Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I HATE I GOT THIS STUPID SURGERY!

On 11/9/2019 at 7:16 PM, MariahS0105 said:

greek yogurt.

oh my gosh..my vision is so blurry..thought you said "geek yogurt"..must be tired or way under calories as I found that hysterical..lol..

@theexfatgirl - I think you may have already mentioned trying the unflavored Protein Powder? I apologize if you stated you had already tried it and it didn't work out.

I put the unflavored Protein powder into my Jello and mixed it up (I was allowed jello, broth, sugar free popsicles, and the Protein Drinks or Protein Shakes I made myself. I have a bit of a lactose intolerance so was not able to make shakes with milk but I sure wish I could have!

I added unflavored protein powder to my broth. I bought a variety box of protein Soups from bariatric pal and in my 2nd week, I tried some of those. The one I thought would be the worst for my stomach, cream of Tomato, my pouch actually liked but I figure I was just lucky. Also, I have a gastric bypass instead of a sleeve so I have no idea if that made ANY difference at all in being able to tolerate it.

I think you said the protein drinks you tried were making your tummy hurt? I was just wondering about this as I have a LOT..and I mean a LOT of abdominal/intestinal cramping in general..and when added to the gas issues..I felt like my stomach..or what I 'used to call my stomach' was hurting so often!

I don't know if it was because of my new 'anatomy' and plumbing, but I was given meds to help with this..cramping, spasms..and they seemed worse after drinking protein drinks (again, apologies for not knowing if it applies to both the sleeve and gastric bypass peeps) but I somehow managed to get them down...thinning them out helped a bit.

I remember on Day 3 being VERY VERY DISMAYED and a bit angry that my hunger returned. Oh, I knew this was a chance BUT I was very envious of those who went months and even some...YEARS without feeling the return of hunger.

I know some posters have mentioned trying to see if different temperatures help with your tummy issues. I found that oddly for me, warm things made my pouch MUCH happier than cold (and of course most protein drinks we drink are 'cold', well the pre-made ones I mean). I also used a heating pad for my abdominal area.

Be KIND to yourself. You just had major surgery and your whole body is reeling from the impact as well as the anesthesia. This definitely made me grouchy..not saying it made you grouchy..LOL, just saying how I felt about it. I also had a hard time on my sibling thread although I was generally truly THRILLED for my surgery siblings....I am a slow loser and while I only had a few minor complications, I soon realized that a lot of what I was feeling was simply due to 1) Major Surgery 2) MAJOR MAJOR hormonal swings that I was warned about...3) Feeling in pain/uncomfortable 4) Wondering even with THREE years of preparing on a handful of days..if I had done the right thing. I was on liquids for over 45 days straight so I was VERY VERY frustrated with this.

That being said, I only stayed down and frustrated for a few days. Don't get me wrong, I still get a bit down and frustrated but I am able to quickly step out of those feelings now that I'm over 3 months post-op. My surgeon and nutritionist were very encouraging when I was tripping out about not hitting protein goals..they told me to do the BEST I COULD in the first few weeks.

I hope one of the suggestions or many of the suggestions are able to be of help to you..and of comfort. I will say my mood did a drastic pick up in weeks 3 and 4....and before I was even 1 month post-op, I was back in my secure feeling of knowing I did the right thing. For others it may take longer, but my fervent hope and wish for you is that you are able to find something soon you can handle to drink/eat and that the beautiful part of your journey starts (we often don't even know it has started until we look back in hindsight).

Best wishes to you!! You CAN do this!!

Oh please don't give up! You will start to feel better try learning some mindful meditation,I am 10 mos post op I haven't had any major issues or depression, but I know a lot of people do, please reach out, stay positive, and keep your eye on the prize! You are getting healthier everyday!

I come back to this post often to see your updates. Thinking of you! You got this!

With time THINGS do get better and somethings YOU just learn acceptance, it's a tough TIME, a rough TIME, my journey had twists, turns, potential quicksand, and I Fought Hard, so Hard, to be where I am Now (14.5 months out) it WAS NOT like the pamphlets said- Still isn't- not sunshine, roses and Bluebirds SINGING, mine had prickly caucuses and a vulture or 2 in the stunted tree over THERE, but I Am Not Lying down and letting Him have at ME- like Reba Mc Entire I AM A SURVIVOR- too redheaded, cussed spunky to Concede- I instead will Succeed- maybe because I know No Other Way! Hang Tough my sister- might not be all its Billed For- but Still it Is Yours and My Life.😝👍🚩😏

And I meant 🌵 not caucuses although maybe somewhere I might be the Peoples Choice for something!

@theexfatgirl The first 3 months I used this product about 1 time a day. It is super sweet, some people dilute it, I just sucked it out of the bag. Orange was the only flavor I could tolerate. I kind of grew to like it. It’s like eating/drinking a melted popsicle.

Liquacel

It’s a small amount in each packet for 16 grams of Protein.

Edited by Cheeseburgh

Wow I’m sorry to hear you are going through a rough spot! Please know this though, It will get better eventually! I gad some rough spots too so I know you can do this! I’m a year out now and even with the rough spots would NEVER go back. What saved me was the no taste Protein Powder that I could add to broth, juice, Water whatever I wanted. There are a few out there but I used one called GENEPRO that you buy at GNC stores. It’s a smaller scoop and dissolved really good into anything. I remember struggling to get in enough liquids and this stuff saved me. I usually don’t post much anymore since I’m doing good now, but your post touched me because your having a rough time like I did. Good luck and keep thinking about where you will be in one short year 😀

Good to See. 👀You Again @ Icebarbie, think I remember you from " back in the day" BEFORE. You did give ME hope I wasn't alone in the Battle when mine started veering around!

Hoping you are healing. Perhaps freezing some Isopure into pops. Surgery always gets me down Think it is General Anastasia. Best to you.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:42 AM, theexfatgirl said:

Thanks for replying. Can I ask what did you did in place of Protein Shakes?

I tried hard for the first week to just drink Water. Second week I just ate yogurt for Protein. I was so stressed about it and finally said forget it. I was still breathing and Alive and that’s all that mattered in the beginning. Lol. I just ate what worked for my tummy and stopped stressing so much early on. You’ll get your protein in due time.

Edited by JMA2019

On 11/07/2019 at 18:53, theexfatgirl said:

I am 8 days post op and I’m over it!!! I haven’t been getting in my Protein. I am craving food and can’t eat crap. For all of this I would rather stay fat!

It’s called “buyers remorse” I watched my daughter go through it for about a month or so...it goes away...

You can do it! sounds like You are emotionally grieving right now hardcore. Keep your eye on the prize do your liquid first don't freak on the Protein part yet. Outshine no sugar added popsicles r wonderful very tasty, and count as liquid. Contact your bariatric team for some support. Try learning meditation and try listening to DR. Duc Voung or BJ FOGG, both are great. You will feel amazing soon!