Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve failure??

How does the Sleeve fail?

I had the band from 2009 till 2017. She slipped after a bad case of flu/stomach bug. The only unfill i had was when i had my TT. I was back at 10.5cc in her when she slipped. Till then i had zero problems. SW 232, removal weight 143.

After much research and searching, i found a dr here where i live to do a revision (2.5 years later & 30lbs). I revised to the sleeve. I see people on here saying that the sleeve failed. How does that happen???? I mean i know how the band can fail..... erosion, slip, removing all the fill and going back to old habits. But how when its something that's permanent?

Chris

Good question and I'm following this as well as a recent sleeve patient!

1 hour ago, BayougirlMrsS said:

How does the Sleeve fail?

I had the band from 2009 till 2017. She slipped after a bad case of flu/stomach bug. The only unfill i had was when i had my TT. I was back at 10.5cc in her when she slipped. Till then i had zero problems. SW 232, removal weight 143.

After much research and searching, i found a dr here where i live to do a revision (2.5 years later & 30lbs). I revised to the sleeve. I see people on here saying that the sleeve failed. How does that happen???? I mean i know how the band can fail..... erosion, slip, removing all the fill and going back to old habits. But how when its something that's permanent?

Chris

The sleeve doesn’t fail. It’s mechanical.

The surgery is a tool, nothing more. If you still eat like crap, the sleeve will fail. If you snack all day long on calorie dense food, the sleeve will fail. If you drink caloric drinks, the sleeve will fail.

Edit: Just to clarify, if you're talking about "stretching" your sleeve will never stretch more than 10-15% from the size that it was surgically changed to. There is a lot of research to back this up. So if someone tells you they stretched their sleeve back out, and thats how they gained the weight, they're not being truthful with you in all likelihood.

Edited by VSGDavid

20 minutes ago, VSGDavid said:

The sleeve doesn’t fail. It’s mechanical.

The surgery is a tool, nothing more. If you still eat like crap, the sleeve will fail. If you snack all day long on calorie dense food, the sleeve will fail. If you drink caloric drinks, the sleeve will fail.

Edit: Just to clarify, if you're talking about "stretching" your sleeve will never stretch more than 10-15% from the size that it was surgically changed to. There is a lot of research to back this up. So if someone tells you they stretched their sleeve back out, and thats how they gained the weight, they're not being truthful with you in all likelihood.

This is good and I hope it's all true!

I see people saying that their "sleeve" failed and i was just wondering how that happens. I appreciate what you said. I figured as much, but seeing as though im new to the sleeve (x-bandmember) i wanted to see if there was other reasons.

I've had two friends regain after the sleeve. I see how they eat and i figured it was those very reasons. And i didn't want to be that friend that say..... Should you be eating that?

I loved my band and wish i still had her, but i had a good long haul with her..... 7+ years.

Thanks,

Chris

Completely agree with everything that's been said. It's all about sticking to your plan. You've done the band so you've made the lifestyle change. Just keep it up and you'll be fine :-)

Not a failure, so to speak, but you can get terrible reflux* or hernia.

*One study shows 20% to 31% incidence of post-op new reflux https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23238373

*Another says only 1.1% need something other than PPIs to deal with the reflux https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19949885

I added this to the" revision... omg" page but ill add it here too

This is from a surgeon's perspective not mine.

The sleeve is not for everyone. Some people did not have the correct surgery for their needs.

(My perspective: The may have needed extreme malabsorption along with restriction because the lifestyle changes just could not last. And what to you say to people like that? Just try harder, knowing they cannot? Thats cruel. Give them better tools to do the job.)

Sleeve was originally part 1 of 2 of the Switch (DS) but it worked so well some people never needed to have part 2. Then insurance companies allowed it to be billed as a stand alone procedure. But that didnt mean everyone should have stopped at part 1, some people needed to go forward with part 2.

When regain happens (Goodbye honeymoon phase) its seen as their fault instead of noncompletion of the process. Shame and guilt adds fuel to the fire and getting insurance companies to cover the "revision" without a complication is an epic battle.

Also structurally (VSG or any WLS) is not infallible. Many things can go wrong immediately or even years down the line.

*Disclaimer not pointing any fingers at anyone or this thread at all but perhaps the caste system the entire WLS community has created?*

IMHO I think its easy and possibly careless to forget that we all (here) needed some level of intervention from WLS after we are successful. It becomes problematic to believe if do everything absolutely correctly (maybe even the first time) some cosmic merit/lottery/award will be paid out for all of our hard work.

And those that need more help are getting off easy. Not everyone will lose or maintain 100 % excess weight let alone 65% & the surgeons will tell us this but we ignore it constantly. Sometimes it just doesn't work like in the books no matter what/who's at fault

I have learned to mind my business big time because if someone goes through hell and back, the doctors & insurance companies open the pearly gates then they must have their reasons.

Apologies for the length

Edited by GreenTealael

I guess the surgeon may have not made the sleeve the correct size. I would save after having the sleeve 4 months ago it would be what you eat and drink. With the sleeve you can physically eat anything so if you make bad choices and eat often you can gain. It only restricts how much you eat in one sitting so you could still eat many times a day or be eating all slider foods like ice creams and puddings anything that will keep going through and gain. I would say it’s all about choices.