Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can eat basically anything

Hello,

I have made a point of trying to eat different foods over the past week. Everything from junk to cottage cheese, to establish a base line of my new stomach.

I find that I don't have so many restrictions for my stomach, they are at large more for my tastebuds.

And I was thinking - why does someone react to almost anything but someone else can eat almost anything?

Fizzy drinks - not an issue for me, but it doesn't tast anything and I cannot chomp a whole can

Junk - I can eat 3-4 fries but any fried meats going with it taste horrible

meat - the best thing for me is beaf (red meat) the worst is chicken (which is ironically the thing they told me I would be living on, and the only thing that gives me severe pain)

Vegetabels - every normal vegetable for me

Fruits - everything normal to me besides appels and oranges

Breads - white bread and whole wheats are the best. No baguetts or "thick" breads like bagutes, rolls etc

Cheese - regular white cheese, cheddar, mozzarella etc. Ironically low fat cheese gives me pains.

candy - chocolate and certain types of chips. The baked ones are best. Healtier as well. Regular cream based icecream is a winner too.

Sugar and sweet n low I can use, I can not use artificial other sweetners.

I don't like every food I've tried, and I don't like a lot food that I used to like and eat before, like sausages, patties, meat balls etc. I also don't think chocolate is any good anymore.

But I am concerned a bit. I haven't had a single dumping. I have thrown up 2 times. I drink a little with meals because I hate the taste and feeling of the after tast after eating.

Why do I have to so easily compared to many others?

28 minutes ago, MsMocie said:

Why do I have to so easily compared to many others?

The people who don't have problems tend to not post about it very much. By far not everyone dumps or dumps only after a certain amount of a certain food.

I have dumped a few times, but oddly enough it was from things I had been eating just days earlier. But otherwise, I do have problems with toast with jam and butter (I know...not a good meal)...and I have one coffee house that for some reason, no matter what I try there, I dump massively. I wonder if they put tons of sugar in EVERYTHING that they have. I can basically only drink tea while Im there, but go there often to get out of the house and get some real work done in peace.

You are only 2 1/2 months post op, why are you trying to "establish a baseline" already? So much will change over the next few months. And, my personal philosophy is, just because you can eat it doesn't mean you should. Probably best to stick to you team's guidelines.

agree with the others. Stick to your plan. A lot of people never make it to goal and/or gain back a lot of their weight. Don't be one of them.

51 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Hi!

I was wondering why did you try the experiment? Did you not have a plan set up to follow?

I guess I just have to second this...Please stop testing. Please start testing how many days you can follow your doc's plan without cheating. Otherwise, why on earth get the surgery?

7 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

agree with the others.

I doubt you'd agree with my opinion on this issue. ;)

3 minutes ago, summerset said:

I doubt you'd agree with my opinion on this issue. ;)

do you mean about the dumping? I agree with that. I've never dumped - and I know lots of other RNY'ers who've never dumped.

No, I meant my opinion on trying out foods. :)

I tried out a lot of foods myself after being cleared for all foods. I think I tried out most foods between week 8 and 12 or so, at least IIRC. Never regretted it. I somehow have the impression though that my team's "guidelines" were and are quite different.

Interestingly enough what I could tolerate or not kept (and obviously keeps) changing. I can remember that I felt a wave of nausea whenever I only thought about eating tofu or soy milk. After about 10 or 11 months out I got my appetite for it back. Then I noticed some more months down the road that dairy made me have reflux again. Animal Proteins and fats in general are incredibly hard on my stomach since a few weeks as well (I ate the occasional egg or tuna before that).

Why even try to find out what makes you dump? It is NOT a pleasant experience (this coming from someone who dumps OFTEN from foods that are all approved by my team) and not something I'd go out searching for. If I found out I could get away with certain foods, I don't know if I would have the willpower to stick to the plan. I HAVE cheated twice and BOTH times I got ridiculously ill. BUT, I knew (suspected) 100% I would get sick but did it anyways like an idiot. And never going to eat those foods ever again! *ahem mozzarella sticks and boneless wings ahem* Believe me, you don't WANT to find the foods that make you sick. Just stick to your book (assuming you have one).

That's also why I admire sleevers. I love the dumping effect because THE FEAR of it keeps me in check. If I knew it wouldn't happen, I don't know if I would have made it. Negative reinforcement ftw.

Edited by mousecat88

I havent had any problems. I'm not experimenting though. Just sticking with the prescribed diet.

I'm only on liquids but I found I can drink more than most people say 7 days post op
I can drink alot too. It's been a blessing to not be dehydrated. That was my initial worry.

20 hours ago, mousecat88 said:

Why even try to find out what makes you dump? It is NOT a pleasant experience (this coming from someone who dumps OFTEN from foods that are all approved by my team) and not something I'd go out searching for.

Yeah, and it's worse to dump in public/at work/wherever than at home! So if you try out what makes you dump and what doesn't - not the worst of all strategies, especially because dumping can occur after eating so called approved foods (whatever they may include depending on different teams and countries).

I always tried "new" foods at home in case they would make me sick.