Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Tomorrow - Nov 11th - Advice?

Scheduled for gastric sleeve first thing tomorrow morning at NYU. Must say, I’m a bit nervous about the recovery process and not being able to eat/enjoy certain foods, but the alternative is decreasing health and things breaking down over time. Ballooned up to 311 (5’7) and decided it was finally time to fix it. Pre-op has gone well and I’m down to 280. Did think for a second that perhaps I could just continue with the pre-op process and avoid the surgery, but I know it’s not realistic.

Hoping that everything will go well so I can be on my feet and back to work for some travel I have scheduled in December.

Made a point of not telling a lot of people. Mom is super supportive, but my wife still seems a bit on the fence.

Any advice on what I can truly expect would be great!

Thanks!

You got this! I was back to work in 2 weeks. Just follow your Drs orders. I don't speak for everyone,but I was able to eat anything I wanted (in moderation) by week 3. Do not let some of the horror stories you see on here scare you. Listen to your body and surgeon. Stay hydrated and keep up your Protein and you will do fine.

I'm one week out tomorrow. The week has gone fast! My surgery was quick and nothing unexpected so far. Over night 1 night. I'm following my surgeons instructions to the T. Getting my Water down everyday so far and building on my Protein. Stay focused on you....I can't believe surgery is behind me. Looking forward to new chapter in life. Best of luck tomorrow. Check in and let us know how you're doing!

Gloria

I had my sleeve same day 11.11

On November 10, 2019 at 9:09 PM, InterceptorNYC said:

Thank you Gloria. Will do!

InterceptorNYC--- I hope your surgery is behind you and you're coming out of the fog. One day at a time. Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it! Take care!

G

On 11/15/2019 at 20:30, gwoodgm said:

InterceptorNYC--- I hope your surgery is behind you and you're coming out of the fog. One day at a time. Let us know how you're doing when you feel up to it! Take care!

G

Hi there! Thank you for the kind note. Doing really well. Quite honestly it was much better than I had prepared myself for. Pain was minimal, had some gas pressure and some reflux, but extremely manageable. It’s been four days and I’m still working to keep my fluids up. Haven’t been able to continue using Slim Fast Advanced due to dumping from the sugar alcohols. Premiere Protein Shakes have been the answer for me. Also, I’ve become a big fan of Gatorade Zero for fluids. Right now I’m up to two to three12oz bottles of Gatorade Zero and one bottle of the Premiere (30g of Protein). Need to get that doubled over the weekend.

On 11/15/2019 at 18:00, CindyLouWho01 said:

How are you doing Cindy?

3 hours ago, CindyLouWho01 said:

CindyLouWho hope you are turning the corner! You're only post-op a few days, but it's behind you! Shoot us a note when you feel up to it.

G

InterceptorNYC--I guess it's seek and find what works to get through these 2 weeks and get yourself a "system" everyday. I've had good luck with Unjury. Must order from their direct website. I ordered some ready to serve shakes, powders-- vanilla and chocolate and Protein chicken broth, along with unflavored protein to put in foods in the future when I have more options. No shipping with the quantity I ordered. I don't find it as sweet as Premier. I'm 10 days out and can't wait to change it up a bit. See my surgeon on Tuesday for 2 week check up.

On 11/10/2019 at 20:04, gwoodgm said:

I'm one week out tomorrow. The week has gone fast! My surgery was quick and nothing unexpected so far. Over night 1 night. I'm following my surgeons instructions to the T. Getting my Water down everyday so far and building on my Protein. Stay focused on you....I can't believe surgery is behind me. Looking forward to new chapter in life. Best of luck tomorrow. Check in and let us know how you're doing!

Gloria

Hi Gloria, how are you doing with getting in your daily Protein intake?

14 hours ago, InterceptorNYC said:

Hi Gloria, how are you doing with getting in your daily Protein intake?

Hi InterceptorNYC---initial first days (2-5) post-op my surgeon wanted me to focus on Water and then Protein. Post-op day 4 his nurse called to check in. I told her I was getting my 64 oz of water in--but not much more than 40 protein. She said to focus on water and if I could get 40 protein and advance it through the next few days not to worry. Keep in mind this is my Doc recommendation....others might be different. I was also taught that protein is a dehydrator like etoh. I wasn't aware of this! Thus the need for water. When Dr. was teaching me pre-op he used the empire state building as an analogy. The antennas at the top are the most important=water, next is the initial tower=protein, next is viewer landing=fiber, (benefiber etc) everything below i.e.: applesauce, yogurt etc etc ="sewer food". lol! It's been a great analogy for me to focus on. Post-op in the hospital I had a bottle of Isopure clear Protein Drink, it was grape flavored, zero carb. Comes in a clear 20 oz bottle and 40 gm protein. It was something different to mix it up a bit instead of shake after shake. I've also like the powdered Unjury with Fairlife milk. Not too sweet. Sorry to be so long winded! Just sharing whats worked/trial and error. See my surgeon this coming Tuesday and get to move forward in diet.

At this point I'm up to 60+ Protein a day.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:57 PM, Michael S said:

You got this! I was back to work in 2 weeks. Just follow your Drs orders. I don't speak for everyone,but I was able to eat anything I wanted (in moderation) by week 3. Do not let some of the horror stories you see on here scare you. Listen to your body and surgeon. Stay hydrated and keep up your Protein and you will do fine.

I totally agree my surgery was November 11 and im back to work yesterday and able to eat whatever I feel although I will only stick to the plan as I am not hungry just head hunger sometimes....youll be fine ..yes stay hydrated and proteined up