Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Head hunger post op!!

Hi everyone! I recently had sleeve surgery on October 22, 2019. Prior to surgery I was on a 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I couldn’t wait for my surgery because I was under the impression that I would be having to force down liquids after and have no desire towards food/eating. I was WRONG.

I am not technically hungry, but I am finding that I am having obsessive thoughts over food/the comfort of food that consumes me most of the day. When I see someone eating a nice salad, I kind of wish I could have some etc. TV commercials and smelling food is torture.

Does anyone else experience this craving or food obsession post op? I am shocked as I thought I would have zero desire to eat. On the other hand - Over 3 weeks of liquid only is no joke. Thanks y’all!!

-Melissa

Welcome to the Jungle - You are not hungry and it will pass- Read my post from yesterday please - Everyone has gone thru what you are going thru, Re Focus you are still addicted to food F#$ck Food! - You may be thirsty and it is appearing to be hunger pains, but since you got all the nerves cut out there is no way your stomach is hungry.

It is a b***h to get your head going and there are tons of posts on it.

@AJ Tylo thank you so much I was feeling insane, because everyone I ask is like repulsed by food now and I’m like wow hahaha. Not me ha.

Edited by tyesleeve

Hang in there, it is temporary. I was dreaming of pizza and cheeseburgers in the hospital. The TV commercials were my worst enemy at home. 8f you can DVR your shows and fast forward past the commercials. I was hungry until I got to the pureed stage. It definitely will get better. Sip, sip, sip your Water and protien shakes. I am 11 weeks out, obviously still haven't had that piece of pizza but down 45 lbs and am ok without it. Stay strong

@Lbtnew - thank you so so much for your feedback! I can’t wait until the purée stage!! Congratulations on all your success!!!!

Absolutely had the same feelings. I'm eight months post-op and ate a small salad with Protein and an egg for lunch. Loving my life!💗

Edited by gabybab

On 10/31/2019 at 10:51 AM, tyesleeve said:

How long does the docs have you on a liquid diet? I’m one week post op and do over the typical Protein Shakes and broth.

@Lbtnew - thank you so so much for your feedback! I can’t wait until the purée stage!! Congratulations on all your success!!!!

I was miserable post op. And I don’t think it was head hunger but the cravings were. I wanted to chew food so bad. Life got a lot happier once I got my scrambled egg. Lol
I don’t like the term head hunger. Once you stop eating, the body thinks it’s starving. It’s not “head hunger” it’s your body’s response to thinking it is being starved. However, WHAT you want to eat is the issue. You can satisfy hunger with Water or broth or maybe Jello. Saying you’re imagining hunger seems ridiculous to me. Are we at risk of starvation? Of course not. But the body isn’t designed to want to lose weight so that’s not all mental. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Broth and runny grits with a little cheese helped me survive early when the hunger was real and not in my head.
I can eat anything now but certain foods smell awesome but I won’t eat them. Either because I shouldn’t or I know if I do I will feel awful. On the flip side, some foods smell so bad I can’t stand to be near them. So there’s that. You will get through it and it will get better. A lot of us felt the same.

On 10/31/2019 at 6:15 PM, gabybab said:

Absolutely had the same feelings. I'm eight months post-op and ate a small salad with Protein and an egg for lunch. Loving my life!💗

Thank you so much @gabybab that’s so great to hear.

15 hours ago, No Thanks 2 Cake said:

15 hours ago, No Thanks 2 Cake said:

@No Thanks 2 Cake my dr has me on liquids for 14 days!! I am finally on purée, but after meeting with him yesterday - I need to return back to Protein Shakes more because I am not getting enough calories down with food hahahah. The irony. Good luck to you :)

@djgirl19 thank you so much. Yea, to be honest - I don’t know what to call it. I just saw people saying head hunger. What I really want is a damn salad haha. But I’m doing ok with Protein Shakes, Soups etc. I’m going to survive this thing hahah. Thank you so much for your reply. It’s nice to know others felt the same way.

Had my surgery on the same day as you and I totally understand! Going to the grocery store is torture for me. Luckily I didn't have a special pre-op diet other than Clear Liquids the day before surgery.

Peanut Butter has been my savior as I've transitioned into the soft food stage. Just a nice teaspoon of crunchy PB has been great. Stick with it, it gets better!

On 11/07/2019 at 10:02, tyesleeve said:

@djgirl19 thank you so much. Yea, to be honest - I don’t know what to call it. I just saw people saying head hunger. What I really want is a damn salad haha. But I’m doing ok with Protein Shakes, Soups etc. I’m going to survive this thing hahah. Thank you so much for your reply. It’s nice to know others felt the same way.

Oh yea that’s what people call it for sure I just think it’s a deceptive term. The desire to eat junk isn’t hunger. But you still are hungry. It’s hard as heck and I was the same with salad. I was sleeved in the heat of summer and was DYING for a cool crispy salad. I was able to eat it about 6 weeks in, I think. It’s funny, it all seemed like an eternity back then but once you’re on solids, it goes much quicker. liquids was the worst for me. God willing I will never be forced to drink another Protein Shake in my life. Blech.

@djgirl19 I never want to see another Protein Shake Hahahaha

@lvidacovich omg we have to stay strong!! Message me anytime. :)