Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fish & chips?

Now I know fish and chips aren't considered healthy. I've done Keto for about 4-5 months now, had Gastric bypass 10/21, looking forward to getting back to keto because I do like that lifestyle (when I can eat normal again), but i wanted to treat myself for once, does anybody know if fish and chips will digest properly 4 weeks post op(soft food stage)?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Hmmm. This *likely* isn't on any post op plan at soft stage/4 weeks post op but just incase check with your NUT/Dietician/Surgeon to see exactly what the professionals say 😉

I tried a little and it didn't sit well in my stomach. This was probably 6 weeks post op.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I couldn't handle anything oily for quite a while, like 4 months or longer. ymmv

That would have made me sick until month 5 or so.

See my profile picture - Heed this warning do not try it -

However I do make a form of fish and chips that i can handle 4 months out - I cook for two kids so you may want to split this is alot of fish

-1 pound Grouper Fresh - (Sub soft white fish)

Batter - I use a light flour 1 cup, 2 cups flax seed - 1 cup panko light. - Everyglades seasoning, old by and salt and pepper - This is the dry mix

Next take 4 eggs and whip the heck out of them in a nutra bullet- add a little Water so you have a runny egg mixture

Take the fish dry and lightly dust with the dry mix - Light as you can just to remove the moisture from the fish - KEY KEY KEY - leave sit for awhile 10 minutes - Now into the eggs - KEY KEY KEY let sit - Now lightly dust again with the dry mix - You are not rolling it into the dry mix for a thick batter - I use a shaker to dust it on.

Next key thing - NO FRYING

USE A AIR FRYER - NO GREASE OR OIL - It will be very good but will not be loaded with the breeding and the greese.

I can't even handle fish & chips at 4.5 years post-op. TOO.MUCH.GREASE.

This would make me sick as a dog. Both the fries and the battered fish.

4 minutes ago, mousecat88 said:

This would make me sick as a dog. Both the fries and the battered fish.

me too - I'd be vomiting all evening. Ugh.

another thing - at four weeks out, I was probably eating around 500 calories a day. That's probably like one piece of battered fried fish. WAY too much for one month out. Bad idea. Same with fries. Maybe a piece of baked fish would work.

1 hour ago, AJ Tylo said:

See my profile picture - Heed this warning do not try it -

However I do make a form of fish and chips that i can handle 4 months out - I cook for two kids so you may want to split this is alot of fish

-1 pound Grouper Fresh - (Sub soft white fish)

Batter - I use a light flour 1 cup, 2 cups flax seed - 1 cup panko light. - Everyglades seasoning, old by and salt and pepper - This is the dry mix

Next take 4 eggs and whip the heck out of them in a nutra bullet- add a little Water so you have a runny egg mixture

Take the fish dry and lightly dust with the dry mix - Light as you can just to remove the moisture from the fish - KEY KEY KEY - leave sit for awhile 10 minutes - Now into the eggs - KEY KEY KEY let sit - Now lightly dust again with the dry mix - You are not rolling it into the dry mix for a thick batter - I use a shaker to dust it on.

Next key thing - NO FRYING

USE A AIR FRYER - NO GREASE OR OIL - It will be very good but will not be loaded with the breeding and the greese.

Great tips!

Only problem is the OP is 4 weeks post op 😔

Sorry as for the chips thing - Good luck with that, There is not a chance in hell even with a culinary degree I will ever touch a potato again, Those things got me into this mess. I Really from a food science view see any way to prep a carb so you can handle it. Especially this early. Rice is half that of potatoes and it raises hell all over this site with people, I just stay clear of that - I would say over a hour you could handle a 5oz pre cook weight of white fluffy wet fish, Grouper, Halibut, Snapper, - I would not do any fresh Water fish yet, they are denser and usually tougher.

As my side for above i puree squash and goes real well -

Are you for real

No, plain and simple