Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Removal

Four days ago I had my Lap Band removed. It was put in 11 years ago. Because of a newer health condition and the medication I take now, the band could no longer be safely filled or released.

Lots of tears because I felt I had failed. At one point, I was 28 pounds from my goal weight. Then a truck hit me head-on, sidelining any further progress.

As I am healing, I am hoping this removal rids me of the problems we believe were being caused by the band.

Nausea, slight heartburn and reflux, gas and bloating etc...

Has anyone a similar experience to share. I feel isolated because we all know how hard it was to get the band. People around me dont realize what we went through.

Is your surgeon or doctor going to do a new surgery?

tons of people have had bands removed - hopefully a few of them will respond to this.

Four days ago I had my Lap Band removed. It was put in 11 years ago. Because of a newer health condition and the medication I take now, the band could no longer be safely filled or released.
Lots of tears because I felt I had failed. At one point, I was 28 pounds from my goal weight. Then a truck hit me head-on, sidelining any further progress.
As I am healing, I am hoping this removal rids me of the problems we believe were being caused by the band.
Nausea, slight heartburn and reflux, gas and bloating etc...
Has anyone a similar experience to share. I feel isolated because we all know how hard it was to get the band. People around me dont realize what we went through.

Hello Pita4404, you are not alone at all! I had my lapband for 7 years and words can't describe how liberated and relieved I felt when I had it removed this past may and revised to sleeve in August. The last few months were horrible and I didn't have a slip!
The bloating, the reflux, the plain discomfort of eating and slimming etc!!! I felt like I was in a life sentence! Especially when one pays for it out of pocket. You just feel like I bought this pain on myself and have to live with it...NO YOU DON'T! At one point it was no longer about weight loss, it was about survival. I can't believe how long I allowed the band to rule my life. All healthy foods didn't pass through and I had to subsist on unhealthy foods. You NEVER can predict what the band would allow on any given day!
Arghhh, just thinking about it makes me very sad, it was truly like an abusive relationship!

My life has been completely different since it's been out. I have control back. The sleeve is like a night/day difference. I can eat salads and fibers again. I feel so grateful being able to eat out without checking to see where the nearest restroom is. I feel healthy and "normal" again.

TAKE IT OUT!!! And Congratulations in advance to a whole new existence[emoji176][emoji176][emoji176][emoji176][emoji176]

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I just realized your band is already out!! Lol. Congratulations! No need to feel isolated. You are in a great many company 🧡

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my band out after 5 years of misery. Yes, I lost weight. I think I was about 25 pounds from goal when I sort of stalled out and stayed. But all that came at a price. Reflux. Bloating. I absolutely could not lay flat otherwise I'd get this pressure in my chest that no one could explain. I could never tolerate fills in my band. Finally, my band doctor said the only thing that would resolve my symptoms was to have it out. He offered to sleeve me at the same time, but I didn't know enough about the sleeve to have it done. So, I decided I'd go without. I was afraid but determined that I wouldn't let myself get to where I was when I was banded. I guess, in the end, I felt that the band had failed me to a degree and not the other way around.

When I had the band out, I IMMEDIATELY felt better. After 5 years of sleeping sitting up, I could finally rest. I had no reflux. I was surprised that I still had a sort of restriction and my portions were still rather small. That changed of course and I'm sleeved now, but I'm very happy I am where I am today.

1 hour ago, S@ssen@ch said:

I. I was surprised that I still had a sort of restriction and my portions were still rather small.

I got mine 10 years ago and it worked great-until it didn't. I was never able to eat meat without getting sick, so I just became a vegetarian, but I was OK with that and now I'm happy about it. But back in January I started to slime and vomit almost immediately after EVERY meal, so I had the fill removed and then only got sick about three times a week. But that respite only lasted about 2 months, then I was getting sick again, even after just drinking Water sometimes. They did barium swallows and it looked great-no slips, dilations-things of that sort-but still something was wrong. So I went back to the surgeon where he explained that if even if everything looked great on an x-ray, scar tissue develops where the band rubs the stomach, and that's what's causing the restrictions even with no fill in the band. And it was just a matter of time before it restricted so bad NOTHING would get through it without much difficulty. So it's coming out Nov 20 and being revised to an RNY during the same surgery, and I can't wait. I hope I'm not changing one problem for another, but I don't think so.

The plus of this is the transition should be easy since I've practiced the "eating rules" for 10 years and know the difference between "head hunger" and true hunger, and maybe finally I can eat without dreading it and wondering "would I get sick THIS meal". I know the portions will still be small, but if they go down without the sliming and "productive burping" and pain I'll be happy!

I’m currently starting the process to revise mine to bypass but in waiting room now for tests to see if slipped so may need removed as separate surgery. What is recovery from removal surgery? I’ve had mine since 2009 and feel similarly to all of you. I’m really ready to get this removed!

I had my lap band out in 2009. It was probably one of the easiest surgeries I'd ever had. Recovery was fast, maybe a day or 2. I think I did a liquid diet for a day or 2 then moved on to soft foods for a few days.

U did not fell....the lapband in my opinion was not the best choice and was not research properly by the FDA...alot of doctors dont do the lapband surgery...I removed my band last year and it was the best decision I've made so far...I was miserable..had meat stuck most of the times..was not happy at all...again this is my experience...all I can tell you is be strong keep going to the gym stay focus and be positive. Best of luck!

Happy New Year

I just had my lapband removed 2days post op.
glad to see that nightmare gone!
(banded in 08)

I was supposed to get a revision to gastric bypass but too much scar tissue said the surgeon... now I must wait patiently for the 3-5 month for the bypass...ugh! I was so prepared and bought so many items I would need..well guess I’ll heed it sometime in the not so far future...

I just remove my band because of acid reflux for almost three years. Question is, I still have acid reflux and when should I expect it to completely go away? I use anti acid when needed