Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Early Procedure Confusion

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. I am looking to having this surgery because I'm tired of dealing with my diabetes. I have no issue with my size for over the years I've grown to love my body. I enjoy walking (although sometimes I wonder whose idea it was for me to do so due to the distance), yoga, and pilates. I have been given the options of sleeve or gastric. My husband and my best friend are pushing for the sleeve. My husband and dad are hoping the presurgery months of prep will get rid of my diabetes before the time comes but given all that I've tried before I am skeptical. I do not eat much ink the first place since being told by my granny that I'm a nervous eater and actually realizing it myself, so I've been able to redirect when I feel like eating when I'm nervous. Thats all i have for now will update later. Oh im a full time working and mom of 3 (15,13, and 4).

I had gastric bypass and my diabetes was eliminated right away! Lots of other benefits, too! Good luck whichever procedure you choose. Welcome!

Sent from my SM-N960U using BariatricPal mobile app

I also had little problem with my size and am a heath at any size advocate. This essay by Roxane Gay made me feel a lot better about being a feminist and wanting WLS. I wrote to her after my surgery and got a nice note back. Good luck, whatever you choose. I had the sleeve a year ago.

bypass tends to be a bit more effective at resolving diabetes, but I know people with the sleeve who've had it resolve, too. Ask the surgeon - he/she should be able to advise you one way or the other.

I also had little problem with my size and am a heath at any size advocate. This essay by Roxane Gay made me feel a lot better about being a feminist and wanting WLS. I wrote to her after my surgery and got a nice note back. Good luck, whatever you choose. I had the sleeve a year ago.
Wow! That article is the bomb! She lays out the emotional side of WLS with such honesty. It really hits home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow! That article is the bomb! She lays out the emotional side of WLS with such honesty. It really hits home.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I agree!!! Thanks for the reco@JessLess!

Another factor for sleeve vs. bypass is acid reflux. If you already have it now, it will be worse after a sleeve. About 30% of people who have NEVER had reflux develop it after a sleeve. Since I've had it for years it made it easier to choose the bypass.

Another factor for sleeve vs. bypass is acid reflux. If you already have it now, it will be worse after a sleeve. About 30% of people who have NEVER had reflux develop it after a sleeve. Since I've had it for years it made it easier to choose the bypass.

Ok this adds to my leaning toward gastric vs sleeve because I do have reflux intermittently (worse during pregnancy) my surgeon asked about this as well. It has something to do with my nervousness I believe and definitely do not want to increase that.

Sent from my SM-J737A using BariatricPal mobile app

bypass tends to be a bit more effective at resolving diabetes, but I know people with the sleeve who've had it resolve, too. Ask the surgeon - he/she should be able to advise you one way or the other.
My doctor is food gastric but he also told me that due to my age the sleeve is an option so as if I need to have another procedure done after 50 I have somewhere to go.

This was a good article thanks for the recommendation. It covers a lot of the real emotions around weight that I had before college before I realized nobody had to be happy with my weight but me. This led to me looking at myself and realizing how beautiful I am and accepting myself. Yes I do get frustrated about clothing at times (big women don't need flowers on everything lol) but I learned ignore it all and confront the negativity. As long as I'm comfortable in what I have on (unless one wants to buy clothes for me there's nothing to be said, and yes I do offer to let people buy my clothes if they don't like what I have on).
Thank you for the suggestion and congrats.

I had gastric bypass and my diabetes was eliminated right away! Lots of other benefits, too! Good luck whichever procedure you choose. Welcome!

Thank you and that's what my doc suggested. Trying to figure out how to express to my hubby and bestie why I'm learning that way. I think my husband knows because I'm a attack head on type.

My doctor is for gastric but he also told me that due to my age the sleeve is an option so as if I need to have another procedure done after 50 I have somewhere to go.