Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single Incision Scars vs. Multi-port Scars from Surgery

3 minutes ago, LAXGirl said:

Thanks for sharing! I have the exact same skin type so I think I'll have similar results.

No problem! 4 of my original scars. Were 1/3" in if not smaller not raised faded enough to not care, largest was about 1" slightly raised still dark... Still don't care enough to do much about it❤

They are strategically placed for surgical need not random connect the dots. So you'll have some flexibility and coverage potential

Pick the better surgeon

Good Luck 💙

Much rather 5x 1 inch scars over a massive long one..

15 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

I scar 2x darker than my normal skin tone (Fitzpatrick IV skin scarring to a VI)

As everyone said (and it's going to be hard to get just now) you *may* care less and less about the small stuff like 5-6 tiny scars.

What you *may* really begin to care about down the line of research is how proficient or skilled your surgeon is at any surgery done to have the best possible post surgical outcomes (that is within your control)

Or you *may* still care...

My bikini pics are in my gallery with all of my unfaded scars for the world to behold and Zero ***** given 😍

Couldn't agree more. I actually didn't feel super comfortable with my surgeon (mostly because I had no direct contact with him before the day of the surgery, and the surgeon actually switched a few days before). If you feel confident in the hands of your surgeon I think that's a good and even strong sign. There will be so many strange feelings and mysterious symptoms that come throughout the various stages of recovery, and you will want to have full confidence in your surgery experience when encountering them.

And like @GreenTealael already said, surgery might give you a perspective that makes you not sweat the small stuff. I just went on my first vacation since surgery (10 months and 100 lbs ago) and what I noticed is that 1.) no one cared what I looked like or even really noticed me at all and 2.) everyone else is also a little loose/saggy/scarred themselves.

Hope this helps your decision making.

My sleeve was a single incision through my belly button. I don't have a scar. My belly button looks the same. This picture is unedited and unfiltered.

IMG_1441.jpg

Edited by JessLess

I think you should get a second option because your doctor is not being very honest with you, IMHO.

11 minutes ago, JessLess said:

My sleeve was a single incision through my belly button. I don't have a scar. My belly button looks the same. This picture is unedited and unfiltered.

IMG_1441.jpg

Wow! Man, I should have got this. Can't even tell there is anything there...

My understanding from my surgeon is it works best on people with a relatively low BMI. She cited 35. Mine was 40 so I asked her to try and said I would not be upset if it didn't work out. She's really outstanding.

I had never even heard of single incision laparoscopic vsg. I was a BMI 35 and was never discussed.

How do they get the camera in? All of those holes have a purpose. Lol

Time to google...

FWIW. I have had a few laparoscopic surgeries and scars heal so well that most are hard to find after awhile. However, if you are one to scar you might have a different result.

I couldn’t imagine being bikini worthy without a TT anyway so idc if I’m scarred on the belly.

15 hours ago, JessLess said:

My understanding from my surgeon is it works best on people with a relatively low BMI. She cited 35. Mine was 40 so I asked her to try and said I would not be upset if it didn't work out. She's really outstanding.

Thanks so much for sharing!

20 hours ago, pssk said:

I had never even heard of single incision laparoscopic vsg. I was a BMI 35 and was never discussed.

How do they get the camera in? All of those holes have a purpose. Lol

Time to google...

5 incisions, one for the surgeon's right hand instrument, one for his left. One for the camera, one for an instrument to hold the liver out of the way and lastly, the one to remove the piece of your stomach.

There are videos of the actual surgery on YouTube -- not for the squeamish!

On 11/10/2019 at 08:21, NancyLF said:

5 incisions, one for the surgeon's right hand instrument, one for his left. One for the camera, one for an instrument to hold the liver out of the way and lastly, the one to remove the piece of your stomach.

There are videos of the actual surgery on YouTube -- not for the squeamish!

I have the 5 incisions. I was asking about the one described above where they go in with only one incision. I can’t understand how all the instruments you describe that normally go into five incisions go into only one.

as a nurse and a patient I don't even think your going to find a surgeon that will do an open incision vs laproscopic. The risk of infection and healing are going to be much higher with a single open incision. your going to be happy with the effects from the surgery that 5 tiny barely noticable scars are not going to be a problem.

7 hours ago, pssk said:

I have the 5 incisions. I was asking about the one described above where they go in with only one incision. I can’t understand how all the instruments you describe that normally go into five incisions go into only one.

It's laparoscopic. You can see videos on YouTube. The opening they made is inside my (innie) belly button so I can't see the scar.

I wanted to say I think the 5 scars look fine, are hardly visible, and I had planned to go that route myself. But my surgeon mentioned this option and is fantastic so I wanted to try it.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:25 PM, LAXGirl said:

So after doing lots of research I believe I found a great doctor to do my VSG. Only problem is that he doesn't do single incision surgery. When I asked him about it, he stated the scars are tiny- and with single sleeve incisions you have one big scar at the belly button vs. 5 small ones so it's better to have the 5 small ones. The thing is that I have dark skin so I'm pretty sure I will have these scars for life and they won't fade well. I would really love to show off my body in a bikini after surgery but I'm thinking I won't want to with the scars. So I'm thinking about find a new surgeon who does a single incision-which I'm not happy about as I really like my surgeon. So my questions for you all are:

1) For those that got the single incision- do you really have "one giant scar" on your belly button- or is is not even noticeable?

2) For those that did the traditional multi-port- do you feel they are noticeable if you are in a swimsuit that shows off your stomach?

If anyone has photos they can share like 2+ years out that would be great. When I see photos from a year or less, especially for multi-port it scares me because they are definitely noticeable.

-Rachel

I had the sleeve done 3 months ago the scars are almost gone, and totally gone from my band removal a year ago. Laparoscopic is the way to go as there is no pain. So far I've had the band in, a band out, a hysterectomy and a sleeve. No marks, and no I wouldn't wear a bikini but husband would notice.