Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone else always Thirsty?

Hi, is anyone else always thirsty ? I am 12 weeks post op and keep wanting to drink Water with half the glass filled with ice cubes . I’ve read that it can be an Iron deficiency to want to eat ice cubes , but I don’t want to crunch them, I just want them in the drink , or to make ice chippings and eat them.

I always want sharp tasting things too. How long do we have to sip our drinks for, and hsve to

wait half an hour between eating and drinking ? Or is it an ongoing thing ?

I dont sip. Havent since couple days post op gastric bypass. I'm thirsty too but we are basically on a Keto diet after surgery. When I was on the keto diet before surgery I was always super thirsty. So I think that might be normal. Not sure on not drinking before, during, or after. I can tell when you when I didnt adhere to that rule and ate too soon after I drank, I could only fit 2 or 3 bites in because my stomach was already full. I go tomorrow to have my 6 week check up with blood draw. Have they checked your blood yet for any deficiencies?

I remember being sooooo dry all the time during the first few months. My water bottle never left my side. I am 9 months out and still cannot gulp - maybe 3 good swallows is all I can do at once. But I have a sipping routine that gets me at least 64 - 80 ounces a day. 100 + on exercise days.

I have never been real good at the Fluid restriction before and after meals. I have an esophageal stricture due to removal of a tumor several years ago, and I have to often take sips during a meal to make sure the food goes down. It is what it is. I do try to wait a bit before and after eating , but I've never set my clock for it.

Yeah since about day 4 post op I can drink a fair amount but my thirst is because of my kidneys mostly...

Still have to be careful just to take smaller mouth full at one time but still easily getting in 100oz a day plus shakes..

Still much less than before surgery...

OMG--I am eight months out and am ALWAYS thirsty! (I was thinking of starting this as a new thread as well!) I am able to gulp at this point and I get plenty of Water (at least 90 oz per day), but I'm still thirsty if I go 30 minutes or more without drinking. I hate the 30-minute rule about drinking before and after meals!

I've learned to carry a bottle of water with me everywhere and drink constantly, although that's not always possible. I don't love being thirsty all the time, but I suppose it's better than being severely overweight and not being able to walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like I need to lie down!

Edited by Recidivist

Hi , thank you everyone who replied to my post about being thirsty . I’m sorry I couldn’t reply , but couldn’t get any emails due to a glitch in my system. SO frustrating ! Ive got them back now , and am currently going through 400 and something of them ! Hope everyone is doing good .