.

I think by actually posting about them here, I'm admitting to myself that it's an issue that needs to be dealt with.

2 minutes ago, Meryline said:

sugar free gives me a stomach ache. I have tried. Also, the options here in Austria are not the biggest.

I most definitely don't need them. I think it's convenience, boredom and texture. On top of addiction.

The stomach ache is the cramping from the sugar alcohols causing a stimulant laxative effect when you eat more than your body can handle.

Sugar is addictive. Can you find a lower sugar style candy that at least provides vitamins/minerals/probiotics so you will have to limit your intake. In the States there is this product

https://smartsweets.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAqqTuBRBAEiwA7B66hRdJyvSKmdcZ6Gg6FAZo-DjaRj6GI5utdXr8jPF9B2YkEspwrhn2-hoCDWgQAvD_BwE

Thanks. I'll look into that. Going to the states in February to run a 10k and a half marathon in Disney, so if I can't get it before then and I haven't kicked that addition yet, I'll have a look.

4 minutes ago, Meryline said:

Thanks. I'll look into that. Going to the states in February to run a 10k and a half marathon in Disney, so if I can't get it before then and I haven't kicked that addition yet, I'll have a look.

Good Luck!

And If you cannot find anything perhaps try eating real sour foods/fruit like lemon and lime slices

And I agree with @FluffyChix reach out to the other athletes, this sugar thing maybe your body asking for something else. They absolutely will know much much more 💙

7 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Good Luck!

And If you cannot find anything perhaps try eating real sour foods/fruit like lemon and lime slices

And I agree with @FluffyChix reach out to the other athletes, this sugar thing maybe your body asking for something else. They absolutely will know much much more 💙

Thank you, I should. I have a problem getting food into me after workouts. Normally you shouldn't go longer than 30min, but I can't eat that quick. Usually it takes 1-2 hours or longer. I'm trying to do smoothies to see if that helps. And here it's where I can take a few pieces of candy, and they are no problem. The idea of food though....no.

14 minutes ago, Meryline said:

And here it's where I can take a few pieces of candy, and they are no problem. The idea of food though....no.

That's where cutting a Protein Bar into 8 pieces and freezing them come in. Then instead of popping candy, you pop a bite size "candy bar" in your mouth! And you get nutrition and Protein in at the same time.

Liquid stevia doesn't usually cause laxative distress of pains. That's why making your own gummies from grass fed Gelatin and adding your own flavors and liquid stevia and citric acid might do the trick for you!!! You could also play around with adding Protein Powder to them. They are dead easy to make!! You can just pour it out into a tray, let them jel up then cut them into cubes. Very healthy!!

42 minutes ago, Meryline said:

think it's convenience, boredom and texture. On top of addiction.

When I read your original post, the thing that occurred to me is not hunger or calorie snacking, but rather an oral fixation. When you mentioned boredom, that pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. It's kind of like what smokers have issues with. The ritualized habit of it, not necessarily the chemical addiction.

Without trying to speak in entendres, you need to find something else to do with your mouth. Honestly, I'm not trying to sound pervy. Give this a shot - buy some cherries still on the stem. When you want candy, pop an entire cherry in your mouth and remove the pit with your teeth and tongue. Eat the flesh of the fruit and spit out the pit. Then try to tie the stem into a knot with just your teeth and tongue.

In the beginning it will take forever! But it gives you something to focus on, it's a sweet like a piece of candy, and it has nutritional benefits. Win all the way around.

39 minutes ago, BigViffer said:

When I read your original post, the thing that occurred to me is not hunger or calorie snacking, but rather an oral fixation. When you mentioned boredom, that pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. It's kind of like what smokers have issues with. The ritualized habit of it, not necessarily the chemical addiction.

Without trying to speak in entendres, you need to find something else to do with your mouth. Honestly, I'm not trying to sound pervy. Give this a shot - buy some cherries still on the stem. When you want candy, pop an entire cherry in your mouth and remove the pit with your teeth and tongue. Eat the flesh of the fruit and spit out the pit. Then try to tie the stem into a knot with just your teeth and tongue.

In the beginning it will take forever! But it gives you something to focus on, it's a sweet like a piece of candy, and it has nutritional benefits. Win all the way around.

OMG! Wow, thank you so much. I have never known about oral fixation, but it makes so much sense, and it explains so much, so much.

Here are some examples

I keep a cherry stone in my mouth for hours, playing with it.
When I cut of tags of new clothes, I'll put the plastic thing in my mouth and play with it for a long time
I chew on headphones cables

I put everything in my mouth. I don't suck on candy, chew it. I chew soft candy, hard candy. There has to be something going on other than sucking. (it sounds so pervy lol)

I most definitely need to find other solutions to this But just knowing there is a name for it, that it actually is something.

50 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

That's where cutting a Protein Bar into 8 pieces and freezing them come in. Then instead of popping candy, you pop a bite size "candy bar" in your mouth! And you get nutrition and Protein in at the same time.

I think I need to make my own. I have yet to find some that I really like. That way I can also get the texture that I want.