Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can eat basically anything

On 11/3/2019 at 11:58 PM, Mikeyy said:

I'm only on liquids but I found I can drink more than most people say 7 days post op

Same! On my day 3 post-op follow up phone call I was almost chastised for how many oz of liquid I was taking in. I didn't want to get dehydrated!

I had bypass on 10/22. My doctor said I should drink 4 16oz bottles of Water not including my 2protrein shakes. That what he yold me on my 2 wk ckup

27 minutes ago, Afevans44 said:

I had bypass on 10/22. My doctor said I should drink 4 16oz bottles of Water not including my 2protrein shakes. That what he yold me on my 2 wk ckup

I'm 9 days out and I'm easy drinking 64oz a day plus shakes but I was even thirstier before RNY surgery! Just take smaller mouthful than used to just to be safe

Do u know why

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Eating everything was a before thing.

I can speak from experience, nearly three years out.

Pre-op weight 234

My low weight after one year = 114lbs

My highest since op 141lbs.

Where did that 27lbs come from?

Not from eating everything, but from a very specific kind of food...

Guessed it yet?

Junk.

By which I mean all processed foods containing sugar (75% of packaged food in the supermarket) and simple carbs like potato and Pasta.

I'm a week clean from this stuff and the brain fog is clearing.

I've watched 'that sugar film' and 'the bitter truth' but what got me to stop was Allen Carr's 'the easy way to stop bad sugar'.

I won't give advice, I hope my story speaks loud on its own.

I'm still a healthy weight, though I'm hoping I lose about half the gained pounds (I'm told I looked gaunt at my lowest). I feel I caught it in the nick of time.

I've been a recovering alcoholic most of my adult life. My experience with refined, processed sugars has been very similar (just no arrests for ice-cream ingestion).

What were the worst things?

Reactive hyper-glycaemia, constant nausea, obsessive thoughts, a scale creeping upwards and an attendant despair and shame...

You make your own choices but education helps you make better ones.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Eating everything was a before thing.

I can speak from experience, nearly three years out.

Pre-op weight 234

My low weight after one year = 114lbs

My highest since op 141lbs.

Where did that 27lbs come from?

Not from eating everything, but from a very specific kind of food...

Guessed it yet?

Junk.

By which I mean all processed foods containing sugar (75% of packaged food in the supermarket) and simple carbs like potato and Pasta.

I'm a week clean from this stuff and the brain fog is clearing.

I've watched 'that sugar film' and 'the bitter truth' but what got me to stop was Allen Carr's 'the easy way to stop bad sugar'.

I won't give advice, I hope my story speaks loud on its own.

I'm still a healthy weight, though I'm hoping I lose about half the gained pounds (I'm told I looked gaunt at my lowest). I feel I caught it in the nick of time.

I've been a recovering alcoholic most of my adult life. My experience with refined, processed sugars has been very similar (just no arrests for ice-cream ingestion).

What were the worst things?

Reactive hyper-glycaemia, constant nausea, obsessive thoughts, a scale creeping upwards and an attendant despair and shame...

You make your own choices but education helps you make better ones.

And hi greenteal 😃

On 11/3/2019 at 12:09 PM, MsMocie said:

Hello,

I have made a point of trying to eat different foods over the past week. Everything from junk to cottage cheese, to establish a base line of my new stomach.

I find that I don't have so many restrictions for my stomach, they are at large more for my tastebuds.

And I was thinking - why does someone react to almost anything but someone else can eat almost anything?

Fizzy drinks - not an issue for me, but it doesn't tast anything and I cannot chomp a whole can

Junk - I can eat 3-4 fries but any fried meats going with it taste horrible

meat - the best thing for me is beaf (red meat) the worst is chicken (which is ironically the thing they told me I would be living on, and the only thing that gives me severe pain)

Vegetabels - every normal vegetable for me

Fruits - everything normal to me besides appels and oranges

Breads - white bread and whole wheats are the best. No baguetts or "thick" breads like bagutes, rolls etc

cheese - regular white cheese, cheddar, mozzarella etc. Ironically low fat cheese gives me pains.

candy - chocolate and certain types of chips. The baked ones are best. Healtier as well. Regular cream based icecream is a winner too.

Sugar and sweet n low I can use, I can not use artificial other sweetners.

I don't like every food I've tried, and I don't like a lot food that I used to like and eat before, like sausages, patties, meat balls etc. I also don't think chocolate is any good anymore.

But I am concerned a bit. I haven't had a single dumping. I have thrown up 2 times. I drink a little with meals because I hate the taste and feeling of the after tast after eating.

Why do I have to so easily compared to many others?

I'm not as familiar with mini GB, but I know with standard RNY, dumping is one of the "tools" that you may or may not get from the surgery... I know my doctor advised me that it is not something everyone experiences (because I mentioned wanting the RNY over sleeve because I wanted that tool). I don't seem to experience traditional dumping syndrome, but I do seem to get adverse reactions to some things... and sometimes I get adverse reactions to things I've had the day before without issue. I think it varies wildly from person to person, and sometimes even day to day, and I'm not sure there's a specific "why" - I don't know that there's enough science yet to determine that. But I would say don't assume that your current baseline will be your baseline in a year or for the rest of your life, and stick to your plan as closely as you can. Even if you may seemingly have it easier than others, don't let that stop you from eating the way you should - you've got this!

On 11/04/2019 at 06:40, FluffyChix said:

I guess I just have to second this...Please stop testing. Please start testing how many days you can follow your doc's plan without cheating. Otherwise, why on earth get the surgery?

Same.
I’m extremely confused as to why try to eat off plan.
That’s what led us to needing WLS to start with

Some (many?) of us were led there by being on the dieting-merry-go-round. First diet, then overeat.

Why so many people are dead set on continuing this vicious cycle after WLS is beyond me.

Having high hopes and being absolutely sure that WLS will finally enable you to follow this strict diet you were never able to follow long term before surgery forever now? Look at the plethora of "HELP!! I've fallen off the wagon!!" posts and think again.

Can't wait to get this weight finally off forever or Aunt Fannie told you that weight loss is virtually "impossible" after the "honeymoon window has closed" so one has to lose all of the excess weight within a year? Understandable, but slow and steady can win this long race as well.

As long as the weight is going into the right direction and nutritional needs are met - why bother? If one has so much fear of certain foods or certain macronutrients that they need to be avoided at all costs forever, it might be worth devoting some headwork time to this issue. Makes life less stressful in the long run.

I personally think of getting rid of dichotomous thinking in regards to food and exercise as a major prediction factor when it comes to reaching a normal weight and maintaining it, e. g. reading on flexible control vs. rigid control of diet is definitely worth the time.

While i haven't tried a ton of real foods, ones i have had dont bother me either and i think its weird. I dumped once trying a high Protein black bean Pasta (25grams of protein per serving) welp i took one bite and my stomach didn't like it. I dont eat meat and rarely have fish (but I am trying to force myself to get in my protein not from dairy or shakes) so i have to find high Proteins other places, so i get the confusion. I tried sushi and had zero issues. Granted i ate 2 pieces and was full, but still zero issues. I am both grateful and also a tad freaked out. Some people have Iron stomachs I guess. Is the fear that since you have no restrictions that you won't have the built in "tool" to help you not eat bad foods? Thats my fear. Like i hear of people having sugar and then dumping. And the dumping is like the slap on the hand and the consequences of bad choices but if there is no "punishment" then the urge to cheat is there because you know you won't pay the price and so why get the surgery? Almost like your tool doesn't work? I am like 99% sure if i did eat something super sugary I wouldn't dump either. So its scary and hard -I totally get it. You want to see your boundaries so you know what your limits are, and if you have no limits then all bets are off. Thats a scary place to be because that's why most of us got the surgery in the first place.

I want to add something to my above post:

Some users on this thread talked about "not following the plan" or "one shouldn't test food that aren't on the plan".

Well, not all plans are the same.

I went back to the first post in this thread and most of the foods I saw listed there seem to be fine to eat. Not all plans damn foods like bread, rice, Pasta, potatoes, fruit etc. into deepest hell. In fact I can remember that thin mashed potatoes was one of the recommended foods during the first four weeks, so was apple sauce with quark or yoghurt and that we should start eating bread after four weeks with "soft, not-toasted toast bread" (yuck!) and progress from there. Pasta and rice got a warning sign that not everyone's stomach or pouch can handle them and we should eat them with caution the first times.

We got instructions on the minimum amount of Protein we should reach but nobody talked about an upper calorie limit, especially not a really low one for months on end.

What we always seem to talk about here seems to be the plans that are popular and/or common in the US (understandably because most users seem to live there). However, different countries have different "common staple foods" and I think it's quite rude to not taking this into consideration when starting to criticize the food choices of a user. Maybe eating bread is on their allowed foods list?

That said, I sometimes wonder how a post-WLS diet plan might look like in e. g. India or Japan.

Edited by summerset
added something

You make a great point summerset. On another thread people are discussing carbonated drinks- I was told none forever and other people their Drs said sure in 4 week which is nuts how one dr can say one thing and others something different because then it’s based on their personal opinions and not science!!! Like Drs in Europe say you can have coffee after surgery even non Decaf but in the states most say only decaf and I bet in. Japan where tea is prevalent it’s probably fine to have it even with caffeine so it makes me wonder what the truth is. If it’s whatever your dr says and not science based post surgery then it’s hard not to question. My plan said in the soft stages I could have sugar free ice cream- full fat ice cream but no sugar and I tried Keto ice cream. And for my Dr that was totally ON PLAN. So I agree. In Asia I am sure they have rice pretty quickly there. Find out what works for your body bec clearly the lines of yes and no varies by dr and country and so then it’s just opinion and not science dictating the rules

“the plan” give newbies time to learn that instructions/diets are different. Follow “your own medical professionals plan” Trust your medical professionals over random strangers on this site.

Many are successful simply following their own instructions. They are consistent not perfect. There is no judgment in taking a moderate or more compliant approach working your plan. Be happy with your own progress and outcomes.

It’s not surprising to see people struggling with eating disorders. Dichotomous mind set - Strict unrealistic diet and rigorous unsustainable exercise routine. All or nothing thinking. May cause binge restricting eating. Hope they acknowledge the behavior and get the help they need.

On 11/10/2019 at 17:00, Healthy_life2 said:

“the plan” give newbies time to learn that instructions/diets are different. Follow “your own medical professionals plan” Trust your medical professionals over random strangers on this site.

Many are successful simply following their own instructions. They are consistent not perfect. There is no judgment in taking a moderate or more compliant approach working your plan. Be happy with your own progress and outcomes.

It’s not surprising to see people struggling with eating disorders. Dichotomous mind set - Strict unrealistic diet and rigorous unsustainable exercise routine. All or nothing thinking. May cause binge restricting eating. Hope they acknowledge the behavior and get the help they need.

Yes!

Balance is key, and I guess I just don’t understand pushing boundaries intentionally.

Seems like a very slippery slope