Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Itching at incision sites

I am nearly three weeks post op sleeve surgery. Getting my Proteins down nearly 50 pounds since start of liquid diet. I my abdomen itches especially around incision sites they are not infected. Using calamine to help. Any suggestions? The cause of it?

sometimes that's due to an allergic reaction to the surgical glue or tape, but this sounds like it might be too far out for that. Maybe just part of the healing process? I'm not sure. I'd call my clinic and see if they know.

Nerves in your skin get cut when they make the incisions. They are regrowing. (I'm sure there's a better medical term for this, but you get the idea)

1 hour ago, Hansel4pres said:

I am nearly three weeks post op sleeve surgery. Getting my Proteins down nearly 50 pounds since start of liquid diet. I my abdomen itches especially around incision sites they are not infected. Using calamine to help. Any suggestions? The cause of it?

It's more than likely the incision healing because mine did the same thing. Keep it lotioned and you should be good

Just spoke to Dr very common to happen. Told me take Benadryl or use Benadryl topical it will help.

OMG day 8 and I woke up with redness all around my incisions, I had trouble getting to sleep last night because of the insane itching. My Dr's nurse advised me to take benadryl and try cortisone cream and that they did not believe it was an infection at this time. The benadry knocked me out cold but did stop the itching but didn't make the redness go away. So when the Benadryl wore off I tried the cortisone cream. I can hardly stand this itching. The Benadryl works but knocks me out cold. I hope this passes soon!

Gastric RNY 1/27...This is exactly what I am going thru right now itching all over my body. I have broken out on my arms, legs, face, back and it’s nonstop itchy! I took benedryl and been through two tubes of cortisone 10. I just emailed my doctor told her we have to figure something out bc now I can’t sleep..I’ve been reading up on this and it’s stating it’s common due to allergic reaction to the surgical glue. I went and got some 100% aloe to help give little relief any suggestions? Do you think I should ask for prednisone bc I’ve seen others say that’s what’s helped with this same issue?? Anyone else out there with any suggestions??

2 hours ago, kswin79 said:

Gastric RNY 1/27...This is exactly what I am going thru right now itching all over my body. I have broken out on my arms, legs, face, back and it’s nonstop itchy! I took benedryl and been through two tubes of cortisone 10. I just emailed my doctor told her we have to figure something out bc now I can’t sleep..I’ve been reading up on this and it’s stating it’s common due to allergic reaction to the surgical glue. I went and got some 100% aloe to help give little relief any suggestions? Do you think I should ask for prednisone bc I’ve seen others say that’s what’s helped with this same issue?? Anyone else out there with any suggestions??

I didn't have this after RNY, but I did after plastic surgery. The surgeon put me on prednisone for a few days to suppress my allergic reaction. Your doctor may prescribe that as well..

They are acting like they don’t want to prescribe anything to help me in meantime I can’t even sleep and broke out all on my face, arms, legs and everywhere I’m miserable😩😩😩

Itching is common when skin is healing from surgeries. My skin itches after every surgery I have. Keep the wound sites clean. Assess for any other problems (rash, signs of infection, etc). If you do have another problem going on, see your doc. If it is just itching, use your favorite anti-itch remedy. If it is unbearable, talk to your doc.