Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Tom. Morn. (11/11/19) - Advice?

Scheduled for gastric sleeve first thing tomorrow morning at NYU. Must say, I’m a bit nervous about the recovery process and not being able to eat/enjoy certain foods, but the alternative is decreasing health and things breaking down over time. Ballooned up to 311 (5’7) and decided it was finally time to fix it. Pre-op has gone well and I’m down to 280. Did think for a second that perhaps I could just continue with the pre-op process and avoid the surgery, but I know it’s not realistic.

Hoping that everything will go well so I can be on my feet and back to work for some travel I have scheduled in December.

Made a point of not telling a lot of people. Mom is super supportive, but my wife still seems a bit on the fence.

Any advice on what I can truly expect would be great!

Thanks!

Best wishes for a smooth surgery and a speedy recovery.

Advice - don't compare yourself with others. You may lose faster, you may lose slower. But we all run our own race and it's a marathon.

If you don't have a lot of support at home, come on here. The community is very friendly and supportive.

Thank you for the well-wishes and kind thoughts. We are a team unit here so I definitely have the support, but it is nice to have this Forum to lean on.

Scheduled for gastric sleeve first thing tomorrow morning at NYU. Must say, I’m a bit nervous about the recovery process and not being able to eat/enjoy certain foods, but the alternative is decreasing health and things breaking down over time. Ballooned up to 311 (5’7) and decided it was finally time to fix it. Pre-op has gone well and I’m down to 280. Did think for a second that perhaps I could just continue with the pre-op process and avoid the surgery, but I know it’s not realistic.

Hoping that everything will go well so I can be on my feet and back to work for some travel I have scheduled in December.

Made a point of not telling a lot of people. Mom is super supportive, but my wife still seems a bit on the fence.

Any advice on what I can truly expect would be great!

Thanks!
Hey. Another male sleever here (as of 11/4). I was really scared and anxious, but it went so much better than I thought. First few days are not the most fun, but I'm sure you're prepared for that. I'm day 6 and feeling so much better. Back to the office tomorrow. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Your wife might just be nervous about the whole thing and worried. Spouses of patients have come on the forum to ask about how to be supportive, and how to cope with the process. Fell free to tell your wife to lurk or log on and ask any questions she might have. Too bad we don't have a "Support Group" forum for spouses and family members who also need to have information.

1 minute ago, AZhiker said:

Your wife might just be nervous about the whole thing and worried. Spouses of patients have come on the forum to ask about how to be supportive, and how to cope with the process. Fell free to tell your wife to lurk or log on and ask any questions she might have. Too bad we don't have a "Support Group" forum for spouses and family members who also need to have information.

@Alex Brecher I think this is a great idea! What do you think?

1 minute ago, Orchids&Dragons said:

We had a "Family and Friends" forum for many many years but removed it a little while ago for non-usage 🤷‍♂️.

On 11/10/2019 at 18:24, Unclechaz said:

Hey. Another male sleever here (as of 11/4). I was really scared and anxious, but it went so much better than I thought. First few days are not the most fun, but I'm sure you're prepared for that. I'm day 6 and feeling so much better. Back to the office tomorrow. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you. Definitely helps hearing that!

On 11/10/2019 at 18:45, Orchids&Dragons said:

Love the idea of “lurking” lol

Thank you all for the encouragement! I really appreciate it.

Best wishes, while in the hospital blow in that blow thing to get lungs cleared. The first 2 weeks just sip on Protein Drinks. They will all taste horrible as you will immediately go into Ketosis and that makes everything taste bad. I just put a lot of ice in my Ensure plus and managed 3 a day. That will take all day. I also loved my Outshine pop cycles, no sugar added. I didn't add "full liquids" until the second week, that was cream of chicken Soup, but not much as I was still drinking 2 Ensure Max a day. Wasn't until week 3 on soft foods. I did a lot of tuna in pouches, some flavored. Add foods slowly. I also bought a set of stainless children utensils to eat with. They are small enough to make you eat slowly. I'm now 3 months out and I'm still eating with them and will probably continue to do so forever. Just be patient, recovery takes time and so does the weight loss. You will have a high periods and some lows, some great weight loss and some stalls. But you will be successful!