Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dairy reaction

I ate a small 4 oz container of yogurt yesterday. I think I am experiencing dumping. Although this is so much worse than I imagined. I have been so sick for the last 17 hours. I can’t keep anything down and minimal rest on bathroom floor. How long does this last?

What were your symptoms?

Dumping syndrome can occur in 2 phases and is usually resolved in 2-3 hours. Early phase symptoms begin 10-39 minutes and include cramping, feeling of fullness, nausea/vomiting, flushed skin, diarrhea. Late phase occurs within 3 hours and includes dizziness, fatigue, increased heart rate, flushing/sweating, weakness.

If I had to guess, it's more like 1 of 2 things: food poisoning or a stomach bug.

Either way, try to stay hydrated. If it lasts more than 24 hours, I'd call my doc.

Edited by S@ssen@ch
additional info added

Doesn't dumping come out the other end? Very interested to know. Ive not heard of it coming as vomit. I've heard of getting stuck and throwing up.

Could it have been food poisoning?

My dumping was both ends. Went to walk in clinic and had Iv fluids with lots of Zofran. Dr guessed that yogurt is not a great idea this early. Insane how sick I was.

thank you for input. I’m going back to clear Protein Drink for Breakfast

I had my surgery 10/22 and I've been eating yogurt since 5 days post-op without issue. I want to introduce dairy back into my system as soon as possible to make sure I don't get lactose intolerant.

I still feel awful. Maybe it bothered me because I had black coffee yesterday. Something is off in my gut. I’m going to stick with Water today and stay away from food.

It’s very interesting that you had no reaction at 5 days. I am going to increase my antacids and see if that helps

It will be next time!

I was strictly told to avoid caffeine for at least 6 months after surgery. I've been having a yogurt almost daily for over a week, no issues. Hope it gets better for you!