Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I’m 5weeks 2 days post op(October 1st). I had the Gastric Sleeve done. My weight before was 246lbs and 238lbs on day of surgery. I currently weigh 206lbs so that’s -40lbs down. I lost about 21lbs on my first 3 weeks. I followed everything I was told, all the instructions to the letter. I had my 3rd week stall but I still lost a bit of weight starting on the 4th week. I guess it was because I was slowly starting to introduce soft foods which meant I was eating more calories than before. Now I’m introducing regular soft food and meats one at a time. How much are you supposed to eat at 5weeks post op? My diet says 6 1/2cup meals a day. 3 meals and 3 Snacks. 2 Meals should be my Protein Shake. I find this a lot for me. I can barely finish 1/2 cup especially if it’s regular food consisting of Protein and cooked veggies. After a couple of bites I start burping....the type that every burp results with ‘mucus saliva with a bit of the food I ate’. What sign is this? I thought it meant I’m full and ate more than I should have. But sometimes it happens after like 5 bites. Is it that my bites are too big? Or am I not chewing enough? Is it a sign that my body doesn’t like that type of food? I mean sometimes I may take another bite before the 30seconds to the next bite. Some of these foods do have a bit carbs like whole grain Pasta or brown rice...could that be the reason? I’ve noticed I do that when I eat something I don’t like but if that’s the case I will throw up and ‘dry vomit’ saliva and spots of food. It’s usually worse. What are the signs that I’m full? I feel like my 6 meals are too much. I’m never hungry when it tome to eat yet get hungry in between. This all started after I started to introduce regular food at the start of the 5th week. Insights on this would really helpful.

@BrieLouie

Just because your "plan" says you should be eating 1/2 cup, doesn't necessarily mean you CAN or you WILL. You're only 5 weeks out from surgery. You likely still have some healing and post-operative swelling. Listen to your body! It sounds like it's telling you something.

Regarding the burping and mucous saliva, it could be any of those things you mention. Slow down. Take small bites. Chew VERY well. Introduce new foods one at a time. Stop as soon as you start feeling any kind of rejection from your body, even if you haven't eaten your 1/2 cup. Learn to heed the signals your body tells you.

At 5 weeks out, I was still relying on a Protein Shake quite often. Also, why are you eating Pasta or brown rice at this point? My worst foamy experience was because I ate rice too early in my recovery. It was painful, embarrassing (I was with friends) and all that foam was just gross. Just because pasta and rice are "soft" doesn't mean you should be eating them.

Probably eating too quickly plus the foods are not sitting well.

Slow down a bit and stop completely once burping vomiting occurs

Check with your team if they want you to have pasta/brown rice now.

Good Luck 💙

To early to tell I feel it is the food. try very simple food first - Shrimp is great just boil shrimp NO old bay or oils etc. Or a soft boiled egg - You may be getting used to eating is all

I to this day can not handle certain foods - Weird but they just dont go down right

@S@ssen@ch you are right. I shouldn’t be eating Pasta or rice. I usually add like a teaspoon just to make my Protein and veggie meal complete. All amounting to 1/2 a cup. But you’re right. I might be a slow healer and shouldn’t have started eating regular food yet. I guess I was anxious to eat normal food. I’ll go back to the simple stuff or the stage before. Thank you for your feedback. Foamy experience better describes what I go through. I was worried about meeting my protein and nutrition goals if I can’t finish the 1/2cup of food. I think I’ll go back to the soft food stage and start from there. There’s something my body doesn’t like and I’m not sure what it is. It could be the tomatoes, onions and bell peppers I cook my veggies and protein in. I’ll give my diet a closer look. Thanks :)

@GreenTealael I will do that. Thank you. I think I might also be eating too quickly yet to me I consider it slow since I’m counting between bites so compared to before, it’s slow. But I suppose I need to slow down even more. Take more time between bites so I can better recognize the feeling of being full before the burping even starts. My plan says to eat healthy whole grain foods in very small quantities. It could be my body is not ready for it. I will call and inquire more on it. Thank you.

@Aj Tylo I’ll do that. Simple foods first.l and I’ll give shrimp a try. Thank you for your feedback.